PDA

View Full Version : Auto box - on its way out?

entwisi
Sunday 19th October 2008, 20:19
My auto box has been faultless for the 3.5 years I've owned the car but this last week or two I've noticed that if I have to stop from above 20mph it seems to take anythng up to 5 or 6 seconds for it to 'engage' first before I can pull away.

If I give it a few gentle revs it does engage a bit quicker with an obvious 'thud'

The question is do I need to start saving now or is it just me being paranoid?

Cheers

Ian

mike k
Sunday 19th October 2008, 22:01
hi, you need to have the auto box fluid changed and see if things improve, mike.
________
Bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

5seaterT5x2
Sunday 19th October 2008, 22:13
My auto box has been faultless for the 3.5 years I've owned the car but this last week or two I've noticed that if I have to stop from above 20mph it seems to take anythng up to 5 or 6 seconds for it to 'engage' first before I can pull away.

If I give it a few gentle revs it does engage a bit quicker with an obvious 'thud'

The question is do I need to start saving now or is it just me being paranoid?

Cheers

Ian

Hi would at the very least change the fluid these boxes are ok but clean fluid very important. Was quoted £185 + vat for service on t5 box (no i wont be having it done but definately cheaper than a rebuild i've had that a year ago) seems fluid should be changed every 35000 u know when it was done last?

Terminator
Monday 20th October 2008, 12:40
Which model and what is the manufacture date?

entwisi
Monday 20th October 2008, 15:33
heh, not changed since I bought it ~ 90 K ago so I guess thats a bit of a clue......

IIRC this involves either sucking it out of the filler tube or dropping the box?

its a 97 classic V70, originally a 2.5 LPT but now has a T5 engine mated to original box.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 20th October 2008, 17:21
if u do a search on here think there is a pretty good how to somewheres to follow.i gotta do mine shortly

dicky b t5
Monday 20th October 2008, 19:00
Done my Box oil change last year....Its easy to do, just time consuming.

Follow the Haines how too, thats what i did.

Dick.