PDA

View Full Version : scan tool

ikp_77
Friday 24th October 2008, 16:09
just got a scan tec tool elm327 for me s70r 1998 how dose it work i put the disc in loaded it up and tryed it in the car it came up unable to read dievce me and pc do nt go at all lol

Alan M
Friday 24th October 2008, 16:12
Those units are known to be poor devices to use. I have one and haven't found a car it works on yet. You can buy the genuine elmscan 5 unit and that will work but the cheap copies from Hong Kong are very poor.

siamblue
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:19
I got mine on Pistonheads in the for sale ads, the guy lives and works in Camberley Surrey,
I also noticed it hardly works on a Volvo 98 4.4 but works well on the ME7 or above,

Gary.

ikp_77
Saturday 25th October 2008, 15:34
chears were would i find a elm5 unit many thanks

CONDYBOY
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:53
I had to install something called a "port emulator" (Ithink) for the elmscan327 to connect to a renault, but it won't connect to my volvo as it is a different protocol! not sure about yours tho'

ajma
Monday 27th October 2008, 22:28
It works on the Motronic 4.4 engines (mine's a '98 2.5 LPT and it works fine). I've also used it successfully on an Accord too.

I got a nice cheap one from Ebay and am just using the free Scantool.net program on Windows or Linux.

Be aware that the device almost certainly needs power from the car to work properly, so plug it into the OBDII socket and turn the key to the last-but-one position first to be sure it has it.

You need to install the drivers for the device which should have come with it - Windows should spot that you've plugged in the device and ask for drivers.

After you've got that done, it should show up in Device Manager as a USB COM port (mine comes up as com7 on Windows).

Start scantool.net, choose the correct com port and set the speed right down at the slowest available to begin with, and you should then be able to read or clear codes. Of course, it can only deal with Engine codes, not gearbox/body electrics etc...