PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Question

mat562be
Sunday 1st May 2005, 00:29
How long is the avewrage lifespan for a Volvo clutch? I have a 2000 V70N T5 manual which has 80000 on the clock, and is still on it's first clutch. The car has recently been modified with a BSR 300bhp upgrade, but has been driven relatively steadily for it's life to date (pretty quickly, but no clutch abuse.)

When is a new 'un likely to be on the cards?

Thanks for any replies.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 1st May 2005, 00:35
Lance has just replaced his @ 146k miles. He runs RICA 310 upgrade!

It will ultimately boil down to if you are kind to your clutch.

BTW my automatic box lasted that long too.

siamblue
Sunday 1st May 2005, 09:55
Mines a manual and at 130k clutch was replaced and gearbox rebuilt,Then Rica added.

lance
Monday 2nd May 2005, 13:03
Im sure I would have got more out of the clutch if I hadnt draged raced her!
I would say average is around 120-150k from what Ive gathered which is very good as many a lesser car will strugle to last 50k

spesh
Monday 2nd May 2005, 14:05
Has anybody ever had a paddle clutch fitted, as i'm thinking of getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUDGENINJA
Monday 2nd May 2005, 16:37
Has anybody ever had a paddle clutch fitted, as i'm thinking of getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NUTTER..!!!!! :haha:

I've just had a look through all the documentation for mine and there has been no cluctch change so far and I'm on 170K...I'm starting to think that it maybe due for a change now...I think that's pretty good value for money..even if the clutch costs £120+ not including fitting...

mat562be
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 19:43
Thanks guys.

Mine's 78k and counting, so it should have some life left in it yet. 170k is phenomenal.

Incidentally, a salesman at my local Volly dealer has told me of a customer car, which they regularly service, which seems destined to live forever.

This guy runs a 1996 850 estate T5 which now has, wait for it, 435000 miles on it. It is relgiously serviced by the main dealer, with DIY interim oil changes every 3000 miles, and sees mostly sales rep-esque motorway cruising. The guy also looks after it, polishing it monthly etc. It has the original engine and gearbox, both of which are sweet as a nut, and is now on it's third clutch. The interior has lasted well, being velour, and this guy still runs it, apparently thinking it's not worth selling it whilever it does the job.

How's that for an advert for Volvo durability?

Mind you, my mate had a Rover 820, and after 80,000 miles that was... No hang on. I'm wrong. It fell to bits...