PDA

View Full Version : OBD1 vs OBD II on 850

The Flying Banana
Sunday 12th October 2008, 13:15
Is it safe to say that the ecu's from each car will safely work in each car. I have a T5R which is OBD I ( diagnostic port behind front RH light ) and a Volvo T5 which is OBD II ( port under ash tray in console ). Both cars are manual with air con. Can each one run with each ECU if swapped over ?

Tomcat
Sunday 12th October 2008, 15:25
I've never heard this being brought up before so I don't see why not.

Alan M
Sunday 12th October 2008, 16:47
Yes they will.

The Flying Banana
Sunday 12th October 2008, 17:14
I have been told the later wont start the car and its down to the immobiliser set up, have tried them and this seems the case, my T5R wont start using the later ECU !!!

Edit on this ...it wasnt me who tried so this will be my next port of call to see for myself !)

Tomcat
Sunday 12th October 2008, 17:46
Can you not just swap the alarm systems over as well??, or is it down to the chipped key?.

shaun850
Sunday 12th October 2008, 18:00
OBDII wont work in a OBDI car, will work the other way round though!

Alan M
Sunday 12th October 2008, 18:44
I know my ecu worked in a friends early 95 model and mine is a 96 and the later type. Must have been a one off?

The Flying Banana
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:35
Not looking good here !! OK , will it do any harm to a bog standard car if i put the ECU that has been mapped to a 19t ( granted it wont run well but it should start it ..yes ?) and vice versa ?

The Flying Banana
Monday 13th October 2008, 10:49
Been out and swapped over, both have now started but ECU's have different ids on them. The 'modified' ECU is a bosch 4.3. The standard ECU from the T-5R has A5.2 on it? Would it be OK to think that all is OK or could i run into trouble once i start to drive it?

Immobilisers issue doesnt seem to be evident as both cars have different types and both operate as they should .