PDA

View Full Version : rica or bigger turbo an remap????????????

Mental Wealth Doctor
Monday 20th October 2008, 23:44
Any advice on how i can make my beasty go quickier 850 2.5 awd 193bhp, have fitted irridium plugs, jetex twin exhaust, k n panel filter,
thinking of bigger turbo 18 or 19 t with ecu remap an water injection kit,
oh yeh an ive got a lpg kit fitted, which ive been assured by lpg man is good for up to 500bhp,
should i just get rica chip with water injection kit?
or go to town with bigger turbo and proper remap?

i dont wanna kill my car but it needs more oooomph, advice please

Niles
Monday 20th October 2008, 23:52
hi, as far a my knowledge go's I'd say dont go mad!! A 19T & remap would destroy your AWD system. Your better off talking to Rica & seeing what limits they suggest. The 4WD system on your car is notoriously weak. Have a think, If it was good for 300+ bhp lots of us would be going 4WD, reason lots don't is because that drive train just cant take it. Even the later V70R drive train is a little dodgy with iffy transfer boxes etc.
Just my 'gathered' knowledge. Advice....talk to the experts & be VERY careful.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 20th October 2008, 23:55
Rica (or whatever remap) will get you to about 235bhp (if everything is up to scratch).

The problem with the 2.5 is its not as strong as the 2.3 engine, but hey its not bad.

Other than a standard remap, you can fit a 16T turbo, bigger injectors, downpipe and sport exhaust system will get you to 280bhp (maybe?)

I'm lookin to do the same with my awd sometime in the future, but they are heavy buggers, at just over 2.1 ton unladen they're not easy to stop! You'll be needing better brakes.

Justin, the VPCUK god, had an awd S60R (i think) and he had a problem with his awd system, had to have the transfer box (or something) replaced, and his had around 300bhp (someone correct me please).

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:00
A 19T & remap would destroy your AWD system.

And your pocket, LOL

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:03
I made my own twin exhaust (i know but I try to do everything cheap) by cutting the end off the left hand box and adding a 3" tailpipe to it

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/volvopics/after.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/volvopics/oncar.jpg

Just needed some chrome/stainless tips on it. Only cost me £20 for the 4foot section of 3" pipe

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:14
lol,,, just got transfer box and viscous coupling cvt thingy replaced, so yeh have to agree they dont seem to love it, had new wishbones and oh yeh bomb bruv powerflex will soon have bushes to fit wishbones on the lpt, thanx for advice i think a honda vtr sp2 is my next tuning option, had a go in a evo fq 400 other day, made my car seem non exzistant, r well

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:19
an does any one rate thoose water injection kits???

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:20
gas burns real hot figure one of these kits might help?

cameron
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:21
Very clever that exhaust Bomb !

What has it cost you all in ?,

I might be interested in trying that myself,

Damn site cheaper than an R exhaust :D

Lee

cameron
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:26
Firstly, MWD welcome to the forum matey.

Secondly, Whatever you decide to do it would be pretty interesting to see how you get on.

You'll have to post piccys and keep us up to date.

Am i right in thinking the 2.5 awd is the lpt model ?, would the engine stand up to the added pressures of a 19T and a remap?

Lee

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:29
supposedly not cameron ive been told there transfer box an general 4wd system is weak,
gutted!

cameron
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:31
Oh bummer mate !

On the other hand you could always sell the awd and buy a T5 :D

Lee

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 00:37
yeh did have one she went bang after too much kik down abuse, seems there was a awd t5 tho cos rica do a chip/map for them 240bhp up to about 300bhp an thats 2.5 surely thats the same lump as in the lpt ?????????????

cameron
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 01:09
Sounds like the V70R AWD

Somebody on here will know for sure :D

Lee

LesRED850R
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 01:38
an does any one rate thoose water injection kits???
Yes ! The Aquamist is the premium kit but there are cheaper options [ cant seem to find one i looked at b4 my pc crashed though...] And DIY is an option for you as you seem to be very good at it [ Re;exhaust mods ] You just need to search thenet for a DIY thread and maybe IPD/Quickbricks/Volvospeed etc for the how to install guides. Good luck !! and let us know if you find a cheaper kit in UK/Europe as i am interested.....Cheers Les M.:wave23d:

Justin
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 08:12
The AWD systems on all of the Volvo's are weak points, however its hit and miss. The newer cars 2007> are better I'm told.

Mental, i would listen to Bomb here, if I'm right he has looking into most avenues on this :)

Alan M
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 08:56
[QUOTE=Justin;189813]The AWD systems on all of the Volvo's are weak points, however its hit and miss. The newer cars 2007> are better I'm told..............QUOTE]

Thats because they haven't been around that long yet, lol.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 18:44
Very clever that exhaust Bomb !

What has it cost you all in ?,

I might be interested in trying that myself,

Damn site cheaper than an R exhaust :D

Lee

Cost me £20 for the 3" pipe (was about 4 foot long), the two silencer boxes are standard on the awd, as there's no centre box, so the input is straight from the cat. I've still yet to get the tail trims, though they're around £20 - £30 depending on what style you want. Got a little vid of the sound too....

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/videos/?action=view&current=3af76c8b.flv

yeh did have one she went bang after too much kik down abuse, seems there was a awd t5 tho cos rica do a chip/map for them 240bhp up to about 300bhp an thats 2.5 surely thats the same lump as in the lpt ?????????????

