PDA

View Full Version : turbo

ikp_77
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 20:54
how do you tell if the turbo is on its way out any help please

timbo_1975
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 22:51
9 times out of 10 when the turbo lets go the oil seal fails and you get huge blue smoke from the exhaust, and the sump empties rather quickly; although they will usually still boost fine.

On the other occasions you will hear a rattle or ziiiiiing-ing (blades hitting housing) when the bearings have failed, inwhich case the seal will soon follow (more smoke)

If it has injested solid matter or been surged or over boosted or over heated then bent / disintegrated wheels / blades are likely, so listen out for rattles again, and poor boost. If the car is driven much more depending on the nature of the damage either the exhaust will be filled with bits of turbo (largely ok) or the inlet / intercooler will be (bye bye engine)

Ancillarys such as the wastegate valve, rod or diaphragm or recirc valve and / or plumbing can fail but this isn't 'turbo failure'.

Why exactly do you ask??

Tim..

ikp_77
Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 17:32
its just it boosts fine 1 min and not the next if you get what i mean when it does boost it feels lumpy its not smooth thanks tim

Agtrak100
Friday 30th January 2009, 18:55
Check fuel filters are in good nick.etc'.. I had a an 850T5 with T19g and i had a few issues for a while .. check basic stuff first, if it aint smoking or noisy then you should be reasonable sure that it aint the blower, could be some thing else upsettign the brain and making her fuel abit funny

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 31st January 2009, 00:51
I would start else where first. Dodgy MAF, bad BCS - air leaks. A failed turbo is easy enough to spot - just try following one down the motorway. #cough cough#

Inconsistent boost is not generally one of the symptoms I have seen.