PDA

View Full Version : What to get?

Dan850
Saturday 30th April 2005, 14:38
Im going to look at a V70 R AWD auto on tuesday, ive been on the volvo club website and seen that the auto R AWD is the slowest. Is it best to look for a manual R, or is there not much in it, my previous car was an 850 T5 auto with 260 bhp.

andi t5
Saturday 30th April 2005, 15:32
i would be carefull with the awd, they are pretty unreliable in the transmission dept unless youreally want awd i would avoid to be honest mine was horrendous and i ended ditching it and getting a standard t5

fraz13
Saturday 30th April 2005, 17:32
The newer V70R AWD's are a lot better, 4wheel drive will take some of the power but a whole load more grip, hope you get a good one

Dan850
Saturday 30th April 2005, 18:46
Thanks guys, just found out the car is front wheel drive not awd.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 1st May 2005, 00:27
The AWD are good cars. The pre-Haldex system ones are troublesome if you are not spot on with tyre wear. They have a tendancy to throw transfer boxes if tyre wear gets out by more than 2mm. This is not a problem if you are careful.

Please bear in mind that the V70R AWD auto is the only one fitted with a 19T as standard!! (and twin tip exhaust). And while we are spinning up in every gear they will leave you for dead in the wet.

I guess it depends if you want to put up with the risk. New transfer boxes are very expensive. It is a misconception to bin them all, IMHO.

Once the Haldex system was introduced this tyre wear issue disappeared.

Dan850
Sunday 1st May 2005, 09:04
I think im going to go for the 2wd R, I also had a look at some audi a6 quattros, and they seemed really exspensive to repair, im on a tight budget already, and cant afford major gearbox repairs, cheers again for the advise, Dan