PDA

View Full Version : Help! Coolant Drain

HuskMan
Monday 2nd May 2005, 08:18
Had to bring the R home on the back of a recovery truck last night. My wife was unhappy (wants to get rid and get a 'proper' new car - 6 weeks I've had it 3 problems) but my 2 year old loved the lorry and the yellow flashing lights.

Cruising at 75mph on a sunny evening in Cambridgeshire, enjoying the view. Suddenly, plumes of steam from under the bonnet. Pulled over to a parking spot (kid bouncing off the walls inside the car). The pressure cap was spitting coolant all over the engine.

Coolant sat at minimum with bubbles coming to the surface. Cooled her down and limped to a garage and dropped in some water to see if I had a tube loose.

The coolant and water just drained right through to the forecourt floor. It didn't even sit at minimum anymore just drained right through. No obvious single place that it drained out of and it was getting dark.

Anyone with a firm/good idea of the problem?

I am thinking new radiator (unfortunately) but I'll get under her after breakfast.

She has been running at about a third of her proper temperature for a while on long runs so I hold out hope that it is a cheaper problem, like a jammed or broken thermostat. But my knowledge is just not good enough to tell.

I'd 'preciate some advice my wise friends.

lance
Monday 2nd May 2005, 12:57
Get it into Dave at Lenton mate , Im sure he will sort it :bricks:

HuskMan
Monday 2nd May 2005, 20:31
Would have to happen on a bank holiday weekend wouldn't it?

I'll ring DP in the morning.

I managed to bugger up my front spoiler on a ramp this morning as well. :slap: Absolutely cheesed off with the whole thing. Two great cracks on the R splitter. Fuming I was. :splat:

Bloody thing is costing me an arm and a leg and not getting me very far. :brokenhea

Hopefully, if I throw some money at Dave I'll get the the core problem. :B_steerin

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 00:16
Busted tstat or broken rad would be my suggestions. Lets hope you stopped in time

HuskMan
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 13:54
Much calmer today. :sorry:

I had to do about 2-3 miles to get off the dual carriageway and to a garage where I had the obligatory hour wait for recovery.

I desperately wanted to avoid cooking the engine but had to get wife and two-year old off the Bank Holiday road-side.

It's due for DP treatment on Thursday - praying for a t/stat, guessing a rad but fearing a fully-boiled bank-draining mechanic fest. :deal:

All my money saved for VT and messr RICA is up in steam. I'm afraid Adam and friends are going to have to wait a bit longer for my cash... :pants:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 20:41
Lets pray for your sake you havent cooked the head. These ally heads don't like the heat you know.