PDA

View Full Version : Rattling sunroof

Sveneng
Monday 13th October 2008, 17:28
The sunroof on my C70 has a rattle on it that is noticeable when moving with the sunroof closed. I finally got round to having a look at it yesterday and it appears to be caused by vertical travel of the sunroof glass on the unhinged side (rear of sunroof). There is only a couple of milimeters of travel but it is enough to cause this annoying fault. Is it a common fault and is there a fix to cure it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sveneng

marwen
Monday 13th October 2008, 20:03
I have exactly the same thing on MY99 V70R, shutting the roller blind helps but most of the time i have it on tilt!!!
Would be interesting to see if its a common problem though?

pangster
Monday 13th October 2008, 20:05
The sunroof on my C70 has a rattle on it that is noticeable when moving with the sunroof closed. I finally got round to having a look at it yesterday and it appears to be caused by vertical travel of the sunroof glass on the unhinged side (rear of sunroof). There is only a couple of milimeters of travel but it is enough to cause this annoying fault. Is it a common fault and is there a fix to cure it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sveneng

i'm pretty sure I read a while ago that you vent the roof and take the plastic trim/strip off either side and tighten the Phillips screws on the side (not too tight or you'll strip the threads)..

dionbullock
Monday 13th October 2008, 20:16
this happens on my 98 c70 aswel!!! doesnt leak or anything, just really annoying!!

Sveneng
Monday 13th October 2008, 20:49
I also tend to drive with the roller blind closed as this does stop most of the noise but I like to use the sunroof to let in some light. I will look at the trim at the weekend (if I get time) and see if I can find the screws and give them a turn.

Sveneng

Jaseb77
Thursday 16th October 2008, 11:18
mines rattles too, and a black metal strip which was glued to the glass has fallen off.

I have had to remove the blind as it was getting stuck and wouldn't allow the sunroof to close, which is a problem in "sunny" Scotland

i have a couple of bits of black dense foam propping the sunroof up to deaden the rattles, but it is a P.I.T.A.

I am keen to sort it so lets see if tightening the screws helps

70fan
Sunday 14th December 2008, 21:58
Has anyone tried tightening the screws to stop the rattle? Did it work?

I bought a c70 today and surprise surprise, the sunroof rattles.

I may try this tomorrow and see if it helps.

Sveneng
Thursday 18th December 2008, 19:53
I have still to try it and see if it fixes the rattle. I've got some time off now so will give it a go, I was driving yesterday and the rattle reminded me it is a job I still need to do!

Happygilmore78
Monday 19th January 2009, 23:38
I tried this, and it does work - for about 3/4 months, then the screws seem to loosen again, but never as bad as it was - i suppose its not that much of a pain to re-tighten them every few months.

But worked for me

jdavis
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 00:27
I tried this, and it does work - for about 3/4 months, then the screws seem to loosen again, but never as bad as it was - i suppose its not that much of a pain to re-tighten them every few months.

But worked for me

is it not possible to take the screws out and try some loctite or similar?

Rufe
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 10:06
I admit i have never heard of this one myself, but checked the volvo technical journal database and came up with this:

"DESCRIPTION:
1163 / Sunroof motor excessive rattle on X70 cars
- Excessive rattling noise from sun roof.
The problem is sometimes solved when remove/reinstalling the motor, but in some cases the motor needs to be replaced."

Not sure if thats going to be any use but you never know.

Simon

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 10:39
Hmmm, i dont know - i didnt want to take them out as knowing my luck it would all separate and i wouldnt be able to find and match the holes again, but probably a good idea.

I dont know about the motor, but when i tightened those 4 screws the rattle definately went. I also levelled my roof off as it sat lower before.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 10:50
No-one has mentioned using a drop of locktight to stop them coming loose again?

Rufe
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 10:53
No-one has mentioned using a drop of locktight to stop them coming loose again?

yes jdavis did above dave

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 11:19
Then it looks like I mentioned it again - LOL :P

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 20th January 2009, 11:52
I just dont want to lose the holes to put them back in again, thats my luck you see :-(

jdavis
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 11:15
I just dont want to lose the holes to put them back in again, thats my luck you see :-(

just take one out at a time, it shouldn't move then

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 21st January 2009, 12:17
True, i may try it when it starts again, at the moment its quiet