PDA

View Full Version : Squeeking belt

stainesy
Monday 6th October 2008, 17:46
i have noticed that the big belt that drives the powered steering pump and all other things down there has started to squeek. mainly whe the car is started after being sat for a wile. when it has been driven a wile it seems to get quieter but is still there.

do you recon i need a new belt? if so how much is it to get done?

Yosser
Monday 6th October 2008, 18:28
If the belt doesn't look perished or damaged it might be ok.

Try some belt slip: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hycote-Belt-Slip-Anti-slip-compound-aerosol_W0QQitemZ170269041882QQihZ007QQcategoryZ12 2141QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksid Zp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

stainesy
Monday 6th October 2008, 18:36
the belt looks ok apart from a tiny crack that runs the length of the belt that is only visable on the bends. it dont sound like its the belt squeeking it sounds more like a pully or sumit. like if there was a squeeky wheel on a shopping trolly or something.

stainesy
Monday 6th October 2008, 19:06
what does this belt power/do? what would happen if it snapped?

jonno12
Monday 6th October 2008, 19:22
i wouldnt want to find out lol

cookie
Monday 6th October 2008, 19:29
easy to replace, just need to lock tensioner back do a search for peeps ideas on how the've done it, Make sure you get a copy of how belt route's, as its changed over time. (I got caught out a few years back, scratching head for ages trying to refit same as old one came off) PM Rufe your reg for a price (as he will probably need to know air con etc). If belt snaps no power steering/alternator and ancileries. + what it may hit as it flies off.

stainesy
Monday 6th October 2008, 19:35
easy to replace, just need to lock tensioner back do a search for peeps ideas on how the've done it, Make sure you get a copy of how belt route's, as its changed over time. (I got caught out a few years back, scratching head for ages trying to refit same as old one came off) PM Rufe your reg for a price (as he will probably need to know air con etc). If belt snaps no power steering/alternator and ancileries. + what it may hit as it flies off.

oh right so its nothing to do with the timing then?
oh in that case im just gona buy some stop squeek stuff LOL

Rufe
Monday 6th October 2008, 22:39
these belts are not extortionately priced, it varies slightly depending on the exact detials of your car, but an example of an aux belt i priced up earlier was £31.02 / Our Price £21.71, plus £2.35 postage

if you want an exact price send me your reg, and i can price it up along with that other part you asked me about earlier if you like.

Simon :)

PNuT
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 05:39
my belt started making a noise the other day folowed by a burning smell :lol:

a new shorter belt for £19 seems to have solved it but the air con has stopped working

stainesy
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 06:49
i have a feeling its not the belt squeeking its a pully sqeeking. dont sound like a belt slipping more like sqeeky bairings