PDA

View Full Version : "Tinkling" turbo

bedlam
Saturday 30th April 2005, 11:45
Anyone out there experienced the following noise from turbo? On cold start particularly, there is a light rattle or tinkling noise from turbo area, with engine idling. This becomes intermittent when engine is up to temperature.
The noise also appears when decelerating or light throttle cruising. In all cases, it disappears when on throttle.
It's been making the noise for 20k miles, but appears more prominent now - or maybe I'm just more aware of it.
I should add that the actuator rod was adjusted, when i first got the car, but last week I turned it back to original setting to see if this would help.
There doesn't seem to be any performance problem and at both rod settings, no sign of lag or spike.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Justin
Saturday 30th April 2005, 11:48
Sounds very much like the heat shield is loose and rattling, then when it gets warm it expands and locks in place, try doing the nuts up tighter on the top shield, or the engine block shield :)

bedlam
Saturday 30th April 2005, 17:46
Justin,
I should have said, that I've had the heatshield off when doing the actuator rod adjustment and both times have made sure the the heatshield is properly secured.
This included replacing springs at offside top of shield.
That said, it sound exactly like a loose shield would. To this end, I also tried applying pressure in all reachable areas of the shield, while engine was running and making the noise.
I was unable to try it when the heatshield was "off" because I couldn't easily see how to wriggle it out.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway - the sound description must have been better than I thought.

glock19
Sunday 1st May 2005, 01:50
Check if the throttle cable wrap is off and hitting the engine or other parts. This is a TSB from Volvo too. What you can do is wrap it up nicely and cable tie it down.

bedlam
Sunday 1st May 2005, 06:59
My car is "classic" V70 March 2000 - fly by wire.

Justin
Sunday 1st May 2005, 13:17
In that case try the heat shield under the car that protects the fuel lines, should be on the drivers side, they are another annoyance and make the same noise :)

bedlam
Sunday 1st May 2005, 14:27
Cheers Justin, I'll give that one a try when I get home.
Anyone else out there with any ideas?