PDA

View Full Version : S60 2.4T... anygood?

dave854
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 16:47
Has anyone got a 2002 2.4T S60? I've stumble across one which looks very nice :) although i was not intending to get an S60 i may well be tempted! Full spec SE in black with black interior. Stupid low miles too, just under the 30K.

Anything to look out for when viewing? I guess the ETM issues are sorted by 2002?

Thanks guys

Baj
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 17:07
I have just that (edit: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17550).
Can I ask the price?

I had to do the rear ARB at 115k.
I cannot think of any problem I have had with mine. Some say there are doorlock problems.

5k a year for 6 years?! I work from home and have done nearly that.
Seems suspiciously low.

When you say SE spec, is it an S with the spec or an SE?

princepugh
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 17:08
The low blow kicks out 200 horses and does a 0-60 in 7 and a half seconds so it's no slouch. The spread of power will probably be different to the T5 - likely the boost threshold is lower so you'll not get the big step in performance as it spools up and likely to be more tractable at lower RPM. I think some reviews have suggested that the 2.4T is a nicer car to drive because of this.

Suspect there's less scope for tuning without upgrading the turbo but some of the tech members may be able to advise?

I think the suspension is a little less firm than the T5 too.

Baj
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 17:14
Its not got the push-in-the-seatness of the T5 but it is not slow when you punch it.
Some people mentioned that the turbo could be upgraded but I have no proof on this.

I have noticed there are very very few ever on ebay. Loads of 2.0s and T5s.

dave854
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 21:25
Thanks guys. Looks nice and clean Baj! the way they should be.

I have a T5 at the moment ('99 v70), I was tempted by the S60 T5 but being swayed by the mighty new tax. The 2.4 will fall in a band below. Also looking at the spec the 2.4t is just as quick as the old v70 T5 but more economical - what do you get to the gallon Baj? I get 27-29 at the moment with boring driving to and from work.

The milage looks to be genuine by the detail i've been given and the pictures but i'll know more when (if) i go and look at it. I would guess that it was own by an elderly person perhaps? It is the SE model, not an S that has been spec'd up. It has dolby, leather, heated seats, wood trim (not a great fan!) leather gear knob and the multispoke alloys... tethys? there are a lot of spokes anyway! o, and rear parking sensors.

Its up for a few pounds short of £5K

Ps, where do you get the stickers from you have on your boot?! I want the extra hp too :D

Baj
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 22:59
Rear parking sensors are a good plan, its an arse to park.
OK price if it has a decent history and is all good.

MPG isnt great at the moment as I am doing town miles (clock says my avg speed is 19mph!) but a long motorway run can see nearly 35. Its not an economy wagon but should be better than the T5.

The only thing I would say is the boot is quite big (I have had 3 sets of golf clubs with trolleys in it) but the hole to get it all in is small so no lugging wardrobes.

Are you sure about that tax banding?

I have stickers from davebarton.com for the mooses, the pistonheads shop (which seems to be down) and the T5 badge was already there :)

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 23:07
ide stick to the old school phase one 850 v70 there easier to matiane unless you have a good bank balance

dave854
Friday 3rd October 2008, 14:06
What are the running costs like for the S60 then? can you read fault codes and things like the me7 V70? I've an elm reader which will do some of the ecu's, ideally i'd like to still be able to read codes and reset service lights, ecu lights my self as I do at the moment... for free... the best price :)

Curiously this car has a aerial on the roof, just above the rear window.. any ideas what that might be for?! no sign of inbuilt phone. It also has the black bumper trims and door strips colour coded to match the car. Looks like a factory job but I've not seen this on any other pre-2004 S60. hoping to go and have a good old fashioned poke around in the next week or so... will let you know if it really is genuine or not

These are rated at 220g emmisions which, in 2010 (i think?) will fall in the band under the highest where the T5 will be @ £410 ish. The 2.4T should be around the £310 mark. I got those figures from the parkers web site. Feel free to shout at me if i'm wrong on this! I've not don't much research on it.

Baj
Friday 3rd October 2008, 14:27
What are the running costs like for the S60 then? can you read fault codes and things like the me7 V70? I've an elm reader which will do some of the ecu's, ideally i'd like to still be able to read codes and reset service lights, ecu lights my self as I do at the moment... for free... the best price :)

Mine is due the 120k service. It is a small (flluids?) service and Volvo quoted me £250ish (it was £350 but I queried what was involved and they said it was a small service and ammended the price - the advantage of full Volvo service history is they can tell you everything that has been done. It may be worth taking the reg# to your local dealer and asking them the history).
It is essentially a saloon version of the P2 V70 I think it might be slightly narrower.
All cars after 199something have to have OBD. REsetting service light is easy, just a button combo on the dash. You need the Volvo software upgrades for the usual stuff like changing the Daylight running lights etc.

Curiously this car has a aerial on the roof, just above the rear window.. any ideas what that might be for?! no sign of inbuilt phone. It also has the black bumper trims and door strips colour coded to match the car. Looks like a factory job but I've not seen this on any other pre-2004 S60. hoping to go and have a good old fashioned poke around in the next week or so... will let you know if it really is genuine or not

It may be due to the parking sensors. The normal aerial is in the rear bumper so the sensors may have been affecting it.
Are the trims gloss smooth painted to match the body or black plastic?
Thingummy whatsit painted his trim on his S60R lookalike and it needed lots of prepwork. Cant see the point of doing it on a black car though as the trim is already black

These are rated at 220g emmisions which, in 2010 (i think?) will fall in the band under the highest where the T5 will be @ £410 ish. The 2.4T should be around the £310 mark. I got those figures from the parkers web site. Feel free to shout at me if i'm wrong on this! I've not don't much research on it.
Sounds good. The T5 is a smaller engine though so its all a bit confusing innit :)