PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5, more go.

Pages : [1] 2

tigran
Friday 24th October 2008, 13:13
Hey all. Just wanting to inject a fair bit more pace into my T5, gave RICA a ring about it and apparently as it's pre 2000 they won't touch it? Is that right? It's a 1994 T5 so an early one, if the rica thing is right can anyone suggest a good place to get a remap for it?

Also as i'm not familiar with the cars are the volvo auto boxes as weak as the saab auto boxes? What kind of power can the T5 auto's handle?

Thanks in advance.

badger1980
Friday 24th October 2008, 13:21
As long as the box is in good nic and has regular oil changes in can handle 300bhp

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 13:25
dont know why rica have said they cant do your model as there many hundreds of rica'd 850 t5s, try hamish on here (hml tuning) is half the price too

tigran
Friday 24th October 2008, 13:41
dont know why rica have said they cant do your model as there many hundreds of rica'd 850 t5s, try hamish on here (hml tuning) is half the price too

I'll give that a try. Cheers.

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 15:59
Hamish does a 304 i think its just nearly the same as rica its £150 and well worth it give him a call

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 19:06
good idea to fit an oil cooler to your gearbox to keep it safe.

you could also try kalmar union who was fitting an MTE stage 1 to a 94 850 when i went there a couple of weeks back.

Baj
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:01
Tig, Russ at RT is good on the power upgrades too
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:11
im sure you wont find any upgrade any cheaper or better than the one hamish offers

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:34
im sure you wont find any upgrade any cheaper or better than the one hamish offers

Cheapest?yes

Better?I think you will find that there is much better then the maps Hamish is selling

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:41
and what are they then?

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:42
would you say the real rica 304 is beter than hamish's one? as im about to make my choice ecu wise.

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:57
Hamish has been tunin volvos for years he has done myne also hamish has done 100's most likey a few thousand volvos his 304 is just the same as a rica if not better give him a ring and have a talk to him he knows his s**t tell him ive sent you and that im more than happy with myne

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:58
thanks for that mate, uv comfimed my original thoughts, think will go the hml route.

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:01
Trust me hamish is a very decent bloke and he sure does know what hes on about his 304 has transformed my car i was gunna do the rica when i first started lookin and thank god i found hamish

volvolised
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:15
Pete.. no no no. i'll pm you...

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:16
pete, i have had no dealings with hamish, if you say he's a decent bloke and you're happy with your upgrade i'm sure that's true. but that's not FACT, it's an opinion.

have you any experience of any other maps ? if you have then your opinion would hold more weight. i get the impression though that you haven't.

i'm not saying one is better then the other by the way. if someone needs info, good or bad, it's all out there and can be found if one searches.

one fact is that hamish has said that the rica claims are optimistic.

i have been in cars with a rica and mte map. where the actuator hasn't been tweaked i couldn't tell much of a difference in delivery.

i have also been in a car with a rica map that had AFRs of 16 under boost. that is dangerously lean.

at the end of the day, my point is, lets not confuse opinions with facts.

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:18
and what are they then?

PLEASE!!!!

As for bigging up Hamish YOUR HAVING A LAUGH

Your stating thats Hamish's maps is much better then the Rica'MTE'TME???

Have you ever tried any of the above?I would think not.So what are you comparing Hamish's map against?

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:29
Hello irf i get what your meaning but when i first wanted a rica 304 i went to a dealer in doncaster it was £350 and he couldnt assure anything all he said to me is once you leave my forecourt if something goes wrong its up to you, when i went to hml tuning he said dont expect to get the 304bhp its just a guide line rica use and the figures are most likley to be around 250's if you look on his web site he gaurentees the 304 for as long as you have your car so if there is any problem with it send it back and it will be sorted he was so much more helpfull than the bloke who supplied the rica also i have spoken to many peole who has had the hamish 304 and they are all happy with it and most of them say its just the same as the rica or better which i have put in my post also i am friends with the fella who MOTS my car i told him about having the upgrade and to cheack my emmisions his reply was that there spot on and couldnt get much better
pete

Tomcat
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:31

I think Pete just means that at the moment HLM is doing a damn good price on these remaps.

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:34
and misty i never said his maps whas much better i satated they were like the rica or better which is my oppinion and have spoke to a few ppl who has it done and they have said the same.
I have open views and am always wanting to learn if you know something i dont about the 304 or you know of bad experinces please let me know but up to now i havent heard a bad thing about him

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:35
fair enough pete, good for you but again lets not confuse opinion with facts.

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:35
Thankyou tc all i want to do is help

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:37
Will some one please give me the facts then knoledge is power

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:39
fair enough pete, but lets not confuse opinion with fact.

i don't think there are any other maps as cheap as £150, you're right as far as i know. but better? there's no way you (or i) could possibly say.

it's a small point, it doesn't need to be laboured but in my opinion it is quite an important point.

edit. sorry, kind of a double post. didn't see the original post.

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:46
and misty i never said his maps whas much better i satated they were like the rica or better which is my oppinion and have spoke to a few ppl who has it done and they have said the same.
I have open views and am always wanting to learn if you know something i dont about the 304 or you know of bad experinces please let me know but up to now i havent heard a bad thing about him

Ever time this topic comes to light I normally get banned so I'm not going to mention how bad and Dishonest Hamish is

All I will say is don't expect a full refund when your engine goes BANG I would also recommend you getting your AFR's read

Don't the bells start wringing when someone offers a product 50% cheaper than anyone else for no apparent reason?

Yosser
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:46
Will some one please give me the facts then knowledge is power

ok :)

[please note: I'm not expressing an opinion, just giving actual factual results ;)]

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:52
hi yosser what does all that mean on them graphs i know about bhp tourque but what is it showing i havent got a clue

flyingbrick
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:53
Hi. Can you please tell me were hamish is bassed in the u.k. cheers.

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:55
also is afs the same as emmisions e.g. the car is runnig too rich or not

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:57
it birmingham but have a good read to this thread i thought hamish was A1 i havent had any problems with his 304 but lots of ppl seem to think different i dont want you going on me word if there is something wrong with his 304

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:59
hi yosser what does all that mean on them graphs i know about bhp tourque but what is it showing i havent got a clue

My point exactly Pete

Hamish has a habbit of selling/fitting his maps with out giving a RR printout

And ask your self why is that?

Like irf mentioned before about someone running very lean (high 16 AFR)on full boost.Well that person was me and Hamish even convinced me that my car was running perfectly although the boost was very erratic

I was persuaded to fit an Innovate gauge to find what my AFR's was reading.Only to find my fuelling couldn't cope and my ECU was pulling the timing to protect my engine from melting due to lack of fuel

Yosser
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:00
Power and torque are self explanatory (I think), the other 2 graphs are AFR (air fuel ratio) and boost (in psi).

Irf has mentioned (correctly) how important AFR's are. I have to concede to not being too clued up on this, but I think the lower the number the richer the mixture. As far as I am aware the AFR graph for my car is acceptable, it certainly isn't up near the 16 that Irf mentioned as being dangerous.

Word of caution though, this is my car - not yours. They're all going to give different results (although I would hope not wildly different).

flyingbrick
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:02
it birmingham but have a good read to this thread i thought hamish was A1 i havent had any problems with his 304 but lots of ppl seem to think different i dont want you going on me word if there is something wrong with his 304

o.k. cheers fella.........

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:08
misty did you have the 304 from hamish if so in high gears did your car hav a slight miss or a ping (hard to explain) when im in 5th gear on motorway at speed if i floor it i keep having a slight ping of miss if you get what i mean ive been out in my mate saphire cosworth and his does the same i just thought it is what the car does when its pushing more power out he has a bigger turbo injectors etc and just had the ecu reprogramed and he said it was a bit better but it was to do with his boost being unstable it higher gears and needed a boost controller.

Tomcat
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:14
I got mine rolling roaded when I had mine done at HLM, and I got a printout, this included the AFR which was around 12 at 5k

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:14
misty did you have the 304 from hamish if so in high gears did your car hav a slight miss or a ping (hard to explain) when im in 5th gear on motorway at speed if i floor it i keep having a slight ping of miss if you get what i mean ive been out in my mate saphire cosworth and his does the same i just thought it is what the car does when its pushing more power out he has a bigger turbo injectors etc and just had the ecu reprogramed and he said it was a bit better but it was to do with his boost being unstable it higher gears and needed a boost controller.

Pete my car was very erratic in every gear whilst giving it full boost and WOT

Im a firm believer that the standard injectors arent capable of supplying enough fuel

The best thing would be if I lake it to your RR next year then you will be able to compare both car's

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:16
I got mine rolling roaded when I had mine done at HLM, and I got a printout, this included the AFR which was around 12 at 5k

Craig get the printout posted up then please or I will never buy another thing off you again;)

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:23
hmm which one to go for!! lol, half the reason i got a t5 was so i could go the rica route, and was set on that till i was told about the cheaper hml option, how ever i guess there is no way of gauranteing that its up to the rica standards, im sure its very good but 250ish bhp is only a 10% increase which is a bit weak for remappin a turbo car.

so i guess it comes down to the question is it worth forkin out the extra £200 on peace of mind and a rollin road print out, and im starting to think maybe it is

also it was mentioned that someone had seen a rica'd t5 running dangerously lean but have heard from many other sources that rica is set up slighty rich? maybe an air leak or another such problem formed on this car as i doubt rica would let it go out like that?

any thoughts?

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:28
That sounds good to me misty get your deposit in for the rr it will be good to compair the cars have you still got the 304 or have you changed it since then?

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:29
hmm which one to go for!! lol, half the reason i got a t5 was so i could go the rica route, and was set on that till i was told about the cheaper hml option, how ever i guess there is no way of gauranteing that its up to the rica standards, im sure its very good but 250ish bhp is only a 10% increase which is a bit weak for remappin a turbo car.

so i guess it comes down to the question is it worth forkin out the extra £200 on peace of mind and a rollin road print out, and im starting to think maybe it is

also it was mentioned that someone had seen a rica'd t5 running dangerously lean but have heard from many other sources that rica is set up slighty rich? maybe an air leak or another such problem formed on this car as i doubt rica would let it go out like that?

any thoughts?

No body is slating the Rica map but more Hamish and his tendency to play around with the Rica map

As for what map to pick.It really is a question on what you are planning to do regarding future mods

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:30
also misty what was you car doing through high boost

volvolised
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:32
so come to the big RR day at powerstation in tewkesbury on the 22nd nov...15 cars all slightly different, the whole idea is to see which mods( pound per BHP) are good/safe for our cars..

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:32
well i was thinking maybe some different injectors (white?? im not to sure) and maybe an electric boost controler, alredy have exhaust, dv etc.i want to get as close to if not over 300hp as i can, which map would suite this better?

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:33
That sounds good to me misty get your deposit in for the rr it will be good to compair the cars have you still got the 304 or have you changed it since then?

Like I said yesterday mate I have no idea what im doing next weeknever mind in 3 months time BUT at pressent I'm well up for going

Yes I'm still running with the 304 but I have made a few adjustments with the help of some very good friends to get it right

I'm planning on a few MOD's for the future and will be getting rid of the 304 for the MTE(que Pangster)but untill I get all the parts I'm sticking with the 304

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:36
hey volvolised i would go but its over 150 miles away from me

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:37
misty what adjustment have you made also what was your car doing under full booost

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:37
also misty what was you car doing through high boost

The ECU kept pulling the timing (A bit like on and off the accelerator)

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:38

Pete I'm going and I live in Lancashire (135miles each way):wtf:

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:38
thats what myne does buy only in high gears what adjustment did you do

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:42
just some info. getting 300bhp out of the 850 is not as easy as some people think.

not sure if i'm there yet or not, i suspect i'm close but will be able to see on the 22nd.

i think dooby put his auto 850R on a rolling road with both a RICA 304 and an MTE and they were within a few bhp of each other. on the same rolling road on the same day.

where the MTE edges forward is that if you're the type to tinker, you can then get the map adjusted to suit your car and it's mods.

where the MTE loses out is you're relying on one person and wether they're in the country or not. it can be done if that person isn't in the country and maybe they'll push this a bit more but you needd to know your AFRs and boost levels for the map to be adjusted.

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:43
pete, has anyone messed about with your actuator? ie. tightened it?

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:43
thats what myne does buy only in high gears what adjustment did you do

This is the part I hate the most

First I fitted an AFR gauge to see what my problem was (running very lean)

So with the help of a friend I replaced my injectors for bigger ones

But there isnt much point in you simply fitting bigger injectors but you need to get on a RR as this will give you a good indication to what YOUR (as they are all different)car is doing

volvolised
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:45

Come on down...it's 180 miles each way to tim's but you always know it's worth it..if you come down i'll slap in the rica 19T ecu and we'll see what figures it hits on the 1.8 /2 bar it went to after the tim mods.

