PDA

View Full Version : REALLY annoying knocks...HELP!

DaveS60D5
Sunday 12th October 2008, 21:48
Hi folks, hope you can shed some light on usual culprits please... if there are any:

My motor, a 51 plate S60 D5 has at least 2 really annoying knocks:

The first *sounds like* it is somewhere underneath the engine or by the suspension on the drivers side front... having had two mechanics get it up on their ramps and take a look they cannot locate an obvious bush that has gone near the o/s/f wheel - they've checked all the bushes in the lower arm / wishbone (recently changed - knock still there!! :( ) and those bushes in the drop link and track rod end - all look ok.. the top suspension mount bushes look ok on both sides too.... it's not a huge-milk-bottles-banging-together type knock but and it seems to be more prevalent when going down a normal road over small and regular bumps in the road, it's not like it only happens when you go over potholes.

There is another one at the n/s/r which is very similar. The car had an almost identical one when I bought it and I had both rear suspension struts changed and it stopped. As I only had these done in Feb'08 I'd screw if it was the same problem again!! Surely not?!!?!

Does anyone have any clues? Perhaps these are regular faults on these cars?

Cheers Guys for any help.

mikej
Sunday 12th October 2008, 22:32
Had this several times and for me its always been the bloody top mounts , can't see or feel any play at all but sure as eggs replacing top mount has cured mine . As you say more noticable over rough roads or small bumps , my last one i even sat on the wing with bonnet up and my ear next to the mount top while the wife drove very slowly over rough ground lol....

volvokid
Sunday 12th October 2008, 22:36
Had this several times and for me its always been the bloody top mounts , can't see or feel any play at all but sure as eggs replacing top mount has cured mine . As you say more noticable over rough roads or small bumps , my last one i even sat on the wing with bonnet up and my ear next to the mount top while the wife drove very slowly over rough ground lol....

I wish i saw that lol

DaveS60D5
Sunday 12th October 2008, 22:46

As I feared mate... Thank you. Obviously to change it the strut et al has all got to come off has it not? How much to change it labour-wise is fair? I've found some on ebay for £18 plus £3.50 postage.. reckon it's any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260282385329

Also found one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S60-S80-FRONT-SUSPENSION-TOP-MOUNTING-NEW_W0QQitemZ230228704893QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 30228704893&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Rear ones here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380068599971

Again, any good?

Thanks again!

mikej
Monday 13th October 2008, 09:26
QUOTE I wish i saw that lol , I was only going about 5mph mind although i could see it in her eye she wanted to floor it lol..
I personally bought mine from eurocar parts and never had any issues with their parts at all ( not expensive ) although i would be careful were you buy them as its a pig to do yourself and theres now't worse than having to do it again due to crap quality parts .
mike....
p.s Sorry mate forgot , Price up new drop links first and change them as their alot easier than the top mounts to do and again a really common issue with the same symptoms , struts if you go for it should come out really as its so much easier , you prob could do it in situ with some good spring clamps but i wouldn't like to give it ago personally.

Alan M
Monday 13th October 2008, 10:34
The front of mine had an anoying knock for about a year and I replaced absolutely everything I could at the front. In the end it turned out to be the Timing belt side engine mount. You couldn't see it was worn till it was removed as the rubber had deformed under the weight of the engine over the years.

thebadger
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 01:05
I replaced both my droplinks, took away a nasty inconsistent knock from the front lower engine area!

I got 2 off fleabay, £20 delivered! Bargain! If I need to do it again, I have the knowledge & the budget!

RT MECHANICS
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 06:53
Hi folks, hope you can shed some light on usual culprits please... if there are any:

My motor, a 51 plate S60 D5 has at least 2 really annoying knocks:

The first *sounds like* it is somewhere underneath the engine or by the suspension on the drivers side front... having had two mechanics get it up on their ramps and take a look they cannot locate an obvious bush that has gone near the o/s/f wheel - they've checked all the bushes in the lower arm / wishbone (recently changed - knock still there!! :( ) and those bushes in the drop link and track rod end - all look ok.. the top suspension mount bushes look ok on both sides too.... it's not a huge-milk-bottles-banging-together type knock but and it seems to be more prevalent when going down a normal road over small and regular bumps in the road, it's not like it only happens when you go over potholes.

There is another one at the n/s/r which is very similar. The car had an almost identical one when I bought it and I had both rear suspension struts changed and it stopped. As I only had these done in Feb'08 I'd screw if it was the same problem again!! Surely not?!!?!

Does anyone have any clues? Perhaps these are regular faults on these cars?

Cheers Guys for any help.

It sounds like its the front shocks if you take them out and strip them down put the shock in a vice and see if there is sideways play in the shock body ???

Russ

dave stew
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 13:59
Yes, agreed. A P2 V70 was in for a similar thing at my friend's garage. The strut inserts were doing exactly that.