PDA

View Full Version : Newly acquired V70 T5 - help on bits and pieces please

TimV70T5
Monday 20th October 2008, 18:34
Just bought myself a 1999 T plate V70 T5 with a good service history and just over 90,000 on the clock. Seems like an honest car and generally speaking I am really, really pleased with it. I've never owned a Volvo before and think it's a terrific car - pulls like a steam train and the whole world fits in the boot. However, I want to get it really, really right and there are a few things I could do with some suggestions on if anyone feels like helping out: (car is T739VHT if anyone knows it)

- Automatic gear shift lights come on when they want not when I want them to! More less than often when you've got the lights on. Easy fix? Guess loose connection somewhere.

- The near side rear looks slightly "jacked up". When you look at the car from the rear square on it seems slightly on the wonk. The gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch on the near side is larger than it is on the off side. It looks right on the off side but too big on the other - almost as if it's in an "off road" position which I know it doesnt have. Any idea? The car did have a tow bar on it which I have since taken off. I have never towed with it.

- I need 2 new front tyres. It's got the standard 16" alloys on it that t5's come with. What's best for around £100 a corner?

- last thing! I get a steering wobble at 25-30 mph - quite pronounced and if you take your hands off the wheel you can see the wheel moving from side to side. It goes at 40 mph plus. I've had the wheels tracked and balanced twice but makes no difference.

Thanks for reading and anyone replying with more knowledge than me (which will be everyone) will be greatly appreciated

cheers

Tim

Okete
Monday 20th October 2008, 19:04
Hi Tim,

Welcome to VPCUK - you've come to the right place!

I am not much of a mechanic but I do own a similar car to yours and I do share a common observation - my car looks higher on the nearside too!
It is only a slight rise but because the rear bumper and tailgate are fairly 'square' to the surface it is exaggerated to the eye!
How true this is, I cannot say, but I have been told (and I have read) that this posture is typical of a car that is invariably driven unladen (with driver only) and is just the way it sits. It has no bearing on the condition of the suspension and if fully laden a couple of trips, the car may well revert to a level stance once again. I have noticed this and am reassured that all is normal.
This is just my car - yours may be different, but if you have checked the suspension etc..........don't worry about it!

See you around on the forum!

Cheers,
John.

t5 pete
Monday 20th October 2008, 19:16
1. bad connection
2. tired rear spring or could have had spring assisters for towin and ones missin
3 i think michelin are the best i have them on myne
4. could be wishbone bushes/balljoint or tie rod

Alan M
Monday 20th October 2008, 19:19
If there is a big difference in height it may be worth checking to see if the rear suspension struts are of the same type. Someone may have just fitted a standard shock instead of a Nivomat (self leveling type) to save on cost. The two if different will be different in shape so you should be able to notice a difference. If its only a slight difference it maybe that you have a worn rear outer bush (delta link) or trailing arm bush causing an uneven stance. A good mechanic would be able to check for you if you don't feel capable. I'd go for a good tyre such as Toyo Proxes T1R for only £62 each delivered to your door from Camskill tyres online (free delivery if more than 1). They are a great all round tyre and give good traction as its needed on our cars. Welcome to the forum, Volvo's are great cars when looked after.

Forgot to add your steering wobble may be down to worn bushes on the front lower arms/droplinks/trackrod ends. Again a good mechanic will point out problems for you if your not to clued up.