PDA

View Full Version : angled flange 16T and straight flanged 16T comparison

pangster
Thursday 9th October 2008, 13:04
just curious why you went with the angled flange 16T instead of the stock straight flanged on P1 cars? - do they hold boost better higher in the rev range or is there any other differences? It might be a fairly economical upgrade for other P1 cars (providing they get a cheap downpipe! lol!) if theres a benefit! :)

Yosser
Thursday 9th October 2008, 13:46
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly, but I *think* the angled outlet flows better...

Alan M
Thursday 9th October 2008, 14:01
I fitted an angled outlet 16t on Tims advice as its a larger outlet on the turbine side and is meant to aid with flow because of its shape and size.

pangster
Thursday 9th October 2008, 14:04
what are the main differences between the 2 (and no comments about one is straight and one is bent! lol!! ) and in relation to a P1 car, what would be the benefit of swapping a straight flanged 16T for an angled flange 16T?

pangster
Thursday 9th October 2008, 14:05
I fitted an angled outlet 16t on Tims advice as its a larger outlet on the turbine side and is meant to aid with flow because of its shape and size.

I didn't want to spam Chris's thread so I created a new thread here:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=187287#post187287

I'll ask for these replies to be moved as well.. :)

pangster
Thursday 9th October 2008, 14:15
i found this pic of a straight flanged 18T versus an angled flange 18T:

http://www.wothrline.com/images/Engine/18T_vs_18T.JPG

it states on the page:

Changing to another turbocharger design may be a big problem if you have a car with an older engine management system like the Bosch M4.3 and also the M4.4 may cause some problems.
Even though the part description on the turbocharger might look the same the character between the turbocharger models may vary a lot. For example Mitsubishi 16T turbochargers MY96 have a different character than a Mitsubishi 16T MY01 due to different turbine design and size. The biggest problem that comes with that is that the pre-controlled boost pressure can be very different and mounting the later 16T on an older car can result in very high boost pressure peaks.

source: http://www.wothrline.com/Cars_engine/HW/turbocharger.htm

not sure if I agree with the above though as surely it's down to how its mapped? - although I think he was making a comparison if you just bolt it on?..

Alan M
Thursday 9th October 2008, 15:53
Look at the outlet size though, its so much larger on the angled outlet so it should cause less of a restriction and its angled to start with so the hot gases don't have to go through as much of a turn of an elbow to start with. Some people I have spoke to who have maps with both outlets on thier own car have said the results were negligable on a Dyno but there was a slight improvement.

Alan M
Thursday 9th October 2008, 15:54
I thought the turbine sizes were the same across the range anyway hence the ability to use the various turbine housing through the range.

S70T5Chris
Thursday 9th October 2008, 15:58
The simple answer is, because I had a 3" downpipe & race cat to fit the angled flange, hence why I changed the turbo! Plus it's a much lower mileage turbo. Other than that, not sure if there are any benefits over the P1 straight flanged 16T's. Tim did do a bit of porting work on it too.

pangster
Thursday 9th October 2008, 17:20
The simple answer is, because I had a 3" downpipe & race cat to fit the angled flange, hence why I changed the turbo! Plus it's a much lower mileage turbo. Other than that, not sure if there are any benefits over the P1 straight flanged 16T's. Tim did do a bit of porting work on it too.

ahh.. ok fair enough.. :) I would imagine with the bigger outlet and porting then it would make a difference.. I *think* 16T's are good enough for round about 300 bhp ish, so I guess a lot depends on your end goal power wise.. but now you have an angled downpipe it'll be easier to go to an 18T/19T if required..