PDA

View Full Version : front tyre wear

p0xy
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 21:56
well was parked up today so thought i would check my front tyres and %$^%they both bald on the inside... one of them is showing the wire so gotta get 2 new tyres tomorro and getting the tracking checked.... ive only had the car a few months and it had new tyres put on for its mot in august.... anyoner got any ideas what it could be???

cheers

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 22:16
Almost 100% it's tracking at fault. lot of these dam tyre places are crap at setting it up.

t5 pete
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 22:18
bad camber or tracking

850 2.5 10v
Friday 24th October 2008, 09:31
IIRC when I got my Volvo 855 5 years ago I got the loacal Volvo dealer to set up the tracking for the front and back wheels.

I am sure they said the rears could be adjusted.

Anyway I have had a set of P6000's on the rear for 42k miles and they are still showing 4mm comfortably.

In that time I have had two sets of fronts.

Just about to have them all changed for a set of Kumho Ecsta Sports all in for £224.00 - 205.55.15

Cheers

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 13:27
wear on the inner edge suggests that ur front wheels are toeing out to much, manufacturer setup is toe in 1 degree.

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 13:35
also makesure where ever you get your tracking done that they atleast have laser alignment equipment, and not the oldschool 'dunlop' gauges as these are more or less usless, idealy have a full 4 wheels alignment done at your local main dealer (1 hour labour)

p0xy
Friday 24th October 2008, 13:56
well it was the tracking it was way out.. they said it wasnt even showin up on the machine pleased it was just that all sorted now but £113 outa pocket but never mind lol

BruceT
Friday 24th October 2008, 14:03
What tyres did you get??

p0xy
Friday 24th October 2008, 14:54
What tyres did you get??

just budget for the time been till i save up a little bit lolol... they were £44 each

nobananas
Friday 24th October 2008, 20:27
also makesure where ever you get your tracking done that they atleast have laser alignment equipment, and not the oldschool 'dunlop' gauges as these are more or less usless, idealy have a full 4 wheels alignment done at your local main dealer (1 hour labour)

Err, whats wrong with the Dunlop gauges ? As long as they are correctly set up they are perfectly accurate (well I've never had any trouble with them anyway )

850twr
Friday 24th October 2008, 21:46
because with dunlop gauges u can only read how the front wheels toe to each other yet u have no way of knowing how the fronts are aligned to the rears, for an accurate track u need to know how the fronts align to the rears aswell as each other.

nobananas
Friday 24th October 2008, 22:32
For four wheel alignment I agree, but your not going to need to do that everytime you change a track rod end or disturb some part of the front suspension.

850twr
Saturday 25th October 2008, 02:43
yes for simple adjustments/replacements on one wheel, if knowing tracking was previously fine then dunlops are adequate, but pr0xys tracking wasnt ok and can be a bit of a guessing game with dunlops. What i explained above tho was not a four wheel alignment, just the correct way for doin the front, on a 4 wheel alignment the equipment must then be swapped front to back and the rears adjusted in co-ord with the fronts.

anyway glad you got it sorted mate tyewear is costly enuff at the best of times with t5's.

p0xy
Saturday 25th October 2008, 07:50
yes for simple adjustments/replacements on one wheel, if knowing tracking was previously fine then dunlops are adequate, but pr0xys tracking wasnt ok and can be a bit of a guessing game with dunlops. What i explained above tho was not a four wheel alignment, just the correct way for doin the front, on a 4 wheel alignment the equipment must then be swapped front to back and the rears adjusted in co-ord with the fronts.

anyway glad you got it sorted mate tyewear is costly enuff at the best of times with t5's.

ye mate thank god its sorted seems to drive alot better now lol... and it was the laser one and it took them over an hour to do...

LesRED850R
Saturday 25th October 2008, 10:53
also makesure where ever you get your tracking done that they atleast have laser alignment equipment, and not the oldschool 'dunlop' gauges as these are more or less usless, idealy have a full 4 wheels alignment done at your local main dealer (1 hour labour) 850 rear wheels are not adjustable..........And some computers dont differentiate between standard 850s and R or T5 models so you need to go to a good dealer. What you paid seems to be very exxy compared to what is available here so it pays to check their credentials.........As in anything car related as we all know.!

850twr
Saturday 25th October 2008, 23:34
i wasnt aware that 850's wernt adjustable at the rear, i have done quite a few s/v70 phs ! cars of which are adjustable, however was only making my point that lasers with readings off even the static rears is the best way rather that the last century dunlops.