PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom Mounting

dave stew
Thursday 16th October 2008, 19:58
I've done a quick search, so apologies if this is already covered!
Last year I clocked a Swedish manufacturer of high quality PDA/sat nav mounts. They do a Volvo specific unit that mounts the sat nav to the air vent but takes the power from the dash - no ugly cigarette lighter leads.

Anyone remember the company that makes them?

Redbrick
Thursday 16th October 2008, 20:36
Brodit from DSL Developments

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

Expensive but bomb proof :)

thebadger
Thursday 16th October 2008, 21:08
Top stuff! I'm having an air vent one for my phone holder!

Every sod that gets in my car hits the one at the side of the aircon panel! It was one of theirs, but high abuse has loosened the 3M stuff!

Gonna go for the airvent one as it will be easier to see too!

kyebosh
Thursday 16th October 2008, 21:12
I've got a Brodit fitted in mine (centre air vent mount), will post some pics up tomorrow if anyone wants to see what they look like.

Redbrick
Thursday 16th October 2008, 21:18
If you want to know how to take the centre air vent out ask me before you start hitting your car with a lump hammer in frustration ;)

Redbrick
Thursday 16th October 2008, 21:37
Brodit junkie!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/apurnell1970/006-1.jpg

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 16th October 2008, 22:51
I've got a brodit N95 holder, got mine from ebay £10 cheaper than the official site.

As said before, they're good quality holders.

I just peeled the sticker off, as it looks crap.

DuncVolvoTurbo
Friday 17th October 2008, 01:24
To All The Guys With The Brodits!

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I have searched and searched, but can't find out how the actual phone/pda/screen holder fits to the "no holes" bracket?

Can you attach any other holder to the bracket other than a Brodit product?

Your help is greatly appreciated

thebadger
Friday 17th October 2008, 01:43
I screwed the thing on to the plate! Drilled holes first!

Easy!

Red, how do you get the centre vents out?? is it hard? Haynes has no answers!

Redbrick
Friday 17th October 2008, 08:48
can't find out how the actual phone/pda/screen holder fits to the "no holes" bracket?
Sharp bradel to make an indentation and then stick the supplied self tappers in.

Can you attach any other holder to the bracket other than a Brodit product?

Don't see why not- the brodit car mount is just a flat piece of plastic 2-3mm thick.

Redbrick
Friday 17th October 2008, 09:03
Red, how do you get the centre vents out?? is it hard? Haynes has no answers!

Arm yourself with a small flat head screwdriver and I used eight two inch lengths of wooden kebab stick.

Its a case of using the small screwdriver to prise up the barbed clips the you can see running along the inside of the vent at the bottom- these clips run along the bottom and the top of the unit- there were eight from memory.

Work your way round prising up a clip and then inserting the length of kebab stick. Once your vent looks like a voodoo doll it can be slid outwards.

Don't worry about dislodging the vent flaps as you can rebuild the whole unit on the kitchen table when its out- just don't break any!

The hazard switch is wired in with a plug at the back- you have to disconnect this to get the whole thing out.

Sounds so simple! Took about an hour the first time and five mins the next time! You can lift the clips easily its just keeping them up is the issue as their natural position is to spring back down and be flush with the surround.

Hope that helps!

kyebosh
Friday 17th October 2008, 09:46

dave stew
Friday 17th October 2008, 10:04
Thanks everyone - I didn't expect such a comprehensive reply!!

thebadger
Tuesday 21st October 2008, 22:42
I decided to try cocktail sticks.... couldn't find them!

Used short oval nails! Worked a treat! Remember that there's a clip (plastic through the dash) on the top corner by the steering wheel!

The in & out is fairly easy as per red's comments but be gentle as you can, once the clip is off (top right) its be careful time!

I've used this opportunity to sort the centre console LED lights....

I'll be updating this in the modifications & tuning section.

Hope I'm going to get my "mount" tomorrow!

Good post this, eh?