PDA

View Full Version : mot fail

stevie69
Saturday 11th October 2008, 18:02
hi guys.my car failed its mot today on the abs light being on and the bushes on the driverside wishbone.i see wishbones on ebay but im not sure what to get.and i could do with an abs ecu.any help would be appreciated.

t5 pete
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:01
your abs light might just be due to a faulty sensor and kust get a wish bone for a volvo 850 parts for volvos sell them
I would also replace both wish bones bacause if one has perrished the other one wont be far behing also get a pair of new linkage rods there not expensive

stevie69
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:15
both my wishbones were replaced for lastyears mot so im a bit miffed ones fkd.got my fault codes read a whileago and it was some sort of pump prob.

PNuT
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:16
what year is your car?

stevie69
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:34
its a 96

PNuT
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:38
its a 96

you will need to find out which abs system was fitted to your car, i guess it will be the later system which will probably be a abs control unit fault itself..... if its the earlier system then i have no idea....

stevie69
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:44
its the one that needs resoldering but icant be doing with the hassle so ill replace the whole thing.im not much cop with computers so was wondering if anyone could post a link for a drivers side wishbone?the last 2 cost me 100 quid a side.

Loz1
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:45
hi guys.my car failed its mot today on the abs light being on and the bushes on the driverside wishbone.i see wishbones on ebay but im not sure what to get.and i could do with an abs ecu.any help would be appreciated.

My abs light was coming on intermitently which in turn meant the brakes wasn't working as they should. I got a ABS unit complete with pump (without TRACS), fully tested off ebay for £50 plus £8.00 P&P. No sure i can give you the name of the seller, but i will if someone informs me otherwise.
Now, no ABS light and brakes work as they should.
I've seen this link on the forum as well for a repair to the ABS unit should you wish to repair it yourself
http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/absrepair.htm.
Hope this helps

stevie69
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:48
cheers.thats what im after ..no tracs.was it easy to fit?

PNuT
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:49
its the one that needs resoldering but icant be doing with the hassle so ill replace the whole thing.im not much cop with computers so was wondering if anyone could post a link for a drivers side wishbone?the last 2 cost me 100 quid a side.

i assume the inner bushes have gone? why not replace them with powerflex ones?

Loz1
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:57
cheers.thats what im after ..no tracs.was it easy to fit?

Doddle. Just don't do it when the engine is hot........hot engine = burn knuckles = lots of swearing. You will need a E5 TX-Star” or “E5 TW-E” Socket (easy enough to get from halford, motoquid etc). Its a straight swap although i only used the abs unit itself and not the pump (pump was working fine itself). Best, i discovered, was to remove the airbox completely so you have enough room to undo the torx bolts/screws. But as i said, a doddle to fit.

stevie69
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:57
mmm seen them.is that not a big job?dont they need pressed in?i dont really want to be spending a fortune on it.

Alan M
Saturday 11th October 2008, 20:39
Powerflex bushes for your lower arms and repair your ABS controller. I have done both to my car and all the work can be done in a couple of hours, its not hard.

stevie69
Saturday 11th October 2008, 20:58
do you reckon a manual and a hammer will do the bushes or is there a knack to it?

badger1980
Saturday 11th October 2008, 22:43
a g clamp and some wd should do the bushes