PDA

View Full Version : need new clutch

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:00
ok guys my cluthch has been playing up for a while now. im not sure when it was last done either. the car has covered 135k and i think its possibly the original clutch as there are no signs of it being removed before.

i have started to get clutch slip when im in 4th and putting my foot down!

the other prob is when driving in traffic, i put the clutch down and its making a kind of grinding noise. but then as soon as i get on the open road again and going up and down throu the gears it goes away. (dry plates me thinks)

garage quoted me £225 +vat for the labour as the book lists 7hrs to do.
they also quoted me £190 inc Vat for the clutch kit.

is this about right????

t5 pete
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:06
If i was you i would buy the clutch my self and let them fit it at that price i think that price is a very good one there a rite ball ake to do

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:12
ok then so does the diesel clutch fit?? as by rights it should be able to handle as much torque or even more than the normal 1??????????????

also what make of clutch should i go for? sasch maybe???

Tomcat
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:13
That's a damn good price, I was quoted 12 hours at £35 an hour to change my clutch and the rear main seal. Cost me £350(plus £200 for the clutch), I now have clutch judder and a knocking from underneath.

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:16
it hought the labour price was quite reasonable and i trust the garage to do the job well, as they also do work on my van.

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:23
would this be good then????

ebay Item number: 350101489077

Rufe
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:32
Would you like a price for genuine volvo clutch kit from me?

simon :)

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:35

Yes please simon and also the cost of postage
many thanks

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:36

so does the diesel clutch fit??

cameron
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:40
Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

It looks ok BUT its in the States

What if something goes wrong, you have to wait on it going back to the supplier, then for a replacement to come back, maybe a long 2 weeks.

The price is pretty good though!

$225 = £132 + $49 = £28 = £160 delivered

Personaly id PM Rufe ( Simon )

HTH Lee

cameron
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:41
God Damn beaten to it again!!!!!

LOL

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:43
Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

It looks ok BUT its in the States

What if something goes wrong, you have to wait on it going back to the supplier, then for a replacement to come back, maybe a long 2 weeks.

The price is pretty good though!

$225 = £132 + $49 = £28 = £160 delivered

Personaly id PM Rufe ( Simon )

HTH Lee

the car only gets used at the weekend as i do all my running around in my work van. or the my missus crapy 94astra. so a couple of weeks not having the car would mean saving fuel for when its sorted.

cameron
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:46
Genuine Volvo may be more expensive BUT

You know its gonna be top quality and will last years!

You could go through 2 or 3 "cheaper" clutches by then.

Lee

Rufe
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:46
CLUTCH KIT, Inc BEARING: (For 850 2.3 T5 up to 1996)
P/n: 271810 & 9181780
Retail Price: £276.95 inc vat
Our Price: £202.17 inc vat, plus delivery
Delivery: £8.00 DHL
Availability: Will be in stock and sent out the next day after ordering if ordered by 4:30pm weekdays

As for the diesel clutch, i have no idea if it fits. obviously the diesel clutch has a different part number to yours, so as far as i am concerned its different, and thats all i can get from my info. i would say though as the fly wheel is different too they probably wont fit. i suppose you would need to find out the number of splines on both types of clutch (in the centre where it sits onto the shaft) for starters, but even then its not going to be decisive. the only way you will know for sure if someone can say they have done it i suppose, or if someone had both types in stock maybe a visual check over them to see if they look exact same dimensions, splines, etc, but we order in specifically so i cant even do this. If i was to put a technical report into volvo they would probably ignore that one, or fob me off with a straight 'no'.

Simon

cameron
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:48
£74 saving

BARGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:49
Genuine Volvo may be more expensive BUT

You know its gonna be top quality and will last years!

You could go through 2 or 3 "cheaper" clutches by then.

Lee

this is very true, but the car only does a maximum of 6k a year. so i would like to think even a cheaper 1 would last for a while.

i will see what simon comes up with thou

Tomcat
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:50
Got mine from Rufe it's awesome(apart from the clutch judder, but that's not his fault)....

cameron
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:52
Maybe so but a genuine Volvo Clutch and next day delivery or Sachs Clutch and 2 weeks delivery!

It all depends on how rich your feeling at the time, but the clutch is one of if not the most important part after the engine, in my mind anyway!

I'd stick to genuine myself, maybe an extra £40 odd quid but you'll probably have it next day, and it'll last longer.

And no i dont work for Volvo, LOL

Lee

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:55
CLUTCH KIT, Inc BEARING: (For 850 2.3 T5 up to 1996)
P/n: 271810 & 9181780
Retail Price: £276.95 inc vat
Our Price: £202.17 inc vat, plus delivery
Delivery: £8.00 DHL
Availability: Will be in stock and sent out the next day after ordering if ordered by 4:30pm weekdays

As for the diesel clutch, i have no idea if it fits. obviously the diesel clutch has a different part number to yours, so as far as i am concerned its different, and thats all i can get from my info. i would say though as the fly wheel is different too they probably wont fit. i suppose you would need to find out the number of splines on both types of clutch (in the centre where it sits onto the shaft) for starters, but even then its not going to be decisive. the only way you will know for sure if someone can say they have done it i suppose, or if someone had both types in stock maybe a visual check over them to see if they look exact same dimensions, splines, etc, but we order in specifically so i cant even do this. If i was to put a technical report into volvo they would probably ignore that one, or fob me off with a straight 'no'.

Simon

i know what you mean about some of the people at volvo, as i asked them about a pair of caliper carriers for the brake upgrade and the guy wasnt really happy giving me a price as my t-5 shouldnt have that size brakes.

the price is very reasonable thou. i will be in touch if i need the kit.
cheers
Dan

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 22:58
im sure we can make you a cv for a job at volvo thou. lol

t5 pete
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:01
Get the volvo clutch you cant beat having the beat parts on your car also tomcat why do you get clutch judder???? release bearing?

Tomcat
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:02
Haven't a clue, the whole clutch( including release bearing) was replaced, it's been back in twice and they can't find anything wrong( not sure they're looking to be honest). I also have a clunk from the front end.

t5 pete
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:09
i bought a volvo 240 which had a new clutch fitted but had a really bad judder and a clunking noise when i strippd the car and had a look at the clutch some idiot had fitted the release bearing the wrong way around its worth checking

Tomcat
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:12
Crap, not sure how to check it though without dismantling the car again.

t5 pete
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:16
Thats true it means the box off again and what a crap job to do

Rufe
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:34
i asked them about a pair of caliper carriers for the brake upgrade and the guy wasnt really happy giving me a price as my t-5 shouldnt have that size brakes.

a lack of understanding is generally the reason for this sort of attitude.

might as well ask, but do you still need caliper carriers? lol :D

(if they told you they were exchange items and they needed the old ones back, and couldn't take smaller ones back in place of the larger ones they were selling, then this is quite simply wrong... and this is what i have heard of a few dealers telling people who ask for larger carriers. the old units do not have to be like for like.)

dant5
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:39
a lack of understanding is generally the reason for this sort of attitude.

might as well ask, but do you still need caliper carriers? lol :D

(if they told you they were exchange items and they needed the old ones back, and couldn't take smaller ones back in place of the larger ones they were selling, then this is quite simply wrong... and this is what i have heard of a few dealers telling people who ask for larger carriers. the old units do not have to be like for like.)

they didnt say anything about having the old carriers.
they will let me have the carriers for £70 inc vat thou