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:48
i will try and get down how much is the rr and the address please plus post code

volvolised
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:51
i will try and get down how much is the rr

the RR is fully booked ..come down and put names to faces...you'll so enjoy the day..personally can't wait.. tis at least 100 from us.. i'll bring you some bricks and muck to play with lol...

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:52
Hi inf no one has messed with the actuator while ive had the car and ive had it for five years now
why you ask?
cheers pete

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:52
i will try and get down how much is the rr and the address please plus post code

Its fully booked now but you will get a better understanding on what MOD's you might like to try out

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:53
bugger it count me in can i have the post code please and the time to be there

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:54
where you from misty

mitsy
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:54
LOL Irf thats your new pet name from now on inf lol I live it

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:56
Hi inf no one has messed with the actuator while ive had the car and ive had it for five years now
why you ask?
cheers pete

in the higher gears, third, fourth and fifth, do you get a ****load of torque low down but after say, 4500rpm feels relatively lazy to hit the redline?

t5 pete
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:56
sorry a bit drunk if my spellins bad you know why

irf
Friday 24th October 2008, 23:57

lol never noticed that!! still, been called worse!

volvolised
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:00

P.M.S.L ....IF my INFormation is correct the postcode is GL20 8JH

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:01
lol never noticed that!! still, been called worse!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk228/bryanstrt/ABRQ7H7CAW51JWFCA090Q59CAVUG8H7CAUR.jpg

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:03
Ive tried that post code but google has brought a load of different places up what the place called please

irf
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:03
pmsl i wanna put my anteater picture up but it'll get deleted:parhmph:

info on the rolling road being organised can be found by reading here (http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4422&hl=)

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:04
Its here http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4422

You have a PM

irf
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:05
wayyy too slow old man

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:05
pmsl i wanna put my anteater picture up but it'll get deleted:parhmph:

info on the rolling road being organised can be found by reading here (http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4422&hl=)

It's MY Anteater picture and you stole it

irf
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:06
It's MY Anteater picture and you stole it

see anteater pic for my reply:blahblah:

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:06
wayyy too slow old man

dddaaammm you inf i cant use the anteater picture

volvolised
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:11
Stop it you two i need to wind down before my bed time......pmsl

irf
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:16
hmm this shouldn't get deleted.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/irf200/anteater-1.jpg

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:17
What does pmsl mean i might have had a bit to drink but im still unsure also volvolised do you want me to get the 19t setup off you wen we go to the rr

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:18
have my messange been put on

Tomcat
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:18
Hello ladies...

Nice to see you here, Irf, thanks for self editing the Ardvark pic, saves me having to delete it.

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:19
yes it has

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:19
P**s My Sides Laughing

Tomcat
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:20
You had much to drink tonight Pete?,lol.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:21
Hello ladies...

Nice to see you here, Irf, thanks for self editing the Ardvark pic, saves me having to delete it.

Isnt Ardvark spelt with a bouble A?Aardvark?????

Tomcat
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:23
Picky.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:24
Picky.

Me picky?You know me better than that craig

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:26
im pi$$ed if im allowed to say that

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:42
I'm planning on a few MOD's for the future and will be getting rid of the 304 for the MTE(que Pangster)but untill I get all the parts I'm sticking with the 304

??? what's that all about Tony? - don't see why you're referencing me in this thread???

I think I've remained pretty dignified by not responding to some of the crap posted on T5D5 and haven't chased other user posts around the forums yet you and your chums seem hell bent on bringing me into topics/threads?? and trying to apportion blame/comments on me? what's that all about?

And like I told the person who PM'd me to enlighten me about the thread on T5D5 and about the comments on James May's column in the Telegraph - If I was bothered or could be arsed then I would respond.. but I'm not and I can't! :) and FWIW I had absolutely nothing to do with anything written in that column (albeit I found it very amusing) despite yours and others accusations - and FWIW If I did have anything to say on the subject then I would say it under my recognised 'username' and not under another anonymous one (like what seems to be common practice with certain T5D5 members and admin on here) - I didn't hide behind any other 'usernames' on T5D5 so why would I now??

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:49
??? what's that all about Tony? - don't see why you're referencing me in this thread???

I think I've remained pretty dignified by not responding to some of the crap posted on T5D5 and haven't chased other user posts around the forums yet you and your chums seem hell bent on bringing me into topics/threads?? and trying to apportion blame/comments on me? what's that all about?

And like I told the person who PM'd me to enlighten me about the thread on T5D5 and about the comments on James May's column in the Telegraph - If I was bothered or could be arsed then I would respond.. but I'm not and I can't! :) and FWIW I had absolutely nothing to do with anything written in that column (albeit I found it very amusing) despite yours and others accusations - and FWIW If I did have anything to say on the subject then I would say it under my recognised 'username' and not under another anonymous one (like what seems to be common practice with certain T5D5 members and admin on here) - I didn't hide behind any other 'usernames' on T5D5 so why would I now??

Pangster please do keep to the subject

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 00:59
Pangster please do keep to the subject

what's wrong Tony? - are you bored of reading Ben (Lord B/cookie) and Ella's (Mrs Goggins) arguments over who is going to make the coffee?

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=4700

- that seems to be the only decent thread on T5D5 these days Tony?.. :)

And how disfunctional do you need to be to carry out a conversation online with your other half when they are sat a few feet away from you? (*requires no response as the answers obvious)

As far as keeping this thread on topic goes.. from what I can gather the maps that HLM offer are RICA maps (excess stock or whatever) despite the unfounded accusations from other parties. These maps are widely accepted as good maps.. as are any off the shelf remaps (MTE, SAM, BSR, etc) so can't really see what the issue is.

FWIW NO-ONE who has had one of these maps installed has complained about them.. unless you know differently?? all seem to have been happy with the results..

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 01:09
Is this really about me OR have you got a chip on your shoulder about something?

No wait maybe you really are as sad as you sound

irf
Saturday 25th October 2008, 01:12
really can't be arsed with this ****e.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 01:14

Nore me mate

I'm just popping out to make a film about my exhaust so I might be some time

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 01:15
Good nite Inf

Nite Pangster

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 01:16

Me neither!!! (and I think I speak for the general populace when I say that).. I was hoping it was confined to T5D5.. sadly this appears not to be the case.. :slap:

http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/please-do-not-feed-the-hoboken-trolls.jpg

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 05:05
pete, what fuel are you running?

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 11:09
I love these threads, after the first 5 or 6 posts they always turn into a mud slinging contest between the same few people.... do none of you have a life at all?

It is discussions like this which put me off having a remap on my previous 850 T5's, so I fitted an MBC instead which is potentially very dangerous to your engine life when fitted by a novice!

It gets very tedious for us newer members to have to read this grade A crap on practically every topic which comes up about tuning and remapping the older cars.

To answer the OP, the RICA maps are still around and do the job just fine. I think the autoboxes on these cars are a bit meh.... not terrible but they are OK, I think the widely accepted max is 300bhp, but you will never get that from a remap alone anyway.

I had mine done at Hlm, I am very happy and the car is transformed. I have never driven a MTE/BSR/SuperChips map so I cant compare, but I do imagine the end results are all very similar.

Once you have a remap I doubt you will want to go much further really, exhaust and air filter maybe...... The standard setup is very lazy (IMO) and the ECU upgrade certainly makes a huge difference.

I think after that you are looking at brakes, strut braces, suspension etc..... no good being able to go fast in a straight line if you have to crawl around the corners is there?

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 11:33
hi pnut i run the tesco super unleaded with is 99 octane other than that i use optimax or now called v-power by shell

tigran
Saturday 25th October 2008, 11:52
Didn't mean to step on that forum minefield.

Anyhoo conclusion is get hamish' map then take the car down to a rolling road to see what it's doing. Handy my friend owns a dyno dynamics set up. Shall be going the hamish route methinks. On another note - the 304 bit in the title, what does that stand for/mean?

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 12:02
Didn't mean to step on that forum minefield.

Anyhoo conclusion is get hamish' map then take the car down to a rolling road to see what it's doing. Handy my friend owns a dyno dynamics set up. Shall be going the hamish route methinks. On another note - the 304 bit in the title, what does that stand for/mean?

280 & 304 are the names of the remaps........ that is supposed to represent the claimed power figures 280bhp or 304bhp............... However it is well known that these maps produce closer to the 250bhp area on a healthy car.

Main difference is the 304 requires higher grade fuel, like optimax or whatever to get the full power gains out of the map.

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 12:10
280 & 304 are the names of the remaps........ that is supposed to represent the claimed power figures 280bhp or 304bhp............... However it is well known that these maps produce closer to the 250bhp area on a healthy car.

Main difference is the 304 requires higher grade fuel, like optimax or whatever to get the full power gains out of the map.

250 seems a little low - from the plots I've seen I'd say 270-280 is a more realistic figure for the 304 remap..

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 12:15
Hi pangster im taking my car on the rr in jan i will let you know whats its running myne has the 304 ,since i had it done the car flys it must be pushing some thing good out but until i get the rr done in dont know what there was a bloke on here with a 850 t5 who had the 304 done by hamish and had his on the rr and before the car was running around 180bhp cant remember the tourque and after it was running £248bhp and some where around 400+ tourque

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 12:22
Hi pangster im taking my car on the rr in jan i will let you know whats its running myne has the 304 ,since i had it done the car flys it must be pushing some thing good out but until i get the rr done in dont know what there was a bloke on here with a 850 t5 who had the 304 done by hamish and had his on the rr and before the car was running around 180bhp cant remember the tourque and after it was running £248bhp and some where around 400+ tourque

Hi Pete - Yossers figures (which I think are the ones you are referring to) are based on an auto and are at the wheels figures (which probably equate to around the 270/280 bhp mark at the flywheel)

It'd be good to see your plots too and some of the plots from the other cars! :)

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 12:28
thats no prob as soon as i get back i will put the pics n figures on ere

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 12:39
250 seems a little low - from the plots I've seen I'd say 270-280 is a more realistic figure for the 304 remap..

As ok....... just as long as people don't expect 300bhp, because it ain't going to happen with just a remap on these cars.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 12:51
Same old ££££e on here

People try to give good honest advice but there is always the dedicated Hamish sheep followers

Well I and acouple have tryed to help but from now on your on your own

PS good luck

850twr
Saturday 25th October 2008, 14:07
well my next mod is going to be a remap and i was hoping this thread would lead to somewhat of a allround healthy conclusion, but theres so many opposite opinions so im none the wiser, maybe people that are against the the hamish option are biast as they've already forked out £352 on a main rica agent, just a thought.

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 14:20
Same old ££££e on here

People try to give good honest advice but there is always the dedicated Hamish sheep followers

PS good luck
[I agree with you Miltsy} This is a very subjective thing. if you can substantiate results of a tune,please post the results.Some in the usa reckon you can do lots of upgrades to the motor without touching the ecu, i think because it [bosch 4.4]is so slow its not worth flashing.so go with bigger injectors , turbo etc and let the ecu deal with it....If you want to look it up on VS forums as it will save a lotof $$$$$ Cheers !

tigran
Saturday 25th October 2008, 14:55
Well, booked in for saturday morning, got a RR session booked there as well so we'll see how it goes. Taking into account my slightly iffy turbo seal i'm not expecting much. I'll let the 'bum RR' decide. Hoping to get some other little bits n pieces on before hand.

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 15:02
[I agree with you Miltsy} This is a very subjective thing. if you can substantiate results of a tune,please post the results.Some in the usa reckon you can do lots of upgrades to the motor without touching the ecu, i think because it [bosch 4.4]is so slow its not worth flashing.so go with bigger injectors , turbo etc and let the ecu deal with it....If you want to look it up on VS forums as it will save a lotof $$$$$ Cheers !

were is crispy when you need him!

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 15:05
Ure terrible Muriel..... PS wanna buy a 19t ?

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 15:48
Same old ££££e on here

PS good luck

Oh right, so anyone that is happy with any product or service from hlm is a sheep? Guess we could say the same about most of the MTE Don lovers as well.....

I would rather be on my own than be on the receiving end the kind of bile some people seem to have to offer.

We are all adults here and we can all make our own informed choices and the only people stopping that from happening are those who insist on shouting down all discussion with this nonsense........... one word/opinion/ against another and it benefits no one IMHO.

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:08
Oh right, so anyone that is happy with any product or service from hlm is a sheep? Guess we could say the same about most of the MTE Don lovers as well.....

