PDA

View Full Version : Suspension top?

mailee
Friday 29th April 2005, 17:19
I have a noise when I am driving slowly along an uneven road and wonder if anyone can shed some light on it. As I drive it seems to come from the drivers side towards the front and I can best describe it as a Dunk,Dunk sort of sound! The car is a 850T5 estate 1997. I hadn't noticed it before as I usually have the stereo on. Could this be the top shocker mount that is on it's way out?

jp850R
Friday 29th April 2005, 19:01
I have same noise but otherside would also be very interested if any 1 has any ideas.
Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 30th April 2005, 00:31
Top mount is the most likely candidate. Can also be engine mounts.

bedlam
Saturday 30th April 2005, 11:32
Worn anti-roll bar link rods is also worth a look.

mailee
Monday 2nd May 2005, 15:56
Well you were spot on bedlam. Anti roll bar link rod it is, top ball joint is moving around. Any ideas how much one of these will set me back? :slap:

bedlam
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:04
Glad to help.
There's a thread somewhere on these. The cheapest around is probably from Eurocarparts. Thread was about possible failure of non manufacturer's stuff, quality cocerns etc.
I bought mine from eurocarparts in glasgow, I think around £20 each - you can find them on their website.

bedlam
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:14
PS
I put them on around 7,000 miles ago and haven't had any problem as yet. This is despite the state of highland roads. Potholes, twists and turns etc are the norm here.

mailee
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:46
Thanks beldam, I shall give them a look. Got to admit £20 isn't too bad.

hamish
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:52
Hi,

From memory we're charging £18 on the 850's, s70's etc.

Regards,
Hamish.

izzysnan
Monday 2nd May 2005, 18:40
Hiya
I know this thread has been resolved, but after a service my T5 made a funny squeaking noise while going very slowly round corners and this too was coming from the front. On returning to the dealers (Volvo) they said it often happens after the vehicle has been jacked up on the ramps and that the suspension top rubbers where a bit dry. They sprayed the tops with silicone & hey presto no more squeaks!

mailee
Monday 2nd May 2005, 19:11
I had a look on Europarts website but couldn't find them. Anyone know a phone number for them? I didn't find a number on the site for some reason.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 00:03
Phone VT - Hamish will have them on the shelf!!! :doh:

01527 577710

siamblue
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 01:20
Dave do you think it would be wise to get 2 new ones for Sunday?Do they just sit on the inner wing under the plate?

Gary

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 01:38
Depends what the old ones are like but as you are removing them it might be as well to borrow a couple from VT and return any unused

siamblue
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 02:14
Cheers mate will email Adam and ask him to have 2 standby for me.

bedlam
Thursday 5th May 2005, 22:32
Just got home and looked up the links on eurocarpart site. The reason you couldn't find them is they're listed under anti-roll bar bush, not rod.
I was also wrong about the price - they're £20 per pair, not each.

mailee
Thursday 5th May 2005, 22:42
Thanks bedlam, I will have another look at that. Very cheap too I am impressed, especially after the shock of the door mirror glass.

craig
Monday 16th May 2005, 00:04
are these easy to change yourself or do you need some special tool for it cos i think mine have gone too.

bedlam
Tuesday 17th May 2005, 13:21
If the ones you're taking off are original Volvo, you'll need a torx bit to hold centre of bolt and a combi or ring spanner for nut - sorry I can't mind the sizes. Spurious replacements generally have a flat for spanner to hold, rather than torx bit. It's much easier to do the job. if front of car is level, i.e. both sides hanging free or both on deck. This means there is no load applied to antiroll bar and links will be easy to refit.
Dependant on rust, it take anywhere from 10 minutes toan hour to do both, after you,ve got the wheels off.