PDA

View Full Version : 850 t5 top water hose seems to be boosting when i rev my engine/?

powernut
Sunday 19th October 2008, 22:35
hi all ive only really noticed this yesterday ,as im sure it didnt do this b4,,and the engines seems to have lost its little turbo sting as well ,,all 5 clyinders are runing but when i slighty lift the revs just over idiol it seems to be unevern ,maybe cos its a 5 clyinder unsure,oil was milky so gave it 2 flushers and oil seems fine after a 20 run,engine is also holding boost as well ,but if i hold the top water hose coming from the thermostat ,it seems to be boosting up like a boost pipe ,the other water pipe at the rear seems fine ,i also removed the thermostat as well,is this normal ,any pointers to check,

t5 pete
Sunday 19th October 2008, 22:42
Sounds like a blown head myne went around a year back i had no oil in the water or vise versa but the coolant was acting like a compressor also did over heat after 1min of running there was no air blockage so i striped it all down and couldnt find anything no hair line cracks in the gasket or owt so i took the head to be pressure tested and it was all fine so i ended up havin the head skimed new thermostat etc and its been fine ever since god knows what it was but i cured it i think some times on cars your fix a problem with out knowing why

cameron
Sunday 19th October 2008, 23:36
Milky oil !!!

It only does that if its emulsifying with water.

Deffo sounds like the head / head gasket imho

Lee

Alan M
Monday 20th October 2008, 07:51
The oil cooler can weep into the rad if your using the original rad Powernut. The hose could just be on its way out as the water pressure will increase when you rev the engine as the water pump will spin faster and create a larger outlet pressure and if the hose is weak from years of use the hose will expand under pressure.

powernut
Monday 20th October 2008, 15:23
furthur checking 2day ,ive been advised to not run without a thermost,,,,chap says causes blow back at high speeds,erm never heard of this b4 ,,,i have noticed the drop in pulling power evern thow she starts first time every time,ive also done a compression test and all seem to be showing around the same ,oils been fine since ,as im told short start stops arnt good for these engines either ,ive replaced the breather sytem as well ,boost holds fine at 1.2bar ,regards this this top thermostat hose im sure it should exspend like its doing ,ill try get a little video poped up as well

nobananas
Monday 20th October 2008, 19:26
Try and get a block test done either at a garage or buy you're own.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNAP-ON-MAC-TOOLS-BLOCK-TESTER-BT500-HEAD-GASKET-TESTER_W0QQitemZ250250980115QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em250250980115&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Stick the tube with the fluid into the neck of the expansion bottle and run the engine. If any gases from the combustion process are seeping into the coolant from a blown head gasket the fluid changes colour. It's not always 100 percent but works most of the time !

johntheace
Monday 20th October 2008, 19:43
Have to agree i would go with a block test...especially if the pipe is going rock hard

powernut
Monday 20th October 2008, 20:04
Try and get a block test done either at a garage or buy you're own.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNAP-ON-MAC-TOOLS-BLOCK-TESTER-BT500-HEAD-GASKET-TESTER_W0QQitemZ250250980115QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em250250980115&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Stick the tube with the fluid into the neck of the expansion bottle and run the engine. If any gases from the combustion process are seeping into the coolant from a blown head gasket the fluid changes colour. It's not always 100 percent but works most of the time !
hi pal yes ill go buy one may come in for another engine,, if i stuck the tube into the header how do i seal it/as when the engine water heats expantion starts so the water in theroy will flow out of the header tank,ive added a thermost 2day as well ,and the pipe seems to have stopped exspanding like it was ,maybe as i restrects the flow or something im unsure ,quick vid here
View My Video (http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=6nqw46&s=4)
and one of the beast lol
http://i38.tinypic.com/mic68j.jpg

stainesy
Monday 20th October 2008, 21:13
wheres the rear lights?