I would rather be on my own than be on the receiving end the kind of bile some people seem to have to offer.

We are all adults here and we can all make our own informed choices and the only people stopping that from happening are those who insist on shouting down all discussion with this nonsense........... one word/opinion/ against another and it benefits no one IMHO.
Getting a bit serious for any new Volvo person who happens to be looking in . And i have no idea what imho means , can we not spell or what?

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:15
Getting a bit serious for any new Volvo person who happens to be looking in . And i have no idea what imho means , can we not spell or what?

in my honest/humble opinion

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:20
hi pnut why did you ask what fuel i was using
cheers pete

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:24
well my next mod is going to be a remap and i was hoping this thread would lead to somewhat of a allround healthy conclusion, but theres so many opposite opinions so im none the wiser, maybe people that are against the the hamish option are biast as they've already forked out £352 on a main rica agent, just a thought.

Like most people I was a Total HLM/Hamish fan until I read about his dishonest approach to wards people when something goes wrong.

This has nothing to do with paying £352 for a genuine Rica as I would with out a doubt pay that much again as long as I am sure I am getting a genuine product and safe in the knowledge that if anything went wrong then Rica will try the best to sort the problem out

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:27

Regarding to finding about VS yes this is very true as Im running the Rica304 and by its self is is quite a good map but by changing engine parts then to can make it even better but it still has its limits

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:28
hi pnut why did you ask what fuel i was using
cheers pete

because you mentioned your car was pinking & pulling boost....

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:28

They Banned crispy

tigran
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:29
To be honest with any of the tuning places i use and have used before they clearly state that if your engine goes ping due to something they have been asked to do/install they cannot accept any liability. I can uderstand if you're spending 6k on a built to order engine but on a remap you cannot expect any kind of guarantee on what effect that might have on your engine/drivetrain. I wouldn't expect a guarantee either, that'd be ludicrous.

Like the waiver you sign at an RR run - if your car goes pop on the rollers you can't really blame the guys doing the run.

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:29
They Banned crispy

lets hope tony will be back soon!

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:32

So BigV what do you actually know about Hamish/HLM? What are your finding regarding MTE/Don? In fact what MODS's have you actually carried out on your C70?

You seem to be very quick to deffend Hamish/HLM whay is that?what work has Hamish/HLM carried out on your C70

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:33
lets hope tony will be back soon!

They banned that user name aswell PNut

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:42
To be honest with any of the tuning places i use and have used before they clearly state that if your engine goes ping due to something they have been asked to do/install they cannot accept any liability. I can uderstand if you're spending 6k on a built to order engine but on a remap you cannot expect any kind of guarantee on what effect that might have on your engine/drivetrain. I wouldn't expect a guarantee either, that'd be ludicrous.

Like the waiver you sign at an RR run - if your car goes pop on the rollers you can't really blame the guys doing the run.

There we go someone who has absolute no idea to what they are talking about

The whole purpose of a REMAP is to complement the MOD's that has been carried out on the car

The REMAP has got everything to do with the tuner IE if you was to bolt on a great big turbo then the ECU needs to be reprogrammed.There for if this isn't carried out correctly the the engine will go BANG

There for it has everything to do with the tuner and if any tuner was to try and make me sign a disclaimer then I would walk away

A bit like Hamish was payed well over £5000 to build an engine but his lack of knowledge meant that engine melted less then 24hours latter due to him not knowing his ass from his elbow

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:42
pnut would that be happenin if i was using 95octane the car has never been run on that i think it must have something to do with the map i got from hml i am buying a rica ecu set up for a 19t as well as white injectiors and down pipe when i get it all fitted i will have the chance to see what rica is like the bloke im buying it off is warren and said it was a very good setup

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:47
pnut would that be happenin if i was using 95octane the car has never been run on that i think it must have something to do with the map i got from hml i am buying a rica ecu set up for a 19t as well as white injectiors and down pipe when i get it all fitted i will have the chance to see what rica is like the bloke im buying it off is warren and said it was a very good setup

Pete the 304 was written to run on high octane 97ron or above this is due to lower octane fuel detonating before it should which will cause engine damage

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:55
Same old ££££e on here

PS good luck

You don't have to keep coming back you know - no one forces you? That goes for anyone who doesn't like it here - you don't actually have to log in!

Les can we refrain from being quite so personal, you're all meant to be adults and (although its hard to tell sometimes) you should be able to have a discusion without resorting to being catty!

BigV has a valid point people are welcome to make their own choices without being told they are wrong if they chose something that others aren't fond of (for whatever reason).

I am sick to death of the minority desperately trying to spoil things for the majority - quite simply its all becoming very tiresome and its the same people going over the same old over and over again. Some people seem to delight in the sound of their own voices which speaks volumes about them as people!

It's time to give it a rest, I have absolutely no issues with simply deleting accounts who persistantly break the rules or are deemed as deliberately stirring. Your welcome to take offence to this and if you do then I suggest you log out.

x

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 16:59
hi misty i always run my car on the higher octain, i just think (i might be wrong) its due to the 304 upgrade i had done that is causing the engine to ping/miss in high gears most likley with timing which i think you said that it could be.
Also i was a big fan of hml until i read this thread i have found it quite helpfull the advise i would give to people is be open minded it always pays to get as much info you can

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:03

it could be alot of things... have you had the fuel pressure checked under boost & had the injectors cleaned?

is it a standard rica304?

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:06
i have the 304 that hamish does i have never had the fuel perssure cheacked under boost wouldnt know how also my injectors havent been cleaned since i have had the car

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:09
hi misty i always run my car on the higher octain, i just think (i might be wrong) its due to the 304 upgrade i had done that is causing the engine to ping/miss in high gears most likley with timing which i think you said that it could be.
Also i was a big fan of hml until i read this thread i have found it quite helpfull the advise i would give to people is be open minded it always pays to get as much info you can

i would be suprised if the timing is the issue!

my car does it once in a bloo moon! after it backs off its fine! if its doing it continuously you have got a problem somewere

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:12
I would say it does it most times and very rare in 3rd or 4th its mainly in 5th i wounderded if it was trying to hit fuel cut of something like that and woundered if it was due to the higher boost level in 5th

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:14
i have the 304 that hamish does i have never had the fuel perssure cheacked under boost wouldnt know how also my injectors havent been cleaned since i have had the car

fuel pressure need to be around 3 bar above manifold pressure, so at -1bar it needs to be on 2 bar & under full boost it will need to be around 4.2-4.4 bar (or thats my understanding of it)

if you havent got enough pressure at full boost the injectors may not deliver enough fuel! not enough fuel will result in pinking & pulling the timing......

you may have one injector that isnt injecting properly! have a look for jim lathems posts about injector cleaning :D

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:15
I would say it does it most times and very rare in 3rd or 4th its mainly in 5th i wounderded if it was trying to hit fuel cut of something like that and woundered if it was due to the higher boost level in 5th

you wont get fuel cut with a remap.... well not untill its too late!

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:17
cheers pal i will get the injectors done

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:19
fuel pressure need to be around 3 bar above manifold pressure, so at -1bar it needs to be on 2 bar & under full boost it will need to be around 4.2-4.4 bar (or thats my understanding of it)

if you havent got enough pressure at full boost the injectors may not deliver enough fuel! not enough fuel will result in pinking & pulling the timing......

you may have one injector that isnt injecting properly! have a look for jim lathems posts about injector cleaning :D

+1 to what PNuT said! lol! :) I would also check over all the other parts that are prone to wear (i.e. everything covered in a Stage 0) as to get the best from any remap then your car will need to be running spot on..

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:25
You don't have to keep coming back you know - no one forces you? That goes for anyone who doesn't like it here - you don't actually have to log in!

Les can we refrain from being quite so personal, you're all meant to be adults and (although its hard to tell sometimes) you should be able to have a discusion without resorting to being catty!

BigV has a valid point people are welcome to make their own choices without being told they are wrong if they chose something that others aren't fond of (for whatever reason).

I am sick to death of the minority desperately trying to spoil things for the majority - quite simply its all becoming very tiresome and its the same people going over the same old over and over again. Some people seem to delight in the sound of their own voices which speaks volumes about them as people!

It's time to give it a rest, I have absolutely no issues with simply deleting accounts who persistantly break the rules or are deemed as deliberately stirring. Your welcome to take offence to this and if you do then I suggest you log out.

x

Yes Moppy you are quite right in saying people have a choice to make there own decision

But when people like yourself and others try to hide the facts then how is that a decision for people to make when they dont know the facts?

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:26
hi pangster i think i have covered every thing for a stage 0 every pipe has been changed new plugs/filter/oil is there anything i have missed out

Alan M
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:28
you wont get fuel cut with a remap.... well not untill its too late!

:hbomb::hbomb:

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:31
Yes Moppy you are quite right in saying people have a choice to make there own decision

But when people like yourself and others try to hide the facts ?

LOL now your just talking twaddle and making yourself look foolish in the process? I don't even have an opinion on remapping anymore so why would I "hide" facts?!! lol

As I said your more than welcome to press the red X in the top corner if you dislike the forum as much as you claim you do :wavey:

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:31
hi pangster i think i have covered every thing for a stage 0 every pipe has been changed new plugs/filter/oil is there anything i have missed out

injectors (as already mentioned) and fuel filter? - here's a link to the How 2:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217

HTH

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:42
LOL now your just talking twaddle and making yourself look foolish in the process? I don't even have an opinion on remapping anymore so why would I "hide" facts?!! lol

As I said your more than welcome to press the red X in the top corner if you dislike the forum as much as you claim you do :wavey:

Lets talk about hiding things then shell we

What happened to the Chris's post about his car going bang??

O yes it so happened to disappeared with the big VPC crash or was it sabotage?

Please do explain how im making myself look foolish

And like I have said before its not the forum I dislike its the Dictators that run the forum

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:43
hi pangster eveything has been done on that list the distributer + rotor was done about 3000miles ago i have used rex ex fuel treatment witch its say to do so in that list the g-box fluid has been replaced my mate cossie does the same it was worse before he took in to greham goode (think thats his name) and after it still does it just not as bad he seems to think its a problem with his boost being unstable in high gears

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:45
QUOTE :Mrs MOPP <Les can we refrain from being quite so personal, you're all meant to be adults and (although its hard to tell sometimes) you should be able to have a discusion without resorting to being catty! .................................................. ...Well i dont know where the catty was considering everyone was "avin a go at me" . Can the moderators address the posts i put up that should be PINNED. Things that help the peeps ..Maybe i should change my avatar and make it read "somewhere in the uk " then i wont get flack for living in a better /sunny place HEY ?

PNuT
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:47

And like I have said before its not the forum I dislike its the Dictators that run the forum

in fairness i dont think justin would have chosen too loose all that information just to hide what happened to chris's engine

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:47
hi pangster eveything has been done on that list the distributer + rotor was done about 3000miles ago i have used rex ex fuel treatment witch its say to do so in that list the g-box fluid has been replaced my mate cossie does the same it was worse before he took in to greham goode (think thats his name) and after it still does it just not as bad he seems to think its a problem with his boost being unstable in high gears

ahh ok.. sounds like you've done most things then! :0 - I'm going through doing mine at the minute.. another thing that can go wrong is the BCS (boost control solenoid) there seems to be quite a few threads relating to this on VS and this could cause unstable boost from what I've read. It might be worth checking a known good one against the one in your car and see if this makes a difference. If it does then iPD make an uprated item or Rufe could arrange an OEM one for you.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:48

Question 1: No idea - did it not get lost at the same time we lost 2 years worth of posts on the forum?

Question 2: I'm not sure what conspiracy theory your running with but the full and factual reason why the forum went down is explained on the front page.

Unfortunately those "dictators" have been here since day one and will be here until the end - you have other outlets that aren't run by dictators so you can play there with all the freedom in the world.

If you reply further off the original topic of this thread then I shall delete the posts as its way off topic :) And because I am a dictator LMSO!

x

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:52
Question 1: No idea - did it not get lost at the same time we lost 2 years worth of posts on the forum?

Question 2: I'm not sure what conspiracy theory your running with but the full and factual reason why the forum went down is explained on the front page.

Unfortunately those "dictators" have been here since day one and will be here until the end - you have other outlets that aren't run by dictators so you can play there with all the freedom in the world.

If you reply further off the original topic of this thread then I shall delete the posts as its way off topic :) And because I am a dictator LMSO!

x

Well delete away moppy as you dont normally ask before doing so

Yosser
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:52
I'll second whoever said getting injectors cleaned.

I had mine done by jimathan, he does an excellent service.

