PDA

View Full Version : Wining steering

stainesy
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 21:15
my steering has always been winy since i got the car but it seems to be getting louder and sometime its loud and stiff to turn. what could cause this and how do i sort it?
do 850,s have a winy poewered steering motor normaly?

t5 pete
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 21:21
Myne wines a bit on full lock which is the power steering pump but if yours i wining all the time and very stiff it either two problems and they are the power steering pump or the steering rack also just cheack the fluid level you might have a leak.
cheers for the help on the dump valve just bought a forge twin piston

stainesy
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 21:25
Myne wines a bit on full lock which is the power steering pump but if yours i wining all the time and very stiff it either two problems and they are the power steering pump or the steering rack also just cheack the fluid level you might have a leak.
cheers for the help on the dump valve just bought a forge twin piston

mine has always wined when i turn but is louder on full lock. but every now and again it gets stiff. got a feeling it might be the pump. the fluid level is fine.

yeah glad i could help with the dump valve mate.
i have a bailey motorsport dump valve. think mine is twin piston to but could be rong LOL cant remember

matt855
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 21:44
My pump on my wagon is starting to go too, whines a fair amount when it's cold out. They're fairly cheap and easy to replace. If you are not leaking fluid and you don't have reasons to think your rack is binding, I'd replace the pump and do away with the noise.

96T5Andy
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 07:49
My power steering pump also whines a fair bit, but I also have a strange thing that happens on long corners. Most of the time you dont notice it but on fairly long corners, you hold the steering at a certain position and it feels like every second or so it becomes slack, and the steering wheel will move a small amount, before it becomes taught again and goes back to its original position.

Im not sure if I have explained this very welll, but does anyone understand what I mean and know what It might be indicative of?

I am not too worried as it only has been noticable on very few occasions.

Thanks in advance.

stainesy
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 16:37
hhhhhmmmm not sure what that could be.

i have noticed on mine that the steering is very taut and responsive but if i go over ruff ground the steering feels abit slack and then on the road its nice again.