PDA

View Full Version : S60 auto rolling on hill in reverse

nickS60T5SE
Monday 6th October 2008, 12:51
My list of problems grows by the day. On top of my tracking, alarm and locking issues, I noticed yesterday when I got in my car that it rolled forward when I released my foot from the brake (facing down a slope) even though it was in reverse gear. I thought auto's had some sort of mechanism to stop that happening? It doesn't happen when I'm facing up a hill in a forward gear! Any ideas?

neevo
Monday 6th October 2008, 12:54
Does it roll far? I've found that with past autos if you changed gear to teh direction you was pointing in then there was some movement until the gears seemed t engage.

I dont think it is anything to worry about or if there is I shoudl have panicked before!

tingy
Monday 6th October 2008, 13:01
i get movement on mine when it in park with the handbrake on but only about 2inchs max apparently its a "feature" of volvos if its more then that id be worried but if its just a little movement like neevo said its prolly just the gear engaging fully

Baj
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:12
Inch or so is normal. Its something locking into something.

If it is rolling all the way down the hill, it is something else.

nickS60T5SE
Monday 6th October 2008, 20:42
It's definitely more than an inch or so. I've even started to use the handbrake when I'm reversing off my drive to ensure it doesn't roll into the house! I'm not so worried about it as I enjoy driving the car, but my wife is less keen as she doesn't really make the most of the 250 horses!

cornclose
Monday 6th October 2008, 23:04
Mine can roll back a good 2" even when put into park with the handbrake on aswell. It's normal, so I'm told...

thebadger
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 00:14
My auto box does allow some movement on hills, I find it tends to climb them a bit! (slowly)

It is normal (as far as I'm concerned) if the hill is steep enough, that yes, it will roll.

My advice is, use the break, or nurse the fun pedal!

nickS60T5SE
Tuesday 7th October 2008, 13:50
Thanks everyone!