Mine were in extremely poor shape, but this was only shown up by flow testing on the bench as the car *seemed* to run ok.

I changed the fuel filter on jim's advice, and I don't think it had ever been done (judging by the look of it). That was quite a simple job.

t5 pete
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:54
hi pangster i have 2 t5 engines with bcs on them i will try one of them also what would the boost be like if this went down my boost seems to be fine also is the ipd bcs for the 850's or just the later versions?
cheers pete

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 17:55

x
The mods duties could be given to a few more and then early intervention could happen.

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:01
Any Mods ???

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:02
See what i mean! And i am NOT being CATTY . Whatever that means....

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:04
hi pangster i have 2 t5 engines with bcs on them i will try one of them also what would the boost be like if this went down my boost seems to be fine also is the ipd bcs for the 850's or just the later versions?
cheers pete

I *think* they are suitable for all - but you could drop Ron@IPD on here a PM and he'll confirm.. :)

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:04
Hey , its 4am and 18 degrees C and its not even summer.....the beach is 2 blocks away....YAY!

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:05
See what i mean! And i am NOT being CATTY . Whatever that means....

CATTY=2 girls fighting

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:07
I *think* they are suitable for all - but you could drop Ron@IPD on here a PM and he'll confirm.. :)
Email them direct and ask for Ken Pruett or Lucky Arnold.ken@ipdusa.com (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/ken@ipdusa.com)

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:21
So BigV what do you actually know about Hamish/HLM? What are your finding regarding MTE/Don? In fact what MODS's have you actually carried out on your C70?

You seem to be very quick to deffend Hamish/HLM whay is that?what work has Hamish/HLM carried out on your C70

Why is is important what mods I have carried out on my car (none fyi), this discussion was supposed to be about a new member who was asking advice about remaps and the safety of them especially with the auto box.

I'm not getting involved in the past or other peoples issues here at all... well I suppose I am but I didn't really want to! I am not talking about or 'defending' (defending what btw?) anything apart from the good service I received. I'm simply not allowing you and few other members to make so much noise that no other positive opinions or experiences can be heard.......

I had an ECU upgrade for the £150 and they did my cambelt and a couple of other bits which I can't remember now....... so you can see I'm not exactly a major shareholder or customer of the year or anything. I was just very happy with the work I had done and I would recommend the remap to anyone who asked (and the OP was asking right?).

Like most people I was a Total HLM/Hamish fan until I read about his dishonest approach to wards people when something goes wrong.

This has nothing to do with paying £352 for a genuine Rica as I would with out a doubt pay that much again as long as I am sure I am getting a genuine product and safe in the knowledge that if anything went wrong then Rica will try the best to sort the problem out

So if I am reading this correctly, what you are saying you had a RICA tune from HLM which you are happy with, but now because of what other people say RE: customer service follow up, you would not use them again? - Strong independent thought going on there

As for the 'if anything went wrong, rica will help'....... yeah ok, so if you slap a remap on a 10... 13 year old car with 90k+ miles and the engine lets go or something else happens do you honestly & seriously believe that RICA, responsible for supplying a £300 piece of software is going to pick up the tab for a repair bill potentially running into thousands????? I think that is a bit naive to be honest mate.

These things void manufacturer warranties for a reason, once the car is tuned it is up to the customer to make sure it is serviced more regularly and well looked after etc. 99% of tuning places, rolling roads etc make you sign a waiver saying as long as the work is carried out to an acceptable and proper standard they can accept no responsibility for an damage caused. Heck, if you took your car for an MOT and the garage managed to blow it up doing the emissions check you would have probably get told to bugger off; it does happen!

edit: oh, and as for the don/mte thing, I have no problem with him or the product at all, many people are extremely happy with it and I am pleased for them...... the problem is some of those people wont allow other people to be happy with the hlm/bsr/superchips product they choose to buy instead.

One further thing I would say is, I was going to have my previous 850 MTE'd a year or more back but I couldn't travel that far, luckily for me he said he would be in my area and would be able to fit it as it was only a 10min job.......He never showed up on the day and when I decided I would travel down there and get it done I sent an email and a couple of phone calls but I could never get through..... Didn't seem very professional? Although I add I have no problem or axe to grind, I was just slightly disappointed.

So skipping forward to the present day when with my new c70, I weighed up the options and made a phone call to hlm (and they rang me back as promised) and decided I would rather travel 30miles down the road and get it done somewhere that could be bothered to reply to my queries...... with the added bonus that it was half price and if i was happy I could get mechanical work done there in the future too.

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:29
CATTY=2 girls fightingMmmmm , are you thinking what i am thinkink...

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:39
Mmmmm , are you thinking what i am thinkink...

I hope so

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 18:44
My point exactly Pete

Like irf mentioned before about someone running very lean (high 16 AFR)on full boost.Well that person was me and Hamish even convinced me that my car was running perfectly although the boost was very erratic

I was persuaded to fit an Innovate gauge to find what my AFR's was reading.Only to find my fuelling couldn't cope and my ECU was pulling the timing to protect my engine from melting due to lack of fuel

Why is is important what mods I have carried out on my car (none fyi), this discussion was supposed to be about a new member who was asking advice about remaps and the safety of them especially with the auto box.

I'm not getting involved in the past or other peoples issues here at all... well I suppose I am but I didn't really want to! I am not talking about or 'defending' (defending what btw?) anything apart from the good service I received. I'm simply not allowing you and few other members to make so much noise that no other positive opinions or experiences can be heard.......

I had an ECU upgrade for the £150 and they did my cambelt and a couple of other bits which I can't remember now....... so you can see I'm not exactly a major shareholder or customer of the year or anything. I was just very happy with the work I had done and I would recommend the remap to anyone who asked (and the OP was asking right?).

So if I am reading this correctly, what you are saying you had a RICA tune from HLM which you are happy with, but now because of what other people say RE: customer service follow up, you would not use them again? - Strong independent thought going on there

As for the 'if anything went wrong, rica will help'....... yeah ok, so if you slap a remap on a 10... 13 year old car with 90k+ miles and the engine lets go or something else happens do you honestly & seriously believe that RICA, responsible for supplying a £300 piece of software is going to pick up the tab for a repair bill potentially running into thousands????? I think that is a bit naive to be honest mate.

These things void manufacturer warranties for a reason, once the car is tuned it is up to the customer to make sure it is serviced more regularly and well looked after etc. 99% of tuning places, rolling roads etc make you sign a waiver saying as long as the work is carried out to an acceptable and proper standard they can accept no responsibility for an damage caused. Heck, if you took your car for an MOT and the garage managed to blow it up doing the emissions check you would have probably get told to bugger off; it does happen!

edit: oh, and as for the don/mte thing, I have no problem with him or the product at all, many people are extremely happy with it and I am pleased for them...... the problem is some of those people wont allow other people to be happy with the hlm/bsr/superchips product they choose to buy instead.

One further thing I would say is, I was going to have my previous 850 MTE'd a year or more back but I couldn't travel that far, luckily for me he said he would be in my area and would be able to fit it as it was only a 10min job.......He never showed up on the day and when I decided I would travel down there and get it done I sent an email and a couple of phone calls but I could never get through..... Didn't seem very professional? Although I add I have no problem or axe to grind, I was just slightly disappointed.

So skipping forward to the present day when with my new c70, I weighed up the options and made a phone call to hlm (and they rang me back as promised) and decided I would rather travel 30miles down the road and get it done somewhere that could be bothered to reply to my queries...... with the added bonus that it was half price and if i was happy I could get mechanical work done there in the future too.

Where did i say I was happy with the Hamish treatment untill I spoke to other people?

You will also find I stated that if the Map is found to be at fault then yes Rica will try there best to help

Even missD had a gripper diff fitted which distroyed her gearbox O and what a suprice Gripper fixed her Gearbox and all the damage it caused FREE OF CHARGE

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 19:01
Where did i say I was happy with the Hamish treatment untill I spoke to other people?

You will also find I stated that is the Map is found to be at fault then yes Rica will try there best to help

Even missD had a gripper diff fitted which distroyed her gearbox O and what a suprice Gripper fixed her Gearbox and all the damage it caused FREE OF CHARGE

I quoted you directly from page 6 of this topic;
Like most people I was a Total HLM/Hamish fan until I read about his dishonest approach to wards people when something goes wrong

That speaks for itself....... you were happy until other people told you not to be happy basically?

As for the rica will help business...... I think you are crazy here I really do. How exactly are you going to prove that a dodgy RICA product caused your engine to fail, and that this failure wasn't down to some other possibility (of which there are probably hundreds), and how exactly do you think RICA are going to help?

The rica website FAQs basically say this:
If the engine starts running poorly after a certain amount of time, then it cannot be the result of a software fault, but will in fact be the result of a component defect. Any such problems must be diagnosed and resolved by the your local garage as soon as possible. Sometimes chiptuning will not yield the expected increases in power and torque. This is normally the result of either component wear and tear or bad maintenance leading to components that cannot perform to the levels required for optimum performance.

That is just on the website, no doubt the small print on anything you buy goes even further to remove any chance of them getting sued.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 19:14
I quoted you directly from page 6 of this topic;

That speaks for itself....... you were happy until other people told you not to be happy basically?

As for the rica will help business...... I think you are crazy here I really do. How exactly are you going to prove that a dodgy RICA product caused your engine to fail, and that this failure wasn't down to some other possibility (of which there are probably hundreds), and how exactly do you think RICA are going to help?

The rica website FAQs basically say this:

That is just on the website, no doubt the small print on anything you buy goes even further to remove any chance of them getting sued.

Let me try to explain in a simpler manner

Yes I was happy with Hamish and was tacken in by his words of reasurance(you following so far?)untill a good friend of mine who knows a few things about volvo's that due to the poor setup my car was running very lean(you still following?)but yet Hamish was still trying to reasure me that my car was running great(have I made it simple enough for you?)

If you also read the content of Rica's (chiptuning)disclamer it states that after a certain timethey will accept no responsability IE if the car starts to run like a bag of nails as soon as the map is fitted then it will probibly be down to the map.However if it starts to play up at a certain time after the map is fitted then it will be down to engine failer

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 19:35
A bit like Hamish was payed well over £5000 to build an engine but his lack of knowledge meant that engine melted less then 24hours latter due to him not knowing his ass from his elbow

Mitsy,

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story....this paragraph is a complete fabrication of your very vivid imagination....please at least be truthfull if you are going to 'slag someone off' otherwise it is considered slander.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 19:43

Yes I was happy with Hamish and was tacken in by his words of reasurance(you following so far?)untill a good friend of mine who knows a few things about volvo's that due to the poor setup my car was running very lean(you still following?)but yet Hamish was still trying to reasure me that my car was running great(have I made it simple enough for you?)

If you also read the content of Rica's (chiptuning)disclamer it states that after a certain timethey will accept no responsability IE if the car starts to run like a bag of nails as soon as the map is fitted then it will probibly be down to the map.However if it starts to play up at a certain time after the map is fitted then it will be down to engine failer

Well now you have altered your story, at first you were happy until you read about something, now you are saying you had your car inspected by someone else (your mate dazza from backstreet autos who once fitted twin turbos to his Lada Riva in a weekend, producing 84bhp?)

Yes that sounds very simple but you need to make your mind up mate....... apart from anything else it is clear to everyone that you are not capable of holding two conflicting thoughts in your mind at the same time................. so go away, have a think about it and then decide which story you want to stick with.

Secondly, if you read (http://www.rica.nl/faq/) the content of the RICA website it says pretty much the same as the disclaimer you are talking about....... so I am assuming that is a RICA disclaimer not just a hlm thing.

FYI I wasn't asked to sign any disclaimer either......... not that I give a monkeys anyway, I mean just what do people expect out of these cars that are 10+ years old?

Even most the warranties you get with used car sales aren't worth the paper they are written on.

EDIT:

I'm just asking people to use some common sense here... is that so difficult?

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 19:48
Yes I was happy with Hamish and was tacken in by his words of reasurance(you following so far?)untill a good friend of mine who knows a few things about volvo's that due to the poor setup my car was running very lean(you still following?)but yet Hamish was still trying to reasure me that my car was running great(have I made it simple enough for y

Mitsy,

Lets get some factual information here.
Please can you tell all who your knowledgable friend is and what his definition of lean at WOT and 5000RPM is.
We can then all check out his credetials and his opinions on the correct AFR to run on a mildly tuned T5.
It is so easy to hide behind a user name and make things up to suit your arguement.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 19:48
EDIT:

Apparently so hey! Common sense and Volvo forums? Nah never going to happen lol! Thank you for trying though :)

x

volvokid
Saturday 25th October 2008, 19:55

My dads 850 will judder in 5th gear i guess its all the torque and boost, i know my mates standard evo fq320 does it also

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:13

BOBCAT LIVES:slap::hilarious:nutkick::talktohan

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:13
Mitsy,

Lets get some factual information here.
Please can you tell all who your knowledgable friend is and what his definition of lean at WOT and 5000RPM is.
We can then all check out his credetials and his opinions on the correct AFR to run on a mildly tuned T5.
It is so easy to hide behind a user name and make things up to suit your arguement.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

Look up and a little to your left and you should see some large pig shaped objects flying across the night sky right about now...........

