PDA

View Full Version : Driving an Auto!!!!

Loz1
Saturday 11th October 2008, 17:21
Is there a knack to driving an 850 t5 auto estate down the twisties (live in North Wales so we have a few....always had manuals). Acceleration is fine but braking before the corners then easing the power through and then full on seems to upset the car alot (plus makes me look like a complete amature when anyone else is following). Can you drag the brake into the corners whilst still on the accelerator.

Don't won't to start adding bolt on goodies if this isn't going to me a more involving drive. Or shall i just go back to manuals.
If any of you are wondering, i bought a auto because i am getting too small for my weight and lazy, but beginning to regret it.

neevo
Saturday 11th October 2008, 17:38
havent driven a Volvo auto but many others so this is based on them:

Take it out of auto and use the gears manually, this will give a much better response and if you overcook a gear it should override you and hence be safe. If it has a sports setting try that too. I've had lots of fun around Yorks backroads in autos :D (all within the legal limits in case a couple of plods are on here :D)

Loz1
Saturday 11th October 2008, 18:00
havent driven a Volvo auto but many others so this is based on them:

Take it out of auto and use the gears manually, this will give a much better response and if you overcook a gear it should override you and hence be safe. If it has a sports setting try that too. I've had lots of fun around Yorks backroads in autos :D (all within the legal limits in case a couple of plods are on here :D)

Could you be a bit more specific. "Take it out of Auto and use the gears manuallly". Looking down on the controls, i have as follows from the top : P, R, N, D, 3, and L and no other controls. I do however have a economy/sports mode swith which is on constant Sport mode

neevo
Saturday 11th October 2008, 18:09
ah not much choice then. Try 3 for the backroads and even around town. I think L may not be much use in your case but I think 3 may give you a bit of what you are after

Loz1
Saturday 11th October 2008, 18:32
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. Wondering what the 3 was for. Will try this weekend (weather permiting).

aeroresh
Saturday 11th October 2008, 18:44
Same rules apply to driving a manual really. You need to balance the car through the corner on the throttle (ie dont accelerate or decelerate). If its in too higher a gear, manually change down before you go into the corner.

You can actually blip the throttle on the 850 auto between down changes too which smoothes things up no end.

PNuT
Saturday 11th October 2008, 19:45
stick it in L

cookie
Saturday 11th October 2008, 20:52
Sports Mode and Left foot breaking

+ decent tyres and suspension (vastly reduces need to slow down in first place)

Loz1
Saturday 11th October 2008, 20:57
stick it in L

i thought "L" was for low ration ie, hill descent or incline

BigV
Saturday 11th October 2008, 21:03
I find it is hard to get these cars to accelerate out of a bend or corner without either getting no response at all or lighting up the front tyres and under-steering into a ditch.......... It is very difficult to do smoothly in sport mode without locking out the gears manually with L or 3 / 2 (whatever options you one has)

I think generally they don't like to be rushed through the bends.

I'm going to get a strut brace for my C70 as I did note an improvement on my 850 when I had the strut brace......... Might be worth you investing £80 in one, if it turns in a bit tighter then there is less need to slow down in the first place?

Loz1
Saturday 11th October 2008, 21:07
Sports Mode and Left foot breaking

+ decent tyres and suspension (vastly reduces need to slow down in first place)

Can you recommend a suspension upgrade. Seems to be alot around but some manufacturers seem to be a bit vague (especially for the self leveling suspension at the rear). I do have a front and rear strut brace and michellin primacy tyres all round.

PNuT
Sunday 12th October 2008, 05:43
i thought "L" was for low ration ie, hill descent or incline

it will drop in to the lowest gear it can safely use.....

Babybadger
Sunday 12th October 2008, 20:53
move it into L above 30mph will keep it in 2nd and take it up to about 90ish, put it in 3 and it will keep it in 3rd up to 'very fast speeds' .

Be warned as soon as it goes below 30mph it will lurch into 1st (not dangerous) but be prepared to have foot of throttle, AS IT WILL BE CARRYING ABOUT 5000RPM

cookie
Sunday 12th October 2008, 21:34
move it into L above 30mph will keep it in 2nd and take it up to about 90ish, put it in 3 and it will keep it in 3rd up to 'very fast speeds' .

Be warned as soon as it goes below 30mph it will lurch into 1st (not dangerous) but be prepared to have foot of throttle, AS IT WILL BE CARRYING ABOUT 5000RPM

Is that gonna cook the gearbox fluid???