t5 pete
Monday 20th October 2008, 21:17
well spotted batman lol

nobananas
Monday 20th October 2008, 21:54
[QUOTE=powernut;189699]hi pal yes ill go buy one may come in for another engine,, if i stuck the tube into the header how do i seal it/as when the engine water heats expantion starts so the water in theroy will flow out of the header tank,ive added a thermost 2day as well ,and the pipe seems to have stopped exspanding like it was ,maybe as i restrects the flow or something im unsure ,quick vid here
and one of the beast lo

If you do it from cold you won't have any problems. If it's throwing water out of the header tank immediately after start up then you definitely have a HG problem.

powernut
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 18:49
well spotted batman lol
lol im just refit/building all the extra bits ,lights,grills,plates,bonet seal etc ...

powernut
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 18:53
[QUOTE=powernut;189699]hi pal yes ill go buy one may come in for another engine,, if i stuck the tube into the header how do i seal it/as when the engine water heats expantion starts so the water in theroy will flow out of the header tank,ive added a thermost 2day as well ,and the pipe seems to have stopped exspanding like it was ,maybe as i restrects the flow or something im unsure ,quick vid here
and one of the beast lo

If you do it from cold you won't have any problems. If it's throwing water out of the header tank immediately after start up then you definitely have a HG problem.
it take a fair while to get warm ,so after fitting the thermostate 2day ,fan cuts in and out as it should ,and no signs of over heating ,but as it was on my mind i thought chuff it ,might as well remove the head ,,next prob ,this may sound daft ,but i stripped everything off the engine ,but i carnt crack the head bolts off, i thought they may have cracked off at 90,im now at 150 and theres no sign of them cracking off ,stress,and thing is,if these are into alloy will they re tightern the same if i can remove these ,as i once remmeber doing a bmw,and the dam thing stripped very easy at 40,,pound,,any ideas

Alan M
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 19:01
[quote=nobananas;189740]
it take a fair while to get warm ,so after fitting the thermostate 2day ,fan cuts in and out as it should ,and no signs of over heating ,but as it was on my mind i thought chuff it ,might as well remove the head ,,next prob ,this may sound daft ,but i stripped everything off the engine ,but i carnt crack the head bolts off, i thought they may have cracked off at 90,im now at 150 and theres no sign of them cracking off ,stress,and thing is,if these are into alloy will they re tightern the same if i can remove these ,as i once remmeber doing a bmw,and the dam thing stripped very easy at 40,,pound,,any ideas

Does that mean your rebuilding it at the minute and the head bolts aren't torqueing up tight or you cannot undo them? If you can't do them up to torque them is the head seated properly?

nobananas
Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 20:22
The head bolts will be very tight to crack off, I remember doing mine up with the engine out of the car and struggling to keep the engine and subframe still whilst I angle tightened them ! Had to wedge the whole lot into a corner of the garage in the end.

powernut
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 22:18
[quote=powernut;189961]

Does that mean your rebuilding it at the minute and the head bolts aren't torqueing up tight or you cannot undo them? If you can't do them up to torque them is the head seated properly?
meant to say as the car defo..seems under powered ,and the engine has a slight unevern wobble just over idiol but dosent miss ,,,,i thought ill remove the head,and i carnt un do the head bolts ,the bolts ur bending,and worried they may snap ,,,and yes im undoing these the right way b4 any says...i didnt think these would be as tight due to them been been into alloy block therds?

t5 pete
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 22:36
It all depends how tight some one has done them i know there tight but not to the extent as you cant undew them

powernut
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 23:33
The head bolts will be very tight to crack off, I remember doing mine up with the engine out of the car and struggling to keep the engine and subframe still whilst I angle tightened them ! Had to wedge the whole lot into a corner of the garage in the end. IM STRESSED lol i snapped my torque wench at 180pound i knew somert was going to break ,how the hell im gunna get these out is another story ,and you watch ,hg will probley be fine,,,but its on my mind so its got to come off ,evern tryed shocking the with the airgun...never known bolts as tight there oly into alloy arnt they...

powernut
Thursday 23rd October 2008, 23:34
It all depends how tight some one has done them i know there tight but not to the extent as you cant undew themi agree pete but surely 180pound is too mutch ud think it would rip the block therds out