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5507/oubsbg0.jpg
picture shamelessly nicked from another website

cameron
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:44
Quote: (your mate dazza from backstreet autos who once fitted twin turbos to his Lada Riva in a weekend, producing 84bhp?)

Oh dear

:rotfl:

volvolised
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:47
Okay here we go, before this thread realy goes tits up.

On the 22nd november there is a RR day at powerstaion in Tewkesbury, this whole event has been set up for the greater good of the volvo modding scene. There are 15 cars going, some rica some mte, an mbc here and there, hybrid turbo, 19t,16t, garretts the whole idea is to get as much info as we can to help the future modding scene ...all the cars will be on the same rr so all readings will have a true comparison (we can get Noris Mcwerter ? to adjudicate, is he still alive)...This comparison is not just about bhp but the safety levels and £ per bhp..ie is it worth spending £2,000 for only 10bhp and a lesser safety margin...oh well thats my tuppence worth..

irf
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:48
i don't have a problem with no-one here, i can honestly say, hand on heart that i am trying to help with the best of my knowledge.

i do try and differentiate when i'm giving an opinion or stating a fact which i think not enough people do.

i personally have no problem with hamish, how could i? i've never dealt with him!

i also(thankfully) don't run either a RICA or MTE map just to be clear and would have no problem going with either. happy, no, VERY happy with what i've got.

to my point.

i'm sure hamish and hlm have treated the majority of their customers very well and obviously those customers will sing their praises. it's natural.

the problem is, if something goes wrong. one example of when things go wrong is shown in the link below. all i would ask is to read it with an open mind.nothing more.

there are other examples but this will do.

as for this forum, i am just not sure, as far as i'm aware i thought i was helping people. to get threads turning bitchy is just a huge turn off for myself and others. the trouble is i feel compelled to help people make considered choices. maybe i'll stay, maybe i won't i dunno.

for all those that would like to know what can happen when things go wrong at hlm, read the link below.

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=961&hl

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:49
enjoy

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:52
Hamish/BigV please do come along to the Tewkesbury RR meet

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 20:55
My point exactly Pete

Well now you have altered your story, at first you were happy until you read about something, now you are saying you had your car inspected by someone else (your mate dazza from backstreet autos who once fitted twin turbos to his Lada Riva in a weekend, producing 84bhp?)

Yes that sounds very simple but you need to make your mind up mate....... apart from anything else it is clear to everyone that you are not capable of holding two conflicting thoughts in your mind at the same time................. so go away, have a think about it and then decide which story you want to stick with.

Secondly, if you read (http://www.rica.nl/faq/) the content of the RICA website it says pretty much the same as the disclaimer you are talking about....... so I am assuming that is a RICA disclaimer not just a hlm thing.

FYI I wasn't asked to sign any disclaimer either......... not that I give a monkeys anyway, I mean just what do people expect out of these cars that are 10+ years old?

Even most the warranties you get with used car sales aren't worth the paper they are written on.

EDIT:

Read the post where am i changing my story?

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:01
Hamish/BigV please do come along to the Tewkesbury RR meet

I have just come out of hospital atm, (hence wasting so much of my time on here....), so if I am fit and driving by then I will do....... if only to talk some sense into you........

Can someone please post the link up again for this meet, its over on the other forum isn't it? But I can't find it right now!

Read the post where am i changing my story?

I can't be arsed right now, everyone else can see it, if you can't that is your problem.

You are nit picking now for no reason because you have lost the argument.

And do you really need to make 3 posts in a row when one would suffice?

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:03
Mitsy,

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story....this paragraph is a complete fabrication of your very vivid imagination....please at least be truthfull if you are going to 'slag someone off' otherwise it is considered slander.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

Aha hello hamish

Talking about fact getting in the way of a good story

Could you clear something up for me

Some years ago your buisness partner sold a HLM tuned Turquoise 850r could you state what level of tuning you carried out on this car before it was sold?

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:05
i don't have a problem with no-one here, i can honestly say, hand on heart that i am trying to help with the best of my knowledge.

i do try and differentiate when i'm giving an opinion or stating a fact which i think not enough people do.

i personally have no problem with hamish, how could i? i've never dealt with him!

i also(thankfully) don't run either a RICA or MTE map just to be clear and would have no problem going with either. happy, no, VERY happy with what i've got.

IRF,

Am I correct in thinking that you have a map on your car that you aquired from Elliot?
I wonder were Elliot's maps came from?

Just a thought.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

y2blade
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:07
it's threads like these that me think i'm better off leaving my car stock (engine wise)

was looking at a Rica/MTE but tbh i realy dont know :confused:

BigV
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:10
it's threads like these that me think i'm better off leaving my car stock (engine wise)

was looking at a Rica/MTE but tbh i realy dont know :confused:

Sorry, I felt exactly the same before I came to the conclusion that really it doesn't matter what other people have or say.......

Pick one at random and slap it on your car, you wont be disappointed because they are all basically the same anyway.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:13
Sorry, I felt exactly the same before I came to the conclusion that really it doesn't matter what other people have or say.......

Pick one at random and slap it on your car, you wont be disappointed because they are all basically the same anyway.

All basically the same?

Where are you getting your infomation from?

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:14
Aha hello hamish

Some years ago your buisness partner sold a HLM tuned Turquoise 850r could you state what level of tuning you carried out on this car before it was sold?

Blimey, not that one again... yawn:finger:
Could make a program for the History Channel.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:16

Sorry I dont recall this been mentioned before

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:17

I think that's been the general consensus for some time regarding the off the shelf remaps - be it MTE/BSR/SAM/RICA/Heico etc.. some people can't seem to help themselves and try and muddy the waters or confuse the situation though.

so to clarify has anyone had any problems with an off the shelf remap???

:D

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:19

PMSL!.. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I love that smilie! :) :finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:20
Sorry I dont recall this been mentioned before

My mistake then. I am so very very sorry.

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:38
Aha hello hamish

Mitsy,

If we are talking about 'HAJ'? The 19T turbo and 4 switchable maps were fitted to that car before I even met Adam by a Dutch Company called Rica. I had to replace many parts on it over the years including replacing the engine twice with second hand units...the first time when Adam ran it low on oil and the second time when Adam played around with the map and it over boosted and bent a rod! We actually ran the car 2 days later at Santa Pod before changing the engine and I recorded a time of 12.99 secs at 98 MPH with a bent rod!!!!! Over the years I also replaced the suspension, brakes, steering rack, engine mount,exhaust etc etc etc.I can't remember exactly what state of tune Adam sold his car as/or with. What I do remember though we were constantly installing different Rica Maps on that car for test purposes and sometimes just for fun!
So the answer to your question is either: Loads or None !!!

I trust this helps.
Now could you tell all who your mate is and what his qualifications are and exactly what AFR he considers as correct at WOT @ 5000rpm on a 4.4 T5.
or if that is too difficult could you please tell me exactly which Rica maps I am supposed to have altered/played around with?

I suspect that you are going to find the second question impossible to answer as I have personaly NEVER altered a Rica map. Before your 'Kangaroo Court' jumps to any more conclusions please get the facts right Tony.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:50
Mitsy,

If we are talking about 'HAJ'? The 19T turbo and 4 switchable maps were fitted to that car before I even met Adam by a Dutch Company called Rica. I had to replace many parts on it over the years including replacing the engine twice with second hand units...the first time when Adam ran it low on oil and the second time when Adam played around with the map and it over boosted and bent a rod! We actually ran the car 2 days later at Santa Pod before changing the engine and I recorded a time of 12.99 secs at 98 MPH with a bent rod!!!!! Over the years I also replaced the suspension, brakes, steering rack, engine mount,exhaust etc etc etc.I can't remember exactly what state of tune Adam sold his car as/or with. What I do remember though we were constantly installing different Rica Maps on that car for test purposes and sometimes just for fun!

I trust this helps.
Now could you tell all who your mate is and what his qualifications are and exactly what AFR he considers as correct at WOT @ 5000rpm on a 4.4 T5.
or if that is too difficult could you please tell me exactly which Rica maps I am supposed to have altered/played around with?

I suspect that you are going to find the second question impossible to answer as I have personaly NEVER altered a Rica map. Before your 'Kangaroo Court' jumps to any more conclusions please get the facts right Tony.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

SEE SEE, I new it was that one:rolleyes2

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:52
Mitsy,

I trust this helps.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

You have never altered a Rica map?????So is that what you told Rica before they pulled the plug on you

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 21:56
You have never altered a Rica map?????So is that what you told Rica before they pulled the plug on you

What on earth has that got to do with the price of Lemons?:confused:

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:00
Well apparently Hamish's RE-MAPS are made of Lemons as to keep his costs down

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:01
Well apparently Hamish's RE-MAPS are made of Lemons as to keep his costs down

Can you prove that?

Also as Hamish has been kind enough to answer your completely off topic questions it would be nice if you offered the same courtesy for the questions asked of you.

x

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:04
Fact is Tony everytime someone on here gives a response that you cant argue with you move the goalposts to suit your agenda, it really doesn't take a scientist to work out where the problems lie here and anyone with any common sense will see right through you.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:06
Offer Hamish some courtesy LOL you having a laugh Would that be the same courtesy Hamish gave Chris?

850twr
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:07
well ive read through all 10 pages of this and i think sum people (no mentioning any names) just have issues, lol! i will be purchasing a 304 fo you hamish in january and i look forward to doing business with you.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:10
Offer Hamish some courtesy LOL you having a laugh Would that be the same courtesy Hamish gave Chris?

Completely irrelevant - your quick to question but cant answer hey!

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:10

Mitsy,

What do you think you are talking about. You are talking complete nonsense as usual. You and all your 'chums' know absoletly ZERO about any agreements, conversations, contracts, finances between myself & Rica and who pulled what from who.

Are you any closer to answering my 2 previous questions?

Best Regards,
Hamish.

irf
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:14
http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=961&hl

someone go ahead and answer the above question. pmsl.

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:15
Moppy my dear sweetheart the reason I asked Hamish about Adams car was to verify what MOD's he had carried out but in around about way he hasn't answered the question

But as usual side swiped the question to Adam

If Hamish would be so kind to state what engine MOD's where carried out on Adam's car as Im very interested to find out due to me buying the very engine and gearbox to which belonged to Adams old car

But Hamish will no doubt deny all knowledge

As for the goalpost my lovely this is how I play my game's

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:16
Completely irrelevant - your quick to question but cant answer hey!

Sorry did you ask me a question?

mitsy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:18
Mitsy,

What do you think you are talking about. You are talking complete nonsense as usual. You and all your 'chums' know absoletly ZERO about any agreements, conversations, contracts, finances between myself & Rica and who pulled what from who.

Are you any closer to answering my 2 previous questions?

Best Regards,
Hamish.

Sorry your 2 question where what again?

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:19
My 304 from VT I had quite a few years ago was good. When I had my 19T, 3 inch downpipe and custom map from them it was even better. That was over two and a half years ago and never missed a beat. bahbah:remybussi
Heres a boring dyno run, not done at HLM.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4750&d=1219261909

Mrsmopp
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:20

x

As per my statement earlier in this thread Tony has been removed for refusing to answer direct questions, for continually de-railing the topic and making stuff up

Anyone who has a problem with this please feel free to PM me I'd be delighted to hear from you lol

x

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:36
Moppy my dear sweetheart the reason I asked Hamish about Adams car was to verify what MOD's he had carried out but in around about way he hasn't answered the question

But as usual side swiped the question to Adam

If Hamish would be so kind to state what engine MOD's where carried out on Adam's car as Im very interested to find out due to me buying the very engine and gearbox to which belonged to Adams old car

But Hamish will no doubt deny all knowledge

As for the goalpost my lovely this is how I play my game's

Tony,

I last saw that car nearly 5 years ago! Yes 5 years. I don't think I am in any position to advise you as to the condition that engine is in today. I can confirm that 5 years ago my former business partner Adam Weber had a standard replacement (second hand) engine in his 850R when he sold it to Murphy's mate. This transaction was nothing to do with myself or any of my companies as it was Adam's private car.