I Have Koni adjustables, which vastly improved handling and reduce need to slow as much in corners, and find left foot breaking (then as lifting off, make sure revs are above 2500 then plant Right foot as coming out of bend, and gearbox should sort rest, and redline happily

Rob_ioClean
Sunday 12th October 2008, 22:08
might be worth looking at a cooler for the gearbox

volvokid
Sunday 12th October 2008, 22:22
Yeah as everyone else has said you have to left foot brake these things I find it easy as muck with the auto. Just work between L and 3 if using L be prepared to switch to 3 a few moments before you’re in your red or the car will bounce the limiter and slow you down. These auto boxes are using old technology nowadays and aren’t as responsive as more modern tiptronic boxes even Volvo’s modern tiptronic box isn’t the quickest of things you just have to learn the box. The twist’s will always be a bit more challenging and no matter what anyone says you wont have the same control in these autos compared to the manuals when your going round the twisty bits.

Babybadger
Monday 13th October 2008, 09:38
Is that gonna cook the gearbox fluid???

I Have Koni adjustables, which vastly improved handling and reduce need to slow as much in corners, and find left foot breaking (then as lifting off, make sure revs are above 2500 then plant Right foot as coming out of bend, and gearbox should sort rest, and redline happily

I would have thought the two main things that cook the box would be : -

1. Repeated Redlining ......
2. launching control, start with foot on brake and accelerator in drive , set revs, then release the brake. I think wobbly dave did a box in doing that ....

If you are going to drive on the limit all the time, I would suggest reading the sticky on autobox additional coolers, or change the ATF regularly.....

jez.w
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 18:38
I dont think any of that advise about left foot braking is a good idea, or manually shifting to rev out or hold each gear. You can get high boost spikes doing manual shifting in an auto and for little gain and i wouldnt do it too often. Whats wrong with sports mode? Just put it in sport mode and just use your driving skill to be smooth in and out of bends with the power. If you use the brake to hold back power you will soon ruin your autobox and break your torque converter. I have read some posts of people who hold their auto on the brake while holding high revs and then release the brake to get a good pull away on tract days and 1/4 miles etc, this will kill your autobox.

Loz1
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 20:18
I dont think any of that advise about left foot braking is a good idea, or manually shifting to rev out or hold each gear. You can get high boost spikes doing manual shifting in an auto and for little gain and i wouldnt do it too often. Whats wrong with sports mode? Just put it in sport mode and just use your driving skill to be smooth in and out of bends with the power. If you use the brake to hold back power you will soon ruin your autobox and break your torque converter. I have read some posts of people who hold their auto on the brake while holding high revs and then release the brake to get a good pull away on tract days and 1/4 miles etc, this will kill your autobox.

I think my problem is that i'm still trying to drive as i do on a bike (ie slow in, fast out). Brakes and acceleration are far better on a bike but a car is far more forgiving when things go wrong.
Good news though, a friend at work seems keen to buy my car, so if all goes well, i should have money to start again with a manual.
Thanks to everyone how replied

BigV
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 21:30
I guess some people just don't get on with autos?

Personally I think you are crazy, I would never go back to a manual unless I absolutely had to...........I mean really, how often do you drive around 'twisty bits', and when that rare occasion does happen there is probably some prat in a volvo towing a caravan holding everyone up anyway............

y2blade
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 22:36
i have no problems with mine, i leave it in sport mode all the time.....i'll gladly show the the way next time i'm attacking the A40 in it :D

Torch S70R
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 00:00
left foot braking all the way, i use my left foot even when im driving manual cars
it can help balance the car thru the corners whilst still on the throttle (dont believe me? read chris harris's video over on autocar with the focus rs)
you can get more progressive braking with your left foot as well altho it does take a bit of practice but the force is there when you need it :D

jez.w
Wednesday 15th October 2008, 09:36
For day to day fast driving, auto all the way for the T5. For track days etc or 1/4 runs manual is going to be better suited. I had a manual 850 before my auto 850, the manual was great but the auto is really quick on the staights and effortless quick kick down for overtaking. You have that low down grunt and it pulls through the gears without the boost dropping off, it really suits the t5 engine i think. I agree that auto is at a slight disadvantage for fast pull aways from standing start and it does have a slightly higher mpg. But auto makes up for it with longer gears and a faster gear change. I cant see how a similarly tuned auto is any slower than a manual on straightish roads, if anything i would think the auto would be a bit quicker once it is off the mark. Auto's have higher power losses through the transmission than manual but this doesnt seem to effect too much and i actually get low 30's mpg if careful and low 20's mpg if i boot it, so fuel consumpsion doesnt seem that bad.

Babybadger
Friday 24th October 2008, 03:33
The Auto is a lot better alround especially if lots of cruising on the motorway and around town driving. Manual, I find the clutch too heavy around town, yes its quicker and more controllable, and its marginally better on fuel, but if fuel economy is your worry, then go for a D5 V70, lots on this forum have.....

If you want a sports car, why do you want a Volvo? If you want a practical car , low key, and suprises lots of people, and carries a large load, then get a Volvo. Personally, I will only chop mine in for a Jeep or Range Rover, and then I will change my mind last minute and keep it. Show me another car that is this reliable and strong and good value, and I will argue for the Volvo....