PDA

View Full Version : Silcone or original????

Loz1
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:01
Thought the title might get some attention (although probably been used before...oh well)

Going to replace the turbo and coolant hoses on my 850 t5, should i stick to original Volvo ones or go for the silcone type ones.

It there any noticable difference (apart from price), any gains, problems etc.

Rob_ioClean
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:03
Are you talking about the big pipes or the little ones?

Loz1
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:33
ah!!!!

you can tell i'm new to this (only really starting to get into the diy on car recently....better with bikes (to a point). I would be replacing the big ones (only because i didn't know there was any other ones) . This is what happens when you don't ask at the garage what they advise you should replace (thinking i shouldn't have taken it to the garage, car cost £950, they are quoting me silly money for work that in my mind, doesn't need doing, i just went in for a diagnose (CREDIT CRUNCH, must be) Still, i digress, should i replace them all at the same time.

t5 pete
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:39
there are around four vacume pipes and they are 4mm I/D and then there is your intercooler pipes the silicone ones are better and are more stronger but if your going to replace the vacume pipes you will want thick walled silicone hose ue to some hoses being very soft
hope this helps

Rob_ioClean
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:39
The big ones your fine to use silicone :)

On the small ones use re-enforced petrol pipes, stops them closing up on a vacume :)

Loz1
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:51
Once again. Thanks for the quick replys and useful information.

gazjacko
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 17:01
Silicone look better, though original are more fun to play with!!!!:biggrin:
Oh and as for the hoses,
Strangely, I found that I got better mpg after fitting samco hoses to my 850!