I trust this helps you. Please note Tony that I am answering the question as directly and truefully as is possible.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

Jimmie
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:38
I thought all garages had a disclaimer that you signed before any work was done?.
How many people have had something repaired only for it to break down with another fault and you have to pay again.Answer many.

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:41
As per my statement earlier in this thread Tony has been removed for refusing to answer direct questions, for continually de-railing the topic and making stuff up

Anyone who has a problem with this please feel free to PM me I'd be delighted to hear from you lol

x

Beware a new user going by the name of 'plonker' has just joined the forum.
Using a proxy serving thingy.:comp:

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:47

Oh don't that's made my ribs hurt, and I think I weed as well!!!!:lol:

y2blade
Saturday 25th October 2008, 22:54
Oh don't that's made my ribs hurt, and I think I weed as well!!!!:lol:

:lol: ha ha :)

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:01

x

lol! - I must have ran out of 'thanks' for today or something.. unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before he'll be back.. which is pretty funny when you think about it.. one of the VPC's biggest critics and he's addicted to it! ROFL!!! :)

But to be fair, given the best thread on T5D5 of late is a discussion between Ben (Lord B/cookie) and Ella (Mrs Goggins) over who is going to make the coffee - you can kind of understand why!! lol! :)

pangster
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:02

lol!!... :)

pault5
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:17
lol! - I must have ran out of 'thanks' for today or something.. unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before he'll be back.. which is pretty funny when you think about it.. one of the VPC's biggest critics and he's addicted to it! ROFL!!! :)

But to be fair, given the best thread on T5D5 of late is a discussion between Ben (Lord B/cookie) and Ella (Mrs Goggins) over who is going to make the coffee - you can kind of understand why!! lol! :)

I tend to agree with you.
I find that the same people post, hardly any one different, and if your car is not tuned/worked on by 1 or 2 people that are treated almost godlike, your car is frowned upon.:smileypul
That is just my angle on it.

hamish
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:34
My 304 from VT I had quite a few years ago was good. When I had my 19T, 3 inch downpipe and custom map from them it was even better. That was over two and a half years ago and never missed a beat. bahbah:remybussi
Heres a boring dyno run, not done at HLM.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4750&d=1219261909

Paul,

Thanks for putting that up. Unsuprisingly it shows that the car is running with the correct AFR (12:1) at 5000RPM during WOT it is also recording it's highest boost pressure at this point. That is why the car has produced good power reliably for the last 2.5 years.
FYI Chris' S70 was running an AFR of 12:1 from a lot lower in the rev range. I also have dyno sheets showing this. A T5 running at AFR 12:1 under these conditions is not going to melt pistons, unless of course something else is wrong. So that really puts 1.5 years of speculation and theories in the bin with regards fuelling and poor mapping. Also please be aware that if you run as low as 8:1 the mixture will be so rich that it will be INCOMBUSTABLE. So to the people that think 10:1 is an ideal: your engine is running very inefficiently for no reason.

Regards,
Hamish.

Yosser
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:52
As posted earlier in this thread, the attached plot shows my dyno results following an ecu upgrade from HLM.

Mine all seems to come together at around 4500rpm. Looks (and drives) ok :)

PS you don't have my old (standard) ecu still there do you Hamish ;)

http://vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5253&d=1224884703

volvolised
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:57
I tend to agree with you.
I find that the same people post, hardly any one different, and if your car is not tuned/worked on by 1 or 2 people that are treated almost godlike, your car is frowned upon.:smileypul
That is just my angle on it.

I dont think so paul, you and i have crossed posts many times and our cars in RT's workshop...however good my 19T was running with the custom ?? rica it is now miles better with an...other remap..so hamish has got his foot in the door..good luck it was only a matter of time, you'll need it lol.. i'm not going to say i had any problems with the rica but the 'other map' is better.. so to summarise I HAVE USED RICA AND ANOTHER ECU MAP AND THE OTHER WAS/IS BETTER..the aftermarket service is also much better as your not told to basicaly f**k off when things go wrong, which i hav'nt had the misfortune of suffering from..only having a very good friend phoning me from the roadside with a shagged motor only 2 hrs after having parted with £3.5K ..make of my post what you will but this whole arguement is only realy to save people losing money and being treated badly..in all fairness T5D5 could be called the Hamish refugee site as most have found out first hand how hamish works and aren't happy, also realise all these people are LONG standing members in the volvo community which makes them/us feel the need to help the newbies ...

850twr
Sunday 26th October 2008, 00:03
could you elaberate to me, as a newb as to what the "other map" was, maybe pm me?

pangster
Sunday 26th October 2008, 00:11
in all fairness T5D5 could be called the Hamish refugee site as most have found out first hand how hamish works and aren't happy, also realise all these people are LONG standing members in the volvo community which makes them/us feel the need to help the newbies ...

*yawn* - so did any problems have anything whatsoever to do with off the shelf remaps? which is what is being discussed in this thread???.. I didn't think so..:B_offtopi

y2blade
Sunday 26th October 2008, 00:17
As posted earlier in this thread, the attached plot shows my dyno results following an ecu upgrade from HLM.

Mine all seems to come together at around 4500rpm. Looks (and drives) ok :)

PS you don't have my old (standard) ecu still there do you Hamish ;)

http://vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5253&d=1224884703

was that a 285 or 305?

any other mods prior to the upgrade?

thanks in advance

Yosser
Sunday 26th October 2008, 00:20
was that a 285 or 305?

any other mods prior to the upgrade?

thanks in advance

It was the 304

No 'real' mods; panel filter, stage '0', injectors cleaned, running on V-power

hamish
Sunday 26th October 2008, 01:56
I dont think so paul, you and i have crossed posts many times and our cars in RT's workshop...however good my 19T was running with the custom ?? rica it is now miles better with an...other remap..so hamish has got his foot in the door..good luck it was only a matter of time, you'll need it lol.. i'm not going to say i had any problems with the rica but the 'other map' is better.. so to summarise I HAVE USED RICA AND ANOTHER ECU MAP AND THE OTHER WAS/IS BETTER..the aftermarket service is also much better as your not told to basicaly f**k off when things go wrong, which i hav'nt had the misfortune of suffering from..only having a very good friend phoning me from the roadside with a shagged motor only 2 hrs after having parted with £3.5K ..make of my post what you will but this whole arguement is only realy to save people losing money and being treated badly..in all fairness T5D5 could be called the Hamish refugee site as most have found out first hand how hamish works and aren't happy, also realise all these people are LONG standing members in the volvo community which makes them/us feel the need to help the newbies ...

Hello Volvised,

FYI we are NOT buying any new tunes of Rica and haven't been for a year now. The only Rica tunes I would still use a very tried and tested. It is common knowledge that standard remaps are little different from tuner to tuner. Your mates car you are refering to was remapped by Rica/Adam Weber a for Director of Chip Tuning (which has ceased trading). The only part I had in the tuning of that car was to fit the turbo, exhaust etc. all work that was carried out to a high standard. I also helped operate the dyno when the car was being mapped. I am fairly sure that Adam's emulator wasn't working when he remapped that car (it got damaged in a dyno fire caused by some 'plonker' making his oil pipe out of heater hose!!) so he had to keep removing the chip each time he made a change. I was led to believe that Roel van der Brink was checking his work. I most certainly did not tell your mate to 'F O'. However his father did refer to me as a 'F in C' at the side of the road. HLM and Chip Tuning took/take great lengths to explain to all their customers that we cannot be responsible for the failure of elderly engines however soon after tuning. I didn't see Rica or Adam digging into their pockets to help. I offered to look at the car initially however your mate seemed to think that we should offer a 24 hr nationwide recovery service with every custom map, so the car stayed on the South Coast. This whole episode and the lack of support I recieved from my business partners made me think very seriously about my business arrangements with Rica and Adam. 6 months later we ceased dealings with Rica and Adam resigned. I would like to state at this point that Adam and Roel closed ranks on the details of that map and neither was prepared to give any explanation or financial input with regard the demise of that engine.
My observation is still that surely if an adult approaches you and asks your company to fit a big turbo to his car he is aware that when driven hard it might well have a detrimental effect on the longevity of his 100,000 mile engine and is prepared to accept most of the risk.
Please stop stating that either myself or my own company mapped your mates car it is incorrect.
I have taken on board the events of March 2007 and made changes to ensure as best as I can that it will never happen again. I have always tried to offer good service I am however not prepared to be abused or taken advantage of.
With regard to all those refugees on T5D5 how many of them have got first hand experience of me and my company HLM remapping their cars and then it blowing up as a result in the last year and a half since it's inception? (I'll give you a clue....it's less than 1).
I am certain that the map on your mates car was a reasonable job however to ensure their is no chance of a repeat please accept my assuraces that Chip Tuning Ltd has ceased, and we have deleted Rica.
Also remember that when I started in the Volvo Tuning world the only option prior to our arrival was a bloke in North London selling Dump Valves and Chinese Strut Braces who also swore blind that ECU Upgrades didn't work!!!! I think we have all thankfully moved on from that and the choice is now endless.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

Jimmie
Sunday 26th October 2008, 08:14
Correct me if im wrong but when you tune an engine (or anything else)there is alwaysthe risk of things going wrong that is outwith the installers control?.
If you want a remap just go for it as there is always a risk,just remember that if Hamish or any of the other tuners were no good they would soon be out of business

BigV
Sunday 26th October 2008, 08:45
Correct me if im wrong but when you tune an engine (or anything else)there is alwaysthe risk of things going wrong that is outwith the installers control?.

no no no no....... there is no risk at all as long as you get your car tuned by the lastest flavour of the month.............. however if you get the same work done anywhere else you are DOOMED.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 08:45
Hello Volvised,

FYI we are NOT buying any new tunes of Rica and haven't been for a year now. The only Rica tunes I would still use a very tried and tested. It is common knowledge that standard remaps are little different from tuner to tuner. Your mates car you are refering to was remapped by Rica/Adam Weber a for Director of Chip Tuning (which has ceased trading). The only part I had in the tuning of that car was to fit the turbo, exhaust etc. all work that was carried out to a high standard. I also helped operate the dyno when the car was being mapped. I am fairly sure that Adam's emulator wasn't working when he remapped that car (it got damaged in a dyno fire caused by some 'plonker' making his oil pipe out of heater hose!!) so he had to keep removing the chip each time he made a change. I was led to believe that Roel van der Brink was checking his work. I most certainly did not tell your mate to 'F O'. However his father did refer to me as a 'F in C' at the side of the road. HLM and Chip Tuning took/take great lengths to explain to all their customers that we cannot be responsible for the failure of elderly engines however soon after tuning. I didn't see Rica or Adam digging into their pockets to help. I offered to look at the car initially however your mate seemed to think that we should offer a 24 hr nationwide recovery service with every custom map, so the car stayed on the South Coast. This whole episode and the lack of support I recieved from my business partners made me think very seriously about my business arrangements with Rica and Adam. 6 months later we ceased dealings with Rica and Adam resigned. I would like to state at this point that Adam and Roel closed ranks on the details of that map and neither was prepared to give any explanation or financial input with regard the demise of that engine.
My observation is still that surely if an adult approaches you and asks your company to fit a big turbo to his car he is aware that when driven hard it might well have a detrimental effect on the longevity of his 100,000 mile engine and is prepared to accept most of the risk.
Please stop stating that either myself or my own company mapped your mates car it is incorrect.
I have taken on board the events of March 2007 and made changes to ensure as best as I can that it will never happen again. I have always tried to offer good service I am however not prepared to be abused or taken advantage of.
With regard to all those refugees on T5D5 how many of them have got first hand experience of me and my company HLM remapping their cars and then it blowing up as a result in the last year and a half since it's inception? (I'll give you a clue....it's less than 1).
I am certain that the map on your mates car was a reasonable job however to ensure their is no chance of a repeat please accept my assuraces that Chip Tuning Ltd has ceased, and we have deleted Rica.
Also remember that when I started in the Volvo Tuning world the only option prior to our arrival was a bloke in North London selling Dump Valves and Chinese Strut Braces who also swore blind that ECU Upgrades didn't work!!!! I think we have all thankfully moved on from that and the choice is now endless.

Best Regards,
Hamish.

