PDA

View Full Version : Changing to aftermarket front fogs

vt5
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:19
If you have no fog lamps fitted at all then please read my old Sticky of fitting guide to front fogs - 850 though please note that if you already have front fogs in your bumper, bumper removal is not necessary to change them over to aftermarket ones.

Volvo OE fogs are not the greatest design nor are anything when it comes to performance. They are also very expensive to replace if damaged. :slap:

Having just changed mine for some Ring Micro Cruise Lights £20 a pair, these make great alternative lamps and are great price too and easy to fit. I did mine today which took me at a first go 2 to 3 hours. If done again, it would take no longer than 1 to 2 hours im sure. Most of which was spent drilling the new bracket holes bigger to accept bigger bolts and dodging rain showers. :smile:

Under the front of your car remove the fog brackets with fogs in situ. x2 8mm bolts one on top of the other. Passenger side you can use a small ratchet, drivers side use a spanner and a childs hand if you have one handy. If not then it will hurt but use your own one to do it. :splat:

Remove brackets and lamps disconnecting the loom plug and clipping it in its holder (drivers side bottom of the water reservior, passenger side on the lower engine cover)

Depending on what type of fogs you use, buy or make some wide L shaped brackets. (B+Q = 88p each) You will need enough space for 2 support holes to attach the bracket to the pre existing Volvo ones to keep your fogs solid once fitted.

Using the Volvo bracket on its own, attach the L shaped new bracket to the bottom of the OE one so it mates "reflection style". Back to back. Use the inner edge hole on the OE bracket to attach the new one, other wise your lamp will not match your bumper fog hole.

Reverse the lamp bracket for your new fogs and mock up to make sure that your new fogs protrude forwards and meet the pre cut holes in your bumper.

I used some nuts and bolts half tightened to make sure everything was to fit perfectly once finished.

Remove both brackets together once everything matches up and bolt them tight fitting your lamps at the same time (think angle of beam) I painted all brackets and fittings with cheap satin black to ensure bolts didnt work lose down the line.

Next leaving enough wire to refit if required, clip off the Volvo connectors and fit spades to the ends of the stripped cables. Plug in your new lamps and your done. Easy isnt it. :wink:

What a difference and cheap to replace if damaged.

Justin
Monday 2nd May 2005, 20:47
:worthless

rich850t5
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 22:00
C'mon weres the pics

vt5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 11:22
Justin, you know im useless at pictures, im a complete dummy when it comes to that stuff.

I can take some and email them to you? does that help or do you have an idiots guide to linking in pics once they are on your computer?

I'll go and take some now.

Justin
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 11:37
Lol, yes mate email them over and ill host them :)

vt5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 11:51
Mail them to VolvoT5.co.uk Webmaster?

If not then what email address....

Pics are good to go :dunce:

Justin
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 12:09
justin @ volvo t5 .co.uk

Spaces for spam reasons :)

nikgallagher
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 12:44
Always wondered why people put email addresses down like that. Is there a laymans explanation available for the non-IT people like me?

siamblue
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 14:17
Its something to do with companies collecting data off the web and then spamming the email addresses or selling the address to a spammer.

vt5
Wednesday 4th May 2005, 23:16
Sent... :biggrin: