PDA

View Full Version : EGR valve faulty (s60 D5)

gfurm
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 18:03
Hello there.
I've been checking this forum for a while but I couldn't find answer to my question.

For last few weeks I've been getting Higih Emissions Service Required message on my 2001 S60 D5. After switching engine off it dissapears. I went to Hallmark in Stockport to have errors checked but they couldn't find anything in history or after a short drive the guy took it for. It only shows when you drive at constant revs without accelerating or slowing down and always under 2000 RPM. So I took it for a drive and came back to them when it showed up, left engine runnig while they conneced it to computer and they got this error code: 4405. EGR valve faulty.

I was quoted 750 pounds for repair, but what got me thinking was this: he said I have to replace 3 parts: valve, acutator and exhaust gases cooler. Is that really necessery? If valve is faulty why do I have to replace all three parts? From what I know the cooler is basically a pipe so what can go wrong there?

Is it possible to buy EGR valve somewhere so I can do it myself? I'm pretty good with spanners so I don't think it'd cause me much trouble, the problem is I can't find any online parts retailers which carry this valve.

Any help will be gratly appreciated.

greg

princepugh
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 22:35
Suppose they're quoting for all three components as they make up the gas recirc system and it's probably easier to replace all at once. You could start with the valve and actuator as they are the mechanical / electro-mechanical parts which may be prone to failure? Rufe may be able to quote for parts if you PM him?

ALivesey
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 00:13
Gfrum. where are you? can you get to Accrington... Go to see Readview Garage in Accrington.. better than