PDA

View Full Version : Help needed!!! Tried hitting it with a hammer....

marwen
Sunday 12th October 2008, 19:38
Right, ive bought the new downpipe/cat for the 'R', have managed to unbolt old one from turbo and remove O2 sensors and rubber mountings but how the hell do I seperate the cat pipe from the rear section pipe?
Have removed the clamp around the join and I mistakenly thought that a bit of persuasion with a lump hammer would do the trick. Its almost as if there is something in between both pipes connecting them.
Your knowledge is most appeciated, again!!

Thanks, Mark.

Tomcat
Sunday 12th October 2008, 19:40
Plenty of WD40 usually does the trick.

t5 pete
Sunday 12th October 2008, 19:50
thats true i use plus gas just try to shock it loose or heat it up if possible

stephenevans99
Sunday 12th October 2008, 19:59
Try not to hit anywhere near the cat too hard as you will damage the cat's internals....so I'm told !!!

siamblue
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:00
The cat is fubarred anyway lol, IIRC it should just come apart at the clamp,

Gary

marwen
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:16
Cheers chaps, so am i right in thinking there is just an 'O' ring between cat and rear pipe or is there a small pipe in between them?

Mark.

stephenevans99
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:28
The cat is fubarred anyway lol,

lol.....smack it with the biggest hammer and a block of wood - hit it as hard as you can !!!

PNuT
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:30
The cat is fubarred anyway lol, IIRC it should just come apart at the clamp,

Gary

erm....

my moneys on its fine

stephenevans99
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:37
The cat is fubarred anyway lol
Hit it like there's no tomorrow !!!

erm....

my moneys on its fine Tap it gently !!!

Glad to be of help !!!!!

PNuT
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:50
Hit it like there's no tomorrow !!!

Tap it gently !!!

Glad to be of help !!!!!

im only going by this..... http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17831

changing this & that?

my guess is the code would help!

cegc70t
Monday 13th October 2008, 19:32
I would recommend taking heat to it!!! Blow Torch a Mallet and a bit of persuasion! If all else fails heat, Mallet and a cold chisel!!!!

marwen
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 20:01
Ok, last question, on the exhaust matter anyway, have finally fitted new downpipe/cat. Thank god the new angled flange was slightly smaller than the original Volvo one, as it was a nightmare to get past the anti roll bar, rear sub-frame etc...

After smearing a small amount of gasket seal around the front and rear pipe section joint, then taking the gasket seal back to the shop where the MUPPET told me it was exhaust paste and exchanging it for exhaust paste.

I am now ready to fire the old girl up and let her idle for 10mins as per instructions.

Fire her up, sounds ok, no blowing but alot of smoke from around the turbo/exhaust joint and out of the tailpipes. the smoke out of the tailpipes dies away after about five minutes but the smoke from the engine bay is still there and smells rather hot.

So is this normal for a new downpipe/cat? Have driven the car for a couple of miles gently and all seems well, just the smell of something hot from under the bonnet.

Thanks again,

Mark.

mike k
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 22:50
hi mark, new cats normally smell and smoke a bit at first. can be whare you have put hand prints on the outside. and they can smell hot for a good few miles. they say your not suposed to use any sealing compound or exhaust paste in front of the cat, but as long as its only a bit that will be ok, i have had to use ultra heat proof gasket sealant in front of cats before with no problems, hope your light stays out now. cheers mike.
________
Web shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

marwen
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 09:55
Thanks for that Mike,

Yes the instructions with the exhaust said not to put any paste/sealant before cat so havent.

I hope light stays out too!!!

Mark.