PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an S60 D5, what do i need to know?

richiemat
Thursday 16th October 2008, 09:37
Hi All,

I'm looking closely at buying a '55 plate S60 D5 for work at my local dealership. I am very pleased with my '01 V70 T5 which we are keeping as our weekend family car and on face value the S60 looks very similar.

The issues that i am aware of from the V70 were :

1. ETM
2. Front Wishbone bushes

I'm sure there are others but haven't experienced them yet.

Does the S60 have these issues and is there anything specific for the S60 or will it be very similar?

Regards

Rich

cornclose
Thursday 16th October 2008, 10:49
As far as I know the ETM issue only affects certain pre-2002 S60/V70 (and S80).

Jimmie
Thursday 16th October 2008, 10:52
Check your sump for leaks,very expensive repair (38 hrs)

Jaseb77
Thursday 16th October 2008, 11:24
D5 's aren't affected buy the ETM issues (petrol only)

if it is a 55 plate is it a Euro III 163bhp or Euro IV 185 ?
5 speed box or 6 speed box

the older ones are a better on fuel economy.

things to check

Clutch -
Creaks & knocks from front
Hand brake

H.T.H

richiemat
Thursday 16th October 2008, 14:46
thanks guys.

just been to see the car again and spent another hour poking around it. its the Euro IV 185bhp model with the 6 speed box and i was very impressed with the drive.

They are happy to the few body work bits sorted and front wheels refurbed as they have a cpl of light kerb marks on them.

The sump as far as i could see looked dry looking down the cracks in the engine bay, i guess the only way i would see that is either by asking them to remove the lower guard or use a series of mirrors ?

thanks for your help so far :D

my wife is pleased she will now have our T5 full time btw!

richiemat
Saturday 18th October 2008, 21:19
I put my deposit down on Friday and pick it up at the end of next week. Thanks again for the useful posts. The dealer agreed to put the car on a ramp for me in the workshop and remove the engine tray which allowed me to have a proper look at the underside including the sump which was handy.

We're a Volvo family now :)

cornclose
Sunday 19th October 2008, 09:16
Cool.

timbo_1975
Sunday 19th October 2008, 09:36
Sounds like you have found a decent down to earth dealer interested in actually selling a car and satisfying the customer the car is advertised.

The D5 185 is great motor, but bear in mind due to it having a DPF the mpg will be 4-5 down on the non DPF engine, and you do get weird smoke / burning smells / rattley engine noises when it regenerates, which you must be sure to let it do frequently with at least 20mins at motorway speeds (and over 2500rpm- you may need to use 4th or 5th gear) every couple of weeks.

Tim..

richiemat
Sunday 19th October 2008, 18:13
The D5 185 is great motor, but bear in mind due to it having a DPF the mpg will be 4-5 down on the non DPF engine, and you do get weird smoke / burning smells / rattley engine noises when it regenerates, which you must be sure to let it do frequently with at least 20mins at motorway speeds (and over 2500rpm- you may need to use 4th or 5th gear) every couple of weeks.

Tim..

Hi Tim., the dealer has indeed been excellent. What's a dpf and how does it regenerate? :D

timbo_1975
Sunday 19th October 2008, 19:24
For a start, have a read of this:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Tim..

richiemat
Sunday 19th October 2008, 19:28
Thanks, thats something i didnt know :)