PDA

View Full Version : What Oil for my 96 850 T5?

BruceT
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 14:23
10w40?
5w40?

Fully or Part Synthetic?

Car has 128k miles

jez.w
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 15:25
Try and find out if it had fully or semi synthetic oil in it before, check service history or old bills. I know if you put fully synthetic oil in an oldish car which has been running semi you can cause problems with the oil seals as it reacts and will start to breakdown your seals, such as crank shaft oil seals which are very expensive to replace. I dont see the point of changing to fully sythetic oil as these cars are getting old and work fine with good quality standard semi grade. If your car has been running fully sythetic already then stick to that i suspose and dont change back. I use high quality semi 10w40 as this is what is recommended and it has worked well for hundreds of thousands of other high mileage t5's. Main thing is to change oil regularly if you want engine to last and dont use Champion oil filter which Halfords sell as these filters are crap and can leak as what happened to me. If in doubt definitely use semi 10w40.

BruceT
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 16:05
Thanks buddy.

Genuine Volvo Oil Filter here, with new sump plug and gasket.

Just wanted to make sure 10W40 Semi was alright :)

jez.w
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 16:46
No worries

jonno12
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 17:38
10/40 but use castrol

jonno12
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 17:38
ive found cheap ones make the engine knock

cameron
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 17:57
Castrol Magnatech ? 10w 40

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9014098&contentId=7027375

Thats what ive been using.

All depends on the budget you have, like anything else.

Lee

Alan M
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 18:01
I used Castrol magnatec but on advice from a performance engine builder and hill climb racer I am going to go with some Shell Helix super 10w40 I think it was. I'll ring him when I come to order it but apparently it has been performing better in thier race engines than all the others they have tried.

Dan850T5
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 18:57
ive found cheap ones make the engine knock

Yeah i was running Castrol GTX then swapped to Some Mobil and my engine was knocking a bit more than usual, so back on the GTX now

stainesy
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 20:08
Yeah i was running Castrol GTX then swapped to Some Mobil and my engine was knocking a bit more than usual, so back on the GTX now

what do you mean by knock?

Eddy T
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 20:09
I'm also using Castrol Magnatec. Seems to work a treat with these engines. But a the end of the day if your like most people that own T5's you have most probably got a heavy right foot so a few pounds more on some decent oil has got to be worth it.

Alan M
Thursday 16th October 2008, 08:00
Your engine shouldn't knock with different oils, you must have underlying probelms for that to happen. The oils just wont give the same performance as better grades if you go with thinner or cheaper makes.

stainesy
Thursday 16th October 2008, 16:42
i use 5/40 oil from my lcal car shop. isnt a top brand and i dont have any knocking sounds.
what do you mean by knocking sounds? you mean like a tapet ish sound?

Rufe
Thursday 16th October 2008, 17:35
10w 40 semi synthetic is what is listed (castrol magnatec) for this car.

Simon

johntheace
Friday 17th October 2008, 18:02
I read a bad report on magnetec regarding turbo cars...it was a while ago i think if i remember on the migweb forum ? ? ? i use any semi 10/40 and have never has a problem i do seem to be using 1.5 litres a month though ?

Bluefin
Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 00:10
I had been using mobil 1 5w40 for 8years and now at 151k Iv changed over two Motul 10w40 V300 fully synth, with no problems as yet,though its not the cheepest oil out there = £102 for 6 liters,it realy is fabuless stuff, with double ester tecnoligy "meaning to you who dont no" that it stays on all the critical conponents starting from cold,and has fare better hot temp protection "hence minimal viscosity breakdown"

Engine also runs quieter on startup,and takes the same time as the mobil 1 to fully warm up.

Though as already stated.....Dont bother unless you have been using semi in the past,the 10w40 v300 is also abit on the thin size compaird to other same V rated fully synth oils, but to be fair, the v300 is a race oil.