Hamish

You can try and twist the story how you like to try and make yourself look and feel better. But the fact is after taking my money, and 3hrs later my car self destructing, you ignored me. That is the simple fact. Until that point, you were the guy who I trusted with the car, you were the guy who I thought knew his stuff, and you were the guy who in a crisis (for example, melting a piston in my engine!) I would turn to to help sort it out. But obvisouly spending in excess of £6000 with you and your company over a 3 year period doesn't entitle me to that sort of customer service. I would like to know how you could justify that treatment of me, a loyal customer, someone who has spent A LOT of money with you?

No you didnt tell me the words "F - Off", but that is what you insinuated. And as for you saying my old man called you a "F in C", that is a complete and utter fabrication, and i'm going to overlook it. You don't want to drag my father into it.

Also just to clarify, I DIDN'T come to you asking to bolt a big turbo on my car. ADAM approached ME on the forum and said it would be a good option, then through speaking with both him and you on the phone, after hearing all the great amazing things that you would offer with this "upgrade", that's what I decided to go with.

It's easy for you to blame Adam now he's out of the picture and Chip Tuning Ltd have ceased trading! Handy. But when it all went wrong, Adam was the only person who spoke to me, then you took it upon yourself to deal with the situation, very well I might add, by ignoring me.

You say that your sure the map was reasonable, but then imply otherwise staing that by stating that Adam and Rica "closed ranks on the deatils of the map".

There's so much I could drag up, so many unanswered question, and so many lies I was told, mostly by yourself, but Adam also.

I would just like to know, what actions you would take if you mapped someones car, and a couple hours later they ring you from the road side with a knackered engine?

By the way, I have to ask. What was the deal with the comments about the loan car? Don't you think that was a bit childish?!

Anyway, just write me a cheque, pop it in the post and we'll never mention it again! :biggrin:

Best regards
Chris Greenfield.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 08:54
If you want a remap just go for it as there is always a risk,just remember that if Hamish or any of the other tuners were no good they would soon be out of business

Your missing the point.

Granted, there is a risk of things going wrong when tuning a car. The risk as fairly low however, if the person doing the tuning know's what they are doing.

My engine melted a piston within 3 hrs of me driving away from HLM. Coinsidence? That aside, whether it was down to the workmanship, the map, whatever... What you cannot deny, what anyone who chooses to read what happened correctly cannot deny is the way in which I was treated by Hamish. How would you like it if you spent over 3k with someone tuning your car and then when it went wrong, not 3 months, or 3 weeks, or 3 days but 3 hours later, your were just point blank ignored and told catagorically that you were going to be offered NO assistance. Is that good customer service? Anyone who says YES THAT IS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE, is simply blinded by the fact that Hamish is selling some dodgy unknown remap for the knock down bargin price of £150.

There's a saying people, Buy cheap, Pay twice.

I've never believed in buying cheap when it come to anything. So in my unfortunate case it should be Buy expensive, still pay twice.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 08:58
no no no no....... there is no risk at all as long as you get your car tuned by the lastest flavour of the month.............. however if you get the same work done anywhere else you are DOOMED.

You have no idea what your talking about.

It's people like me tyring to help people like you from making the same mistakes I did, by going to the wrong people. If you can't see past the cheap sh*tty remaps then thats up to you.

BigV
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:14
You have no idea what your talking about.

It's people like me tyring to help people like you from making the same mistakes I did, by going to the wrong people. If you can't see past the cheap sh*tty remaps then thats up to you.

I didn't ask for your help, I have my own mind.

An off the shelf remap (BTW do you have any evidence which proves they are 'sh*tty') is slightly different from spending large sums of money trying to squeeze out 1/3rd more power from a 10yr old car......... which I would not be stupid enough do try and do in the first place.

I just can't believe how naive some people are when it comes to spending money on cars!

PNuT
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:25
from a 10yr old car.........

what exactly does the age of a car have to do with anything?

BigV
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:28
what exactly does the age of a car have to do with anything?

I think we can all agree a 10yr old car is going to have seen a lot more use, wear and tear etc than one that is nearly new? Thus making it more risky to play about with?

Mrsmopp
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:42
Ok so to sum up (and someone correct me if I am wrong) - off the shelf remaps for a straightforward map there is plenty of choice and apart from delivering power slightly differently they are all on a fairly level playing field. There is no more risk with one companies off te shelf map than with another?

If you are looking to spend big bucks on upgrading your car to take a custom map then do some research?

And just to clarify, although I don't take anything away from Chris and the problems he has had because in his position I too would have been mortified, for every customer who has had a negative experience there are probably a lot more who have had a positive one (most of whom are afraid to post up for fear of the "anti-hamish" lynch mob!)

x

PNuT
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:43
I think we can all agree a 10yr old car is going to have seen a lot more use, wear and tear etc than one that is nearly new? Thus making it more risky to play about with?

seems alittle bit of a generalisation to me, ive seen some high milage explod cars 3-4 years old with double the milage of a 12 year car....

with regards to the money, what exactly is wrong with spending 20 grand on a car that will do everything & maybe more than a 40 grand M3? modding is actually an awfull lot cheaper than buying new! fair enough you will never get the money back, but you wont on a new car either

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:53

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

pault5
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:53
Ok so to sum up (and someone correct me if I am wrong) - off the shelf remaps for a straightforward map there is plenty of choice and apart from delivering power slightly differently they are all on a fairly level playing field. There is no more risk with one companies off te shelf map than with another?

If you are looking to spend big bucks on upgrading your car to take a custom map then do some research?

And just to clarify, although I don't take anything away from Chris and the problems he has had because in his position I too would have been mortified, for every customer who has had a negative experience there are probably a lot more who have had a positive one (most of whom are afraid to post up for fear of the "anti-hamish" lynch mob!

x

About right.
Had good work and a nice map done nearly 3 years ago on my car, car never missed a beat goes like stink, yet I must be a total moron for ever letting HLM/VT touch my car.:ashamed:
How many people have had problems with HLM/VT 3, 4 or 5?:splat:
Paul

Mrsmopp
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:56
Moppy you missing the point

Hamish is selling a knocked off map for 50% less than any registered map(be it off the shelf or custom)claiming its a genuine Rica but yet as Hamish has lost the right to SELL the Rica

Rica has been informed of the situation regarding Hamish's maps and they have stated that HLM is no longer an authorised Rica dealer

So what warranty under the consumers rights(Because we do have rights)does Hamish's maps come under?

I'm not missing the point at all and isn't it funny how this is the first time in 12 pages that this particular issue has been raised - stinks of moving goalposts again. if thats what the real issue is here then why has it not been mentioned yet?

Its, obviously, not a question I can answer - perhaps you could call or email Hamish and post his response here?

x

BigV
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:58
So have I got this right BigV

What you are saying is people with 10year+ old cars shouldn't tuner there cars past a simple remap?

Well, I suppose that is a fair representation of my opinion yes....... I would never say never because I know other people have done so successfully, but if you are not fully aware and happy to accept that an bad outcome is possible even probable at some point down the line you shouldn't do it......

I don't think most of us are willing to accept that risk, and on some of the T5's I have seen for sale before buying mine even a simple remap would be pushing your luck!

in reply to PNUT: Yes it was a generalisation, but it holds true 99% of the time..... old car, 100k miles, more worn out....... Unless we are a user car dealer, in which case it was owned by a vicar, never driven above 50 and is in showroom condition!

BigV
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:59
Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yep, if I don't agree with you I must be an idiot right.......

Jeez, a fool and his money........

Mrsmopp
Sunday 26th October 2008, 09:59
Anyone else feel a "yeah but" mentality going on here?

x

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:00

And just to clarify, although I don't take anything away from Chris and the problems he has had because in his position I too would have been mortified, for every customer who has had a negative experience there are probably a lot more who have had a positive one (most of whom are afraid to post up for fear of the "anti-hamish" lynch mob!)

x

What your saying is pretty accurate Moppy. The off the shelf rempas are all much alike, and all proven to do the job and be safe.

However when someone from a company (that I believe, through my experience, isn't good to deal with) turns up with a VERY CHEAP remap, with dubious origins, I am very sceptical. And it would be my advise to be very wiery of this product. Just my opinion.

Cheap, isn't always best. In fact the cheapest is almost certainly the worst, no matter what your buyin. Like I said Buy cheap, Pay twice.

Mrsmopp
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:04
What your saying is pretty accurate Moppy. The off the shelf rempas are all much alike, and all proven to do the job and be safe.

However when someone from a company (that I believe, through my experience, isn't good to deal with) turns up with a VERY CHEAP remap, with dubious origins, I am very sceptical. And it would be my advise to be very wiery of this product. Just my opinion.

Cheap, isn't always best. In fact the cheapest is almost certainly the worst, no matter what your buyin. Like I said Buy cheap, Pay twice.

Thanks Chris and from your own, direct, experience I don't think anyone would blame you being wary :)

x

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:05
Yep, if I don't agree with you I must be an idiot right.......

Jeez, a fool and his money........

Well you got one thing right.

It's not about aggreeing or disagreeing. Its about reading all the facts and making an informed decision. If you want Hamish tinkering with your car, thats your choice. So you are right, a fool and his money....

BigV
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:08
Well you got one thing right.

It's not about aggreeing or disagreeing. Its about reading all the facts and making an informed decision. If you want Hamish tinkering with your car, thats your choice. So you are right, a fool and his money....

I have read all the facts....... I have made my opinions of tuning cars clear....... what more do you want me to say, apart from I think you were unlucky........

PNuT
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:10
in reply to PNUT: Yes it was a generalisation, but it holds true 99% of the time..... old car, 100k miles, more worn out....... Unless we are a user car dealer, in which case it was owned by a vicar, never driven above 50 and is in showroom condition!

99% ? thats quite a high figure

most t5's aint driven that hard for most of their lives because of the simple fact you cannot do it!

i would prefer to rely on data from individual engines & other items on the vehicle rather than looking at the speedo & making a decision from that.....

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:11
I have read all the facts....... I have made my opinions of tuning cars clear....... what more do you want me to say, apart from I think you were unlucky........

that'll do! :Handshake We'll agree to disagree

hamish
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:16
Moppy you missing the point

Hamish is selling a knocked off map for 50% less than any registered map(be it off the shelf or custom)claiming its a genuine Rica but yet as Hamish has lost the right to SELL the Rica

Rica has been informed of the situation regarding Hamish's maps and they have stated that HLM is no longer an authorised Rica dealer

So what warranty under the consumers rights(Because we do have rights)does Hamish's maps come under?

I am NOT selling knocked of maps. These are maps I purchased from Rica Over many years while I WAS their distibutor. They ARE files that were tuned by Rica and by law I can sell them as that! What I am not entitled to do is pass of as an agent for Rica. Which is what Rica have confirmed. You have exactly the same rights under consumer law as you had when we were the distibutors/ agents for Rica. Please be advised that history has proven that Rica will offer no assistance financial or otherwise when their tuning goes bad.
Please stop making up these stories to suit your arguments.
Here is the facts I have good title to some tuning files and I can sell them for a any price I choose.
I have never heard anything so ridiculous somebody trys to sell a product at an affordable price and you then accuse him of unfairly undercutting the competition.........you are special.!!!

Regards,
Hamish.

PNuT
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:17
the one thing i will never understand regarding chris car is why a AFR meter was never fitted? regardless of the age of the engine when using something that has been tuned its quite a good idea to keep an eye on whats going on! something somewere obviously went wrong & a couple of hundred quid may very well have prevented it!!

BigV
Sunday 26th October 2008, 10:41
99% ? thats quite a high figure

most t5's aint driven that hard for most of their lives because of the simple fact you cannot do it!

i would prefer to rely on data from individual engines & other items on the vehicle rather than looking at the speedo & making a decision from that.....

Oh come on please, pull the other one......... Now you are making generalisations!

I mean it doesn't take a genius to understand that a USED car is called USED for a reason....... it has previously be used and possibly abused and will be showing signs of wear and tear, however well maintained........ To pretend that age and mileage doesn't matter at all, especially when tuning is idiotic and I think it would be rather foolish for you to try and make that argument........... since none of us can see inside of an engine without stripping it to pieces we only have limited info to go on, and the miles on the clock is one of those pieces.

Are you one of these people that believe police cars are always maintained to the highest standards as well? :comp:

PNuT
Sunday 26th October 2008, 13:24
Oh come on please, pull the other one......... Now you are making generalisations!

I mean it doesn't take a genius to understand that a USED car is called USED for a reason....... it has previously be used and possibly abused and will be showing signs of wear and tear, however well maintained........ To pretend that age and mileage doesn't matter at all, especially when tuning is idiotic and I think it would be rather foolish for you to try and make that argument........... since none of us can see inside of an engine without stripping it to pieces we only have limited info to go on, and the miles on the clock is one of those pieces.

