PDA

View Full Version : Tried to fit rear brake pads and failed!

Pandamedic
Saturday 18th October 2008, 14:27
Well, printed of the instructions to change the rear brake pads. Looked like a really easy simple job, so thought i'd do it myself.

Everything was going fine. Taking photo's as i went along. Got the old pads out, but then couldn't get one of the new pads in.

Moved the outer piston back easy and popped the pad in there, but no matter what i did, i couldn't get the pad on the inside to go in for some reason.

Not sure if the piston on that side is ment to go in aswell, but it wasn't having it.

Any ideas what is going on there?

Stuck all the old parts back on and the car is stopping well so i dont have to worry about that.

siamblue
Saturday 18th October 2008, 14:58
I replaced mine last Thusday and one of mine stuck, the outer pistons do have a tendency to seize, Both pistons should move freely,

Tribble
Saturday 18th October 2008, 14:59
are new pads the same shape as old ones?

Could be a knackered caliper. I had this probem about 3 months ago.

Pandamedic
Saturday 18th October 2008, 15:00
the outer one moved fine, but the inner one was not moving at all no matter what i tried.

Pandamedic
Saturday 18th October 2008, 15:01
the pads are the correct ones as Si (rufe) sorted them out for me. I did have a problem on the nearside caliper last year when it kept on humming when i was driving. Garage said it was sticking etc and stripped them down and sorted it out for me.

Tribble
Saturday 18th October 2008, 15:08
deffo sounds like the caliper.

probably get recon unit for 30 - 40 quid . plus they are nice n shiny!!!

siamblue
Saturday 18th October 2008, 15:20
When they seize they are a right pITA, Last year we were trying to unsieze a piston and i said sod it use a big bar on it doesn't matter if we break it i can always get another, We actually snapped the piston in the end, thats how much force we used and it still didn't move lol,

pookie
Saturday 18th October 2008, 17:18
There could be a way to release a stuck piston:-

1 Remove old pads.
2 Attempt to push back pistons.
3 Fit new pads to the pistons that can be pushed back
4 Between the siezed piston and disc put a lever that is less thick than the old pad.
5 Get an assistant to pump up the brake and use hydraulic pressure to shift the piston, it won't come out because the lever is in the way. Pump it up, and push it back (Oooerrr ) a few times and that may free it off.

Best of luck

Pookie

splatt
Saturday 18th October 2008, 17:45
Like he said. its the only easy way as the force of the hydraulic system is far more than you can ever apply by hand. :)

Pandamedic
Saturday 18th October 2008, 18:21
cheers for thre info. going to leave it until next week now and then try and have another go.

cegc70t
Saturday 18th October 2008, 21:15
Hey m8! In my past experience in changing rear pads! a few of the calipers on the market have screw type pistons! tehy dont just push in and out but turn as they move! try twisting the piston it may move easier ;-) if not cant help any further m8!