PDA

View Full Version : paint

stainesy
Monday 27th October 2008, 23:28
i am going to paint my airbox and spark plug cover. what i want to no is do i have to use heat proof paint for those or can i use normal spray paint as they are plastic?

Storm-Troll
Monday 27th October 2008, 23:33
I would recommend Heat Proof stuff mate.. same stuff I use to Paint my Brake Callipers. as its heat proof. AND it says on the paint tin. Also for use in Engine bay where heat is High... normal paint might crack. or if its got stuff in it, could ignite like most normal paints.. I got mine from Halfords... Shhhhhhhhhhhh... lol

badger1980
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 01:28
There u go matey http://search.ebay.co.uk/very-high-temperature-paint_W0QQdfspZ32QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ34QQsbrs rtZd cheaper than cough hellfrauds cough lol think the choice of colours are limited unless somewhere can mix u some or u could try powder coating for something abit different

Tomcat
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 02:09
No, you don't have to use heat proof paint as these parts don't get hot enough. The only thing you must do is make sure you clean them properly prior to painting them, any old oil left on will not only prevent the paint from sticking properly but it will also get hot and expand when the engine warms up. As long as you follow the correct procedures you shouldn't have any major problems. Here's one I did earlier,lol.

badger1980
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 02:24
They look great

volvokid
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 06:24
you stole my parts T/C lol

stainesy
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 07:05
No, you don't have to use heat proof paint as these parts don't get hot enough. The only thing you must do is make sure you clean them properly prior to painting them, any old oil left on will not only prevent the paint from sticking properly but it will also get hot and expand when the engine warms up. As long as you follow the correct procedures you shouldn't have any major problems. Here's one I did earlier,lol.

oh good im glad you showed me that as my best mate is an airbrush artist. going to get him to go mad on my engine.
your stuff look great matey

stephenevans99
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 07:22
When painting plastics I always thought that bodyshops used a 'plasticiser' primer, without it the paint will crack when flexing.

Steve

Tomcat
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 08:59
When I painted mine I used an 'Adhesion promoter' first, to help the paint stick to the plastic, other than that no, it's just straight paint.

abdul
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 11:51
looking great tomcat

cameron
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 15:37
Would Plasticote not be ideal for it ?

Lee

t5 pete
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 16:59
When i did myne i used the promoter then plastic primer then paint then clear coat

jonno12
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 17:02
wow they look good tomcat fancy doing mine :)

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 17:46
They look Good Indeed Tomcat... lol.. Hellfrauds will be out of Bussiness.lol

Tomcat
Tuesday 28th October 2008, 17:54
wow they look good tomcat fancy doing mine :)

Sure, what you want doing?.