Are you one of these people that believe police cars are always maintained to the highest standards as well? :comp:

a car is used after its done 10 miles from the factory... im not generalising, its fact that a T5 cannot be driven under heavy load its whole life in the same way that a smaller engined car can be....

the mileage on a clock only tells you how far that clock has been! nothing more nothing less! well unless something unlawful has taken place!

i wouldn't be foolish enough to generalise about the state of plod cars as they are maintained by different people...

maybe you can point out to us less knowledgeable people the tolerances of wear & tear that are acceptable to start modding our cars?

hamish
Sunday 26th October 2008, 13:30
Sorry when have I accused you of unfairly undercutting the competition?

I was under the impression that Adam was Chiptuning to which HE had the rights to sell the Rica not yourself

Or are you telling Rica that you are Chiptuning?

Sorry!!! Yes in your first line you accuse me

"Hamish is selling a knocked off map for 50% less than any registered map("

Oh and Adam was a former employee and director of Chip Tuning Ltd which sold Rica products in the UK.

Rica are well aware that I was/am a director of Chip Tuning Ltd.

Diablo you appear to be another person who is short on factual information. Please be aware that not everything you read on T5D5 is true.:hilarious

Regards,
Hamish.

hamish
Sunday 26th October 2008, 14:10
Hamish

You can try and twist the story how you like to try and make yourself look and feel better. But the fact is after taking my money, and 3hrs later my car self destructing, you ignored me. That is the simple fact. Until that point, you were the guy who I trusted with the car, you were the guy who I thought knew his stuff, and you were the guy who in a crisis (for example, melting a piston in my engine!) I would turn to to help sort it out. But obvisouly spending in excess of £6000 with you and your company over a 3 year period doesn't entitle me to that sort of customer service. I would like to know how you could justify that treatment of me, a loyal customer, someone who has spent A LOT of money with you?

£6000 !! You are clearly prone to a bit of exagerattion.
We do not offer 24hr Roadside Assistance we leave that to the AA or RAC.

No you didnt tell me the words "F - Off", but that is what you insinuated. And as for you saying my old man called you a "F in C", that is a complete and utter fabrication, and i'm going to overlook it. You don't want to drag my father into it.

Perhaps it wasn't F in C in which case it must have been F in W it was certainly a load of Verbal Abuse.

Also just to clarify, I DIDN'T come to you asking to bolt a big turbo on my car. ADAM approached ME on the forum and said it would be a good option, then through speaking with both him and you on the phone, after hearing all the great amazing things that you would offer with this "upgrade", that's what I decided to go with.

Did I start the conversation with " look into my eyes, look into my eyes when you wake up you will buy a Hybrid Turbo" ......no? ...didn't think so.
It's easy for you to blame Adam now he's out of the picture and Chip Tuning Ltd have ceased trading! Handy. But when it all went wrong, Adam was the only person who spoke to me, then you took it upon yourself to deal with the situation, very well I might add, by ignoring me.

Adam didn't/doesn't have any money!!! It was easy for him to promise things and then expect me to get my magic cheque book out to sort them.
You say that your sure the map was reasonable, but then imply otherwise staing that by stating that Adam and Rica "closed ranks on the deatils of the map".

It was after all running a correct AFR of 12:1 through the rev rage at WOT.

There's so much I could drag up, so many unanswered question, and so many lies I was told, mostly by yourself, but Adam also.

I don't think I really told any lies I just gave you some home truths that you didn't like.

I would just like to know, what actions you would take if you mapped someones car, and a couple hours later they ring you from the road side with a knackered engine?

In the first instance , like I did with you, I would ask them what the hell had they been doing with car. If they replyed with "giving it some stick" I would probably advise them that might be the cause of their problem.
When somebody signs a dyno agreement or a tuning disclaimer they are entering into a legally binding contract. If they would like an engine warranty on their old car and roadside recovery then the answer is either no or that's going to cost you alot of money (more than £2500).

By the way, I have to ask. What was the deal with the comments about the loan car? Don't you think that was a bit childish?!

I replaced the cylinder head on that car at great expense and like an adult I put it down to experience.

Anyway, just write me a cheque, pop it in the post and we'll never mention it again! :biggrin:

Chris...The cheque is in the post, I love you and.........:hilarious

Best regards
Chris Greenfield.

Hamish.
XXX

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 17:09
Dearest Hamish

£6000 !! You are clearly prone to a bit of exagerattion.
We do not offer 24hr Roadside Assistance we leave that to the AA or RAC.

Ok that is an exaggeration I agree, I actually spent £5800 with HLM between October 2003 and March 2007! My point stays the same.

I never asked you to offer 24hr roadside assistance. At what point was that asked of you? After our initial conversation I was going to see what recovery I could organise, which I did, and you offered to see if you could organise anything (which you didn’t).

Perhaps it wasn't F in C in which case it must have been F in W it was certainly a load of Verbal Abuse.

As I previously said, I suggest you don’t drag my father into it, and do not accuse him of something he never did, this is utter fabrication to suit your own story. Please leave it at that.

Did I start the conversation with " look into my eyes, look into my eyes when you wake up you will buy a Hybrid Turbo" ......no? ...didn't think so.

LOL! Good Little Britain impression! Part of your job is to sell yourself and your products, so after speaking with yourself and Adam I was convinced that your hybrid was the best option. That is a simple fact. How else would I have even known about it??

Adam didn't/doesn't have any money!!! It was easy for him to promise things and then expect me to get my magic cheque book out to sort them.

I don’t really know what to say about Adam. He fed me crap too, and he certainly wasn’t the good cop, in your good cop, bad cop outfit, that everyone thought he was. I know that. So I don’t hold you fully responsible, it was him too. At the end of the day VT was you and Adam. But I believe it was you who told Adam to tell me that you were dealing with it. And it was you personally that ignored my calls and emails, and told me that you would offer no assistance.

It was after all running a correct AFR of 12:1 through the rev rage at WOT.

I don’t know, was it? I didn’t have time to take it to a dyno after picking it up from you, it only lasted 3 hours! I never received a print out from your dyno. I was shown several different plots on your computer.

I don't think I really told any lies I just gave you some home truths that you didn't like.

Refresh my memory on what home truths you told me?

When I asked you what checks you’d done, you said you checked the fault codes and did a visual check. I asked Adam if it threw up any fault codes. He said the fault codes weren’t checked! I asked you outright on the phone, if you’d fitted this turbo to another P1 car, you said you had. Had you?

In the first instance , like I did with you, I would ask them what the hell had they been doing with car. If they replyed with "giving it some stick" I would probably advise them that might be the cause of their problem.
When somebody signs a dyno agreement or a tuning disclaimer they are entering into a legally binding contract. If they would like an engine warranty on their old car and roadside recovery then the answer is either no or that's going to cost you alot of money (more than £2500).

I admit, I was giving it “some stick”. But as I previously stated, no more than Adam when he took me on a test drive. If you’re not supposed to put your foot down a bit in the car after you’ve tuned it, please do tell me what the point of tuning the car is?

No matter what "contractual agreements" you make people sign before having work done, it does not mean you are free from blame if the work you have carried out is at fault.

I replaced the cylinder head on that car at great expense and like an adult I put it down to experience.

You showed me a dyno plot for this little rover that you had Rica’d! Why would you remap a car that is famously known for head gasket failure? Also, you know full well that the car was fubar’d when it was given to me. Adam told me to not take the revs over 5000rpm, “because it didn’t like it”!!! And as I said previously, I didn’t. I only drove it home, parked it up for the week, and drove it back to you. If you had checked the mileage you would have known that that is the honest truth. To be honest, you are proving yourself to be very petty by maintaining that I had something to do with the head gasket failure on this car!

Chris...The cheque is in the post, I love you and.........

Excellent news, thanks very much. Don’t forget to include the cost of transporting the car, stripping the old engine to find out what happened, picking up a new engine and downpipe, fitting a new engine and downpipe, and the cost of a new stage 1 remap courtesy of my friend Don. Ta.

D’you know what?, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. I’m more inclined to laugh at this stage, it was 18 months ago. As you say, best put it all down to experience. But, go on, just admit that you could have handled the situation better? Rather than just telling me, in not so many words, to go away!

I can't bring myself to say I love you back, sorry about that, I'm just not that way inclined.

Kindest regards
Chris
:kiss:

t5 pete
Sunday 26th October 2008, 17:22
WOW i havent been on here for one day Ive missed loads i have had my 304 done as stated eairler in this thread the car runs superb the only thing that i do get is a slight constant miss mainly in 5th gear i have have asked in this thread if any one knows why and had a few good replys i would be greatfull if hamish has any understaning of this also as i have stated before my freind cars does this a ford cosworth and he says his is due to unstable boost at higher speeds and higher gears? also if i had spent £5000-£6000 for a bigger turbo etc i would expect the internals to be all strenghend i know that wouldnt stop a piston from meltin but also would want every precaution in place I.E. waterinjection AFRmonitior etc which i am going to do when i rebuild the engine for the 19t also it is stated that chris didnt have a AFR monitor when all the work had been done if he had spent all of this money what is a extra £300 ish to be able to monitor them and be able to stop the damage occuring its a bit stupid realy spend a hell of a lot of money and dont have a AFR fitted also when his car was finished did it go on the rr surley that would have picked it up.
I dont pretend to be any expert in any way i just do as much reaserch as possible and thanks to volvoised and irf im going to fit the WI and AFR it is always help full to keep an open mind but it is true that some will get more bad attention than good if only a couple of people hav had a bad experience you never hear of all the good ones that havent had any problems.
To sum it up im happy with the 304 its just the slight miss but it never worried me as a few peoples cars do the same when running more power.
Also hamish ive fitted the FSD'S and new top mounts the suspension has tranformed.
Cheers pete

t5 pete
Sunday 26th October 2008, 17:37
MY post came up after the two before i agree if there was a fault with the work carried out by a firm the firm should have to repair or renew due to bad work man ship also why couldnt you take you car over 5000rmp i would want to know why surly something is wrong for the car not wanting to go over that i honestly dont know who is at fault and its nothing to do with me there was obviously a problem with the afr for this to happen.
I am a builder and if i build a wall and it falls down even 1yr later and its my fault to sh*t footings etc i will rebuild free of charge and wouldnt be able to appolige enough but if the owner of the wall knocks it down with a digger for say there would be a change in heel i would rebuild it free of charge.
I know that staement is way off topic i was just trying to use it for instance
pete

S70T5Chris
Sunday 26th October 2008, 18:14
the one thing i will never understand regarding chris car is why a AFR meter was never fitted? regardless of the age of the engine when using something that has been tuned its quite a good idea to keep an eye on whats going on! something somewere obviously went wrong & a couple of hundred quid may very well have prevented it!!

Mate, I couldn't agree more. And since knowing about AFR gauges, and having one fitted, I have said the exact same thing.

What everyone needs to realise is, I, like most of the people on the forums, don't have a huge tuning knowledge, if I did i'd be p*ssing around with my car myself. So what I do, is entrust companies with my car, and let them tell me what can be done with my car, what is safe, and what is available to me. I'm quite happy to pay through the nose for this service, clearly!

An AFR gauge was never mention at any point, I probably hadn't even heard of such a thing at the time.

But you're absolutely right, and AFR gauge may well have saved my engine. Is that my fault that I didn't have one at the time? Perhaps. However as I stated, how was I to know I would need such a thing unless the nice man tuning my car told me so?

PNuT
Sunday 26th October 2008, 18:58
Mate, I couldn't agree more. And since knowing about AFR gauges, and having one fitted, I have said the exact same thing.

What everyone needs to realise is, I, like most of the people on the forums, don't have a huge tuning knowledge, if I did i'd be p*ssing around with my car myself. So what I do, is entrust companies with my car, and let them tell me what can be done with my car, what is safe, and what is available to me. I'm quite happy to pay through the nose for this service, clearly!

An AFR gauge was never mention at any point, I probably hadn't even heard of such a thing at the time.

But you're absolutely right, and AFR gauge may well have saved my engine. Is that my fault that I didn't have one at the time? Perhaps. However as I stated, how was I to know I would need such a thing unless the nice man tuning my car told me so?

to be honest i guessed a couple of things, firstly that you didnt have an afr gauge fitted & secondly that that one was never offered! why not is something i will probably not ever understand either as from the tuning companies point of view(assuming everything is maped correctly) it will increase profit & posibly safegard the product!

i certainly wouldnt blame you! i have a fairly good understanding of the internal combustion engine, but when you add turbocharging too it it increases the need for understanding to a whole new level! certainly not something that the average user is going to have without doing an awful lot of research!