That would be the V70R AWD, they were a 2435cc engine (like ours are) but they had uprated internals AFAIK and they run the ME7 ecu (ours run the M4.4). I think they came standard with 250bhp (MY1999) on an 18T turbo, and 265bhp (MY2000) on a 19T turbo.

timbo_1975
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 23:04
Aside from the weak AWD system as others have said, the 2.5lpt bottom end is essentially exactly the same as the NA 2.5 complete with cast alloy (i.e. chocolate) rods and slightly machined pistons to drop the CR down for the blower (10:1 - 9.5:1) so not much.

Whats the fascination for water injection? The standard intercooler is perfectly adequate for upwards of 300bhp (especially with a reverse flow kit) and with only 0.6 bar boost high charge temps are not a problem even in the desert!

A bigger turbo i.e. a 15 or 16t and *careful* mapping so as not to allow too much torque in the mid range would make it more lively higher up where the standard car runs out of breath, but mind you dont fold up the rods!!

The 2.3 T5 is actually created from a 2.5 block with thicker liners...

Tim..

Mental Wealth Doctor
Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 22:49
cos cars on lpg, its leaving engine real hot, thought water kit might help

Mental Wealth Doctor
Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 22:52
what about just turning the boost up on the turbo ive got, its a low compression jobby at the mo so couldnt it just be cranked up some????????????

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 23:26
I've not really looked too much into that yet, as other things have become more important on the car (new clutch was one, and just replace the rear suspension and brakes).

I guess thats what a rica/other remap would do as well as change fuelling.

mk3phill
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 01:09
Aside from the weak AWD system as others have said, the 2.5lpt bottom end is essentially exactly the same as the NA 2.5 complete with cast alloy (i.e. chocolate) rods and slightly machined pistons to drop the CR down for the blower (10:1 - 9.5:1) so not much.

The 2.3 T5 is actually created from a 2.5 block with thicker liners...

Tim..

Would like to add my two pence,.. illl have to agree to disagree,..

T5 IS a 2.5L with thicker cylinder liners,. that i will agree on but carefull inspection on vadis has confirmed that both T5 and B5254T share the same crank and conrods,. that are also forged items.

i am still only learning as far as it comes to volvos, but again this information is within vadis,.. these is also a section stating the differences between a T5 and 2.5lpt, the main ones being:
larger cylinder diameter,
new pistons/piston rings,
modified turbo, with smaller compressor to spool quicker,
boost is reduced from .6kPa to .4 kPa
Motronic 4.4 managment system

in short,.. the 2.5lpt is nothing more than a T5 with increased capacity and lower boost.,.. now i have just purchased a awd, with intentions of tuning the engine as best i can, personally i feel it can become another option to the 2.3L turbo engine, and i intend to find out. just for the record, i dont have a lot of money but i am a motorsport student an have a lot of resources/tool/ect at my use,..also time.

hope this help's

Alan M
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 07:44
I was under the impression only the pistons are forged items in the T5 and not the rods. The rods are cast items aren't they? They seem to be the major weak point when it comes to increasing the power substancially. I'm looking at stronger H section rods to go with the genuine top end parts I have and am buying. Isn't the compression ratio 8.5:1 aswell in the T5.

timbo_1975
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 08:38
I am 100% sure the rods are cast in the lpt, and when i looked at some pistons abit go (couple of years now) they were the same as the NA engine- cast too.

Given that the bore is wider than the 2.3 engine, different pistons have to be used.

I am pretty certain CR is 9:1 also.

LPG does burn alittle hotter and drier, and you will suffer with valve recession in these engines if there is no flash lube, but you shouldnt actually be having any over heating issues. I suggest you inspect the lpg setup for running too lean under load, and the cooling system.

Tim/

mk3phill
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 10:35
not entirely certain over the rods, will have another look,. T5 cr is 8.5:1 and the lpt is 9.0:1

Murphy
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 11:02
I am not a big fan of the 18/19T

15g all the way IMO, but it depends how/where you drive. I love the instant punchy power rather than linear. What turbo does the lpt have? How would a 15g + remap perform?????

mk3phill
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 11:04
would like to know the turbo on a lpt, also but vadis isnt showing much,. unless somebody knows,. ill find out later tonight when i get new car.

c70Portree
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 11:25
would like to know the turbo on a lpt, also but vadis isnt showing much,. unless somebody knows,. ill find out later tonight when i get new car.

what new car you getting pal?

timbo_1975
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 12:03
Its a 13t on the 2.5lpt.

Tim..

mk3phill
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 13:12
what new car you getting pal?

im takeing recipt of a awd 850.

c70Portree
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 14:16
im takeing recipt of a awd 850.

ooo lovely need to get pics up quick!

mk3phill
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 15:34
ooo lovely need to get pics up quick!

will get them into my albums when i get it,. cant wait haha. my first venture into turbocharged engines,..and not my last

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 18:55
Its a 13t on the 2.5lpt.

Tim..

Its a 13G timbo. Dunno what difference the letter is?

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 18:58
will get them into my albums when i get it,. cant wait haha. my first venture into turbocharged engines,..and not my last

Hope ya got a big wallet my friend, but if you love messin with cars then the AWD is fantastic! Especially clutch changes!

Give us a shout if you got any questions