PDA

View Full Version : V70R Vs XC90 D5

ClarkV70R
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 16:46
I currently have a V70R 2004 Manual and have just started using it as a tow car but am thinking of swaping for an XC90 D5 2.4 se but have heard a few stories regarding the unreliability of the XC90 drivetrain weaknesses. Just want your opinoins on weather to keep the R or go for the XC90 for towing a large caravan. Thanks in advance, Jeff

dave stew
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 16:58
It depends on what you want to drive when not towing the caravan...
Stealthy high performance estate or ugly 'get out of my way you peasant' SUV...

ClarkV70R
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 17:11
It depends on what you want to drive when not towing the caravan...
Stealthy high performance estate or ugly 'get out of my way you peasant' SUV...
Just thinking about the towing part. When not towing, I would pick the R anyday but worried that It might not be as good as a diesel SUV for towing. I have also heard that the XC90 D5 is a little weak and may have problems with drive train i.e driveshafts etc.. just want some info to help me make my mind up.

dave stew
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 17:21
I know, I'm being faceatious! But that proves the these urban tanks aren't really fit for purpose if they aren't up to towing a decent load.

Loz1
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 19:01
I currently have a V70R 2004 Manual and have just started using it as a tow car but am thinking of swaping for an XC90 D5 2.4 se but have heard a few stories regarding the unreliability of the XC90 drivetrain weaknesses. Just want your opinoins on weather to keep the R or go for the XC90 for towing a large caravan. Thanks in advance, Jeff

I know i'll be linched for this, but does it have to be an XC90 D5.
I have a 850 T5 estate for general trips, and a 1996 Mitsubishi Shogun V6 LWB (lpg converted) for towing, and heavy drop off's. Never had a problem in 2 years, covered over 40 thousand miles in it (including going through europe to Sweden, Norway and back, Twice). Always starts on first key turn. Can tow upto 3 tonnes (possibly more without a problem).
Bought for 3 grand and no sign of falling apart yet.

Jaseb77
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 10:22
how big is the caravan and whats the weight ?

I tow with the S60 d5 no problems, 18ft caravan

lance
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 10:25
Im sorry I know I will get slated but do us all a favour get rid of the caravan!

thebadger
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 14:31
My dad uses a Renault Espace to tow his van. It's a 2lt auto & apparently it has a really good tow ratio. (that's the thing you should be looking at!)

Some "big" cars have loads of Bhp, but not much torque to do towing, it's the ratio between the two that makes a really good tow car!

I think the caravan club have a list of the ratios for general viewing.

HTH.

thebadger
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 14:32
P.s. Don't mock the caravan afflicted, they're great to borrow at festival time!

cornclose
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 14:53
I tow a caravan with my V70 T5 no problems at all - 22ft caravan, weight 1275kg.

GreenMachine
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 15:38
Mines a little smaller but no prob on the V70 T5 - however my 850 tows it much better with its novamats