PDA

View Full Version : strange boost increase?

850twr
Friday 17th October 2008, 23:03
hi this is my first post on vpcuk,
i have a 96' 854 t5 with 82k on the clock, have an original btcc full 3" exhaust system and yesterday fitted a forge dump valve, it wasnt untill today that i removed my recirc valve and fitted the blanking plate and since doing so my boost that used to go to 3/4s in to the white now goes all the way to the end and performance has drastically increased??

my dv is hooked up to the inlet manifold and the vacuum tree is untouched, ive check all hoses for possible splits etc and my idle is perfect at around 850rpm and no smoke under boost atall.

does this sound normal or is it something i should be worried about?

any comments/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Nick.

cameron
Friday 17th October 2008, 23:08
Welcome to the forum Nick

I wouldnt be complaining about extra boost :D

just take it easy and Listen out for strange noises

Lee

Tomcat
Friday 17th October 2008, 23:10
Welcome to the forum, why not pop over to the new members section and give us a proper intro.

As for the boost increase, it could possibly be that the original recirc was knackered and leaking.

Niles
Friday 17th October 2008, 23:13
hi & welcome. The recirc cover on my car was a little slack, I was running 14psi, I tightened the 3 bolts & hey presto, after the boost gauge showed 17spi, possible slight air leak from the cover. So, if you took the old recirc valve out, you probably have removed a dodgy leaky diaphragm & now closed that leak. By installing the dump valve I'm sure you tightened it to ensure there are no air leaks. As before, i gained 3psi just by tightening the bolts.
Enjoy the boost!! Happy days!!

850twr
Friday 17th October 2008, 23:20
wow v fast response, thanks for your views and the old recirc valve does look very tired and i think that probably is my answer, and yes loving the higher boost, happy days indeed :D next rica ecu, lol

irf
Saturday 18th October 2008, 02:46
i'd say somethings wrong. you don't say that you have an outside form of boost control, you've only said that the cars got an exhaust and dump valve.

the car should not be hitting what sounds like a bar of boost with those mods.

i'd say to check the hoses going from your boost control solenoid to your turbo.

PNuT
Saturday 18th October 2008, 07:30
i'd say somethings wrong. you don't say that you have an outside form of boost control, you've only said that the cars got an exhaust and dump valve.

the car should not be hitting what sounds like a bar of boost with those mods.

i'd say to check the hoses going from your boost control solenoid to your turbo.

i would agree

Alan M
Saturday 18th October 2008, 10:33
Check the hose going to your actuator. If it is damaged you may be bleeding off air before it and the car may be giving more boost than it should. It may have been damaged somehow when you were fitting the blanking plate. Its most definately not worth leaving as it is if there is a small problem which could result in something bigger further down the line.

PNuT
Saturday 18th October 2008, 10:40
is no one else interested in the exhaust? i thought btcc cars were NA ?

irf
Saturday 18th October 2008, 11:00
is no one else interested in the exhaust? i thought btcc cars were NA ?

they are. yes i did think about the exhaust but didn't want to offend anyone lol.

850twr
Saturday 18th October 2008, 12:26
the hoses down round the bak seem ok but certainly not new, am going to order some length off ebay and replace them, the car was quick anyway and now it feels how would expect a rica 304 to. could this be leading my car to run lean? i have a mixture guage also but have yet to fit it.

the exhaust on the btcc car was na and i have the full system minus the downpipe/decat as these items would not fit will post some vids on youtube at somepoint soon for you.

would u feel its ok to drive the car while i wait to recieve the new piping?

850twr
Saturday 18th October 2008, 12:29
also where is the boost control solenoid located?
thanks. nick.

850twr
Saturday 18th October 2008, 12:47
is it the peice attatched to the side of the airbox?

850twr
Saturday 18th October 2008, 12:49
oh and other thing, my cat used to smell when i drove the car hard but now with this higher boost it doesnt?

irf
Saturday 18th October 2008, 12:54
also where is the boost control solenoid located?
thanks. nick.

is it the peice attatched to the side of the airbox?

thats the one. it'll have three vacuum pipes coming off it on one side and an electrical plug on the other.

dunno about the cat smell, sorry.

850twr
Saturday 18th October 2008, 13:44
have found the problem, pipe was extremely brittle at the actuator end and it did have a small crack on it right at the end, ive replaced it with sum left over tubing from my forge dv kit but the internal diameter did seem smaller, i have ordered some 4mm piping as advised in a previous thread, my car is back to as it was, but has left me craving more boost, lol. anyone used RICA agents in maidstone or tonbridge?

Thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

t5 pete
Saturday 18th October 2008, 18:37
to be truthfull i personally would have the rica i would have the 304 that hamish offers its far cheaper its only £150 where the last time i got a price on rica it was £352 so hamish is far cheeper