PDA

View Full Version : Tyre rubbing

S60
Friday 3rd October 2008, 19:22
has anybody had tyre rubbing problems i seem to be gettin it when the cars full lock either side so just wondering if anybodies had the same problem i've got 225/45 17's

S60-MBS
Friday 3rd October 2008, 19:28
pretty common issue on S60/V70 with 17 and 18 inch wheels ,occasionally happens with 16"wheels.

v70torslanda
Friday 3rd October 2008, 19:31
Lockstops? Worn front wishbone bushes?

There's loads to look at. . .

Get proddin', lad!

J

S60
Friday 3rd October 2008, 19:44
i've already changed the rubber lock stops due to my friend at my local volvo garage sayin that they needed changed he phoned a mastertech place they said it was common but just wanted to check with u guys incase he was takin the mickey this was the same "friend" who said my gearbox was about to pack in when it was infact the abs/stc module needin fixed

t5 pete
Friday 3rd October 2008, 19:59
did the lock stops cure the problem

S60
Friday 3rd October 2008, 22:11
nope its still doin it when i fitted them though they didnt rub as much

Baj
Saturday 4th October 2008, 01:16
What wheels have you got?
I have 18s and get no rubbing so it is probably to do with your wheels offset.

readview
Saturday 4th October 2008, 14:47
Hi,there are three different sizes of lockstops,varying according to the wheel size.Check with rufe and he'll tell you whether you have fitted the right ones.A quick fix to the worn lockstop problem is to swap them from one side to the other as this inverts them(they only wear on the lower edge on the plastic ones)this wont work on a set of rubber ones though as they tend to detach completely.

Volvo Family
Friday 10th October 2008, 14:57
The beauty of the different lock stops is they increase your turning circle so avoiding the tyre rubbing problem. I just try not using full lock unless I really have to.

PNuT
Friday 10th October 2008, 15:12
The beauty of the different lock stops is they increase your turning circle so avoiding the tyre rubbing problem. I just try not using full lock unless I really have to.

trouble is its an mot faliure if it rubs.....

jay30h
Saturday 11th October 2008, 14:17
thats what i thought
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2035%20-%20April%202007.pdf

last page

simonc
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 09:56
My Cossie failed the MOT because tyre was rubbing due to end stop missing from new steering rack on one side but my V70 R passed ok at the Volvo main dealer with rubbing on both sides due to worn end stops ! I've since swapped them from side to side to has sorted the problem for now.

t5owner
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 12:21
Tyre rubbing on P2`s is a known problem and volvo admit it

On P2`s there is a metal deflector plate bolted to each inner wing in the position where the tyre`s would rub

If your tyre`s do rub as long as they make contact with this plate and nowhere else the car cannot fail it`s MOT on this alone granted it will fail if steering stops are worn or for some other steering component failure

Also the contact will be minor and for short periods as your not gonna put on full lock and then clog it (or are you ?)

Just ask your local traffic cop in his Volvo and he`ll tell you the same thing

Cheers

stuart

gfurm
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 12:25
Mine rubs with same size tyres and in full lock. I can hear it only when parking. I'm not worried about it.

PNuT
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 12:52
Tyre rubbing on P2`s is a known problem and volvo admit it

On P2`s there is a metal deflector plate bolted to each inner wing in the position where the tyre`s would rub

If your tyre`s do rub as long as they make contact with this plate and nowhere else the car cannot fail it`s MOT on this alone granted it will fail if steering stops are worn or for some other steering component failure

Also the contact will be minor and for short periods as your not gonna put on full lock and then clog it (or are you ?)

Just ask your local traffic cop in his Volvo and he`ll tell you the same thing

Cheers

stuart

i think the key to the issue is they shouldnt touch whilst stationary.....

S60
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 20:11
thanx guys for all the advice glad to hear i'm not the only one with this problem :D

thebadger
Tuesday 14th October 2008, 23:58
Changed to 17's the other day.... I now have mega rubbing at full lock!

Why not so with the 18 pegs? wtf!

Gonna try the lock stop trick, see if they're worn!