PDA

View Full Version : Grill

stainesy
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 06:59
as some of you no i just bought a mesh sports grill for my 850. well this is a pic of the grill bellow and iv just realised ther is no hole for the bonnet put thingy. do i just cut aa hole on the grill?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/5028_1.jpg

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 07:14
The grilles normaly come with a smaller 'wire' type of pull release, this is supposed to be fitted to the original catch in place of the normal pull handle.

Or you can just do what I did and remove the bonner release all together, being as these cars have two catches it's not very likley to come open on you is it?.

stainesy
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 16:36
was thinking of doing that but is that safe?

nathT5
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 19:06
copy cat :P
mine came with a wire, just had to work out how to make it work :crazy:

stainesy
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 19:11
copy cat :P
mine came with a wire, just had to work out how to make it work :crazy:

so what have you got poking through the grill? a wire with something on the end to stop it going back through the grill?

nathT5
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 19:51
its like a black bar with a 90* angle poking through,
the under bonnet end replaces the original plastic bit on the catch,
i,ll try to do a pic tomorrow as its quite difficult to explain,
should be very easy making something if you havent got the right bit.

stainesy
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 19:57
its like a black bar with a 90* angle poking through,
the under bonnet end replaces the original plastic bit on the catch,
i,ll try to do a pic tomorrow as its quite difficult to explain,
should be very easy making something if you havent got the right bit.

yeah i have a metal workshop at work so should be able to knock sumit up in there.

stainesy
Wednesday 8th October 2008, 19:47
fitted my grill today. took the bonnet catch totaly off as it was doing my head in and i didnt like the bit of metal sticking out from the replacement bit.
have put the yellow R badge in the middle of the grill and it looks realy good. was gona take a pic but it got dark outside so will post a pic up tomorow.

will it pass an mot without the middle bonet relaes?

PNuT
Wednesday 8th October 2008, 19:59
yes

PNuT
Wednesday 8th October 2008, 20:00
have you ever been in a car when the bonnet has flown up? its effin scarey :lol:

stainesy
Wednesday 8th October 2008, 20:05
yes

oh right so i dont have to put the bonnet releas back on for the mot then thats ok.

well it has 2 bonnet catches so i dout its gona pop open. its only gona be till i make a better releas at work. i dont like the one that came with the grill. looks odd.

PNuT
Wednesday 8th October 2008, 20:19
oh right so i dont have to put the bonnet releas back on for the mot then thats ok.

well it has 2 bonnet catches so i dout its gona pop open. its only gona be till i make a better releas at work. i dont like the one that came with the grill. looks odd.

never seen anyone drive off without shutting the bonnet properly? these things do happen from time to time ;)

stainesy
Wednesday 8th October 2008, 20:45
never seen anyone drive off without shutting the bonnet properly? these things do happen from time to time ;)

oh yeah no dout it happens.

and i have been checking its down everytime a stop since i took it off LOL

PNuT
Thursday 9th October 2008, 04:29
oh yeah no dout it happens.

and i have been checking its down everytime a stop since i took it off LOL

also check insurance

Tomcat
Thursday 9th October 2008, 07:12
I've put my standard grill back on and I still haven't replaced the catch, you just get into the habbit of double checking every time you shut the bonnet. If the car only had one catch then I think I'd be worried. Had a car on the back of my truck that the bonnet came up on, I was doing 80 at the time, the bonnet smashed the windscreen, bent the bonnet and roof and cut two slots into the wings where the hinges cut through them, sounded like a bomb going off!!.

Jimmie
Thursday 9th October 2008, 08:43
80!!?.
Tomcat;you new you were going to get chastised for writing that.lol

stainesy
Thursday 9th October 2008, 17:36
here are the pics as promist

in will get round to taking them decals off the bumper one day LOL

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-0003.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-0002.jpg

stephenevans99
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:09
I'd personally think it would look better if you moved the R badge to the bottom right corner. Just a thought!!

stephenevans99
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:13
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/stainesy1978/Photo-0002.jpg

If the missus parked as close to the kerb as that, I would have no hesitation in giving her a chinese burn around her neck !!!!!!

Shame on you !!! lol

stainesy
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:16
i have to park that close to the kirb as my house is on a main road next to a crossing island. it has busses passing inches from it every 15 mins

jonno12
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:17
stains lose the badge n the t5r and itll look the nuts mate

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:20
V70's have one thats at the bottom of the grill surround with a wire that goes from the catch to the handle. I don't know if they're retro-fittable though.

stainesy
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:23
im gona loose the T-5R but keep the r. it looks odd without the R. may move it tho its held on with a tiny cable tie at the mo so can move it

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:26
here's the v70 handle diagram

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/bonnet.jpg

MIKESC70T5
Thursday 9th October 2008, 19:54
Looks like you have a gaping hole in the front of the car, looks chavvy crap imo.The original grille in your signature looks hell of a lot better.Deffo remove the t5r sticker from the spoiler aswell lol.

nathT5
Thursday 9th October 2008, 21:10
ive got to say it looks great, coz ive got the same one :rolleyes:

senna
Thursday 9th October 2008, 23:59
I like the grill - i took the liberty of moving the R to see what y'all think...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/senna/GUL-R.jpg

:)

Tomcat
Friday 10th October 2008, 00:03
Better.

thebadger
Friday 10th October 2008, 05:07
Agreed, solitary stuff in the middle looks well out of place!

Looks more mean now!

I refitted the slash with a moose instead! Get loads of "wtf is it" comments! Also painted the black inlays in the slash yellow for added effect & the badge centre blue (bit sweed style) looks different!

Turns heads, or stomachs! Who cares!

stainesy
Friday 10th October 2008, 06:52
I like the grill - i took the liberty of moving the R to see what y'all think...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/senna/GUL-R.jpg

:)

yep your right. gona move it there today. cheers. the reason i put it in the middle is cozz it does look like there is just a hole in the front of the car without sumit on the grill to show there is mesh there.
but im going to move the R today does look good there.

stephenevans99
Friday 10th October 2008, 09:57
Now that looks 100% better Stainesy !!

stainesy
Friday 10th October 2008, 18:23
ok i have lost the T5R deals and put the grill in the bottom right corner. not as far into the corner as the pic thats bin made but close enugh. does look good. cheers for the advice peep. will get some pics tomorow when its light.

senna
Friday 10th October 2008, 23:10
ok i have lost the T5R deals and put the grill in the bottom right corner. not as far into the corner as the pic thats bin made but close enugh. does look good. cheers for the advice peep. will get some pics tomorow when its light.

No worries, glad to help, thought my artistic talents are lame and the suggestion was other peoples I just shopped it over.
I like it either way actually tho I prefer it slightly in the corner, a little more 'sleeper'
Nice yellow -R, very much my ideal volvo. Love my -R but an estate in yellow is top banana ;)

Glen

stainesy
Saturday 11th October 2008, 07:49
No worries, glad to help, thought my artistic talents are lame and the suggestion was other peoples I just shopped it over.
I like it either way actually tho I prefer it slightly in the corner, a little more 'sleeper'
Nice yellow -R, very much my ideal volvo. Love my -R but an estate in yellow is top banana ;)

Glen

cheers fella its taken me a wile and alot of anoying questions on here but the car is great now and getting better.
today going o fit my mintex brakes and poly top engine mount.

jonno12
Saturday 11th October 2008, 20:34
so ur up for a race then?