PDA

View Full Version : Changed my CV joint & Bang

Niles
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 01:53
Took me 2 hours to change my drivers side CV joint, out for a little test drive, I only made it 300m before BANG!!....then no drive. Got the car home (thanks to Mrs Me & snoop69). found these bits in the road...http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2008_1007brokenbox0019.jpg
Gearbox committed suicide (or, garage says diff exploded)

PNuT
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 05:16
they look very clean.....

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 07:09
Well that aint good...

dazat5
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 08:01
ooopss, im guessing superglue is out of the question :jaw:

readview
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 08:46
The only way that i can see your working on the car causing that would be if the cv joint was either the wrong one or incorrectly fitted,when it was all back together if there was no lateral movement in the joint it's possible that when you went over a rise in the road surface on that side of the car that instead of the shaft taking up the deflection of the suspension it has "stayed rigid" and passed all the force through to the gearbox.All this is a long shot and just theory but it's all i can think of at the mo.It just seems like too much of a coincidence that the car had been spannered just before the bang.If i am right the shaft will need sorting before the car goes out again or it will repeat the same trick!

Niles
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 11:51
The garage said that if I hadn't refitted it properly then the car wouldn't even had made it 300m, the gearbox has been on the blink for a while. The drive shaft I removed was from the drivers side, seems the failure was all passenger side related. the drive shaft i refitted was free to move & fully lubricated with fresh lithium grease. Really cant see I did anything wrong. The gearbox will be changed on Thursday/Friday, I asked the garage to double check the work I did. I'm not 100% that those bits are even from my car!! We'll see when the old box comes out. Thanks anyway!!

Niles
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 11:53
they look very clean.....

why do you say that mate? Snoop69 said the same thing. do you think they're too clean to have dropped out of my box?

cameron
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 12:29
Ouch an expensive lesson eh ?

Hope you get it sorted out soon Matey,

Lee

Niles
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 12:56
New gearbox is paid for & will be delived soon, the garage are ready to fit it. Thursday Friday'ish. My car has had a dodgy gearbox for months now, very much looking forward to it being 100%. I haven't been able to use all my horses for ages. I WANT MY HORSES BACK!!!! lol

PNuT
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 17:54
why do you say that mate? Snoop69 said the same thing. do you think they're too clean to have dropped out of my box?

bits that have been covered in oil & then been slung down the road dont usually look that clean! they look spotless....

snoop69
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 22:20
bits that have been covered in oil & then been slung down the road dont usually look that clean! they look spotless....

Thats what i said when i saw them.

Andrew & myself searched high & low for a dirty big hole but couldnt
find one (working at the roadside).

Them parts are spotless & to me it looks like they have been out at the
side of the road for a few days & cleaned by the bad weather we have been
having down here.Either that or they were cleaned by the person who
dumped them.

Hopefully,Andrew will let us now if there is a hole in his box when the
garage get it removed.

Also,with the car on axle stands & the gearbox in drive,the nearside shaft
can be seen rotating 'egg shaped' whilst the offside shaft runs true.
Andrew never touched the ns shaft so im guessing an internal explosion
of some kind.

tomtyres
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 22:25
Sorry to hear that Niles mate! :(
Just look forward to having a fresh gearbox to 'run-in' :sinner:

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 23:07
Ooooh, not good.

Although the bits on the road might not be yours, it must be a hell of a coincidence that they were there. They look like the planet gears (or whatever they're called)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/aw50-42.jpg

Good luck fitting it mate.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 23:17
Just found this in a bulletin on the AW50-42

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/uhoh-1.jpg

Bit worrying when it says 'most often'

Niles
Thursday 9th October 2008, 01:54
Ooooh, not good.

Although the bits on the road might not be yours, it must be a hell of a coincidence that they were there. They look like the planet gears (or whatever they're called)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/aw50-42.jpg

Good luck fitting it mate.

can you please tell me where you got that diagram from? I'd like to have the whole 'exploded' diagram of the gearbox.

Niles
Thursday 9th October 2008, 01:56
Just found this in a bulletin on the AW50-42

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/uhoh-1.jpg

Bit worrying when it says 'most often'

thanks for that!!!! when the box is changed I'll have a major look at the driveshafts.

snoop69
Thursday 9th October 2008, 08:17
can you please tell me where you got that diagram from? I'd like to have the whole 'exploded' diagram of the gearbox.

Thought you had your own bud :rotfl:

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 9th October 2008, 18:11
Thought you had your own bud :rotfl:

LMAO dude

bubbles
Thursday 9th October 2008, 21:43
i have a box compleate with drive shafts if ya want make a sensiable offer and there you go

snoop69
Thursday 9th October 2008, 21:46
i have a box compleate with drive shafts if ya want make a sensiable offer and there you go

Dont tell him 'its cheap' as he has just brought one :wallbash: