PDA

View Full Version : proper curbing.....mot?!

ICF
Monday 6th October 2008, 00:14
Ive got a big ding in one of my alloys, not a scratch i mean its had a proper thump (not by me) and has bent out the rim, its about two inches long but the tyre doesnt go down.

anyone know if it'll fail an mot? there isnt a crack in the alloy but i darent bray it back in for fear of it splitting.

i'll try get a pic on tomorrow.

gtiteen
Monday 6th October 2008, 00:19
can you not feel it when driving?

cameron
Monday 6th October 2008, 09:03
I had the same thing on my 16" persus alloys when i got them with my last T5, the car came with an mot, but when i took it in to have some jobs done on it the garage said it was an mot failure, and that it definately wouldnt pass next time. ( probably a dodgy mot, £60 worth )

I didnt get to put it through its next mot as one of the brake lines split sending me into a wall backwards and shunting the rear axle forward 4 inches, no damage to the rest of the car though even when the bumper knocked a wall down, i mean not even a scratch, i couldnt beilive it.

Hope you get the wheel sorted out matey,

Lee

snoop69
Monday 6th October 2008, 13:15
Stick the spare on :smile:

cameron
Monday 6th October 2008, 13:33
Good thinking batman!

nathT5
Monday 6th October 2008, 17:35
you can have buckled alloys straightend, ive had some done before,
i took them to a wheel re-furber and they did them,
it does,nt even damage the paint but i had mine powder coated after as they were rough anyway.

cameron
Monday 6th October 2008, 17:44
How much did the un buckle cost you nath?

Wish i knew that before i sold my last wheels very cheaply as one was slightly buckled.

nathT5
Monday 6th October 2008, 19:22
How much did the un buckle cost you nath?

Wish i knew that before i sold my last wheels very cheaply as one was slightly buckled.

they charged me £45 per wheel, not bad as it was £30 just for the powder coating re-furb,
i always use metal-magic in barnsley, they send them to a place in wakefield if they,re buckled,
they warm them up and put them on a special jig to strech them back to shape,
also, they can do small cracks and splits, they grind out the damage and weld them up,

highly recomended by me, im having my R-alloys done soon, anthrasite or satin black???

cameron
Monday 6th October 2008, 21:12
Nice one Nath, i'll keep them in mind for when i get my Tethys done properly.

The guy i bought them off didnt put a top coat of glaze on them and they keep oxidising.

Nothing a light rub of T-Cut wont help but its slowly eating through the paint, plus they take ££££in ages to do being fiddly little spokes all 17 of them, taken me 2 hours last time, half an hour each corner, doh!

P.S. id go for the Anthracite, i think the black would be too dark, plus it keeps the car looking standard, if they were meant to be black they would have done so @ Volvo, LOL.

t5 pete
Monday 6th October 2008, 21:52
i have alway took my wheels to metal magic there quiet good

ICF
Monday 6th October 2008, 22:54
its on the front and doesnt unbalance the steering so dont think its buckled. Its just the outer edge of the rim.

Thought about the spare but its a smaller rim size than the alloy so think that will fail too. would it be ok if i got another spare from the scrappy and had matching rims at the front and 17's at the back?

snoop69
Monday 6th October 2008, 23:00
would it be ok if i got another spare from the scrappy and had matching rims at the front and 17's at the back?

Providing the wheel/tyre sizes are identical on the same axle you are ok.

Maybe you could pop down to an Mot station & ask if the wheel will pass
& save yourself the cost of the test.