PDA

View Full Version : 850 Won't Start after Timing Belt Replacement

xsubzeroz
Saturday 30th April 2005, 16:24
Please help! I've changed timing belt on 1994 Volvo 850 non turbo and now car will not start. I've followed all steps with aligning belt and belt tensioner but the engine just turning over and won't start. Sometimes it sounds like it almost starts but then just keep turning over. I've replaced spark plugs and fuel filter. Don't know what to do next. Please HELP! Thank you.

Goof
Saturday 30th April 2005, 18:53
If it was ok before, then it sounds like the timing is all out - re-check the pully positions again and let us know.
Good luck.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:12
May want to start stage by stage You said that you've replaced you cambelt,fuel filter, and sparkplugs.....

1. ) double check timing. check that you are not 180 degrees out on you cam to crankshaft...ckeck that you've reconnected all the pipework around the cambelt cover.....worst case, you may need to recheck compression

2. ) Pull the end off your fuel filter. point the pipe away from you. Switch it on or crank it over, fuel should fly about 12ft - this proves that you're getting fuel to the system..

3. ) Recheck your spark plugs. Did you pull off the dizzy cap..? Did you pull off the leads.... check around the basics......

I'm sure that you'll figure it out....

xsubzeroz
Thursday 30th June 2005, 12:55
Thank you guys for your suggestions. I've look closely at my timing belt settings and noticed that intake camshaft had two sets of marks. There were two small scribes on camshaft pulley and about 25° there was another single scribe that I didn't noticed. I was aligning double marks and that's why I couldn't start car. Soon as I noticed single scribe mark, I've set timing to that and CAR STARTED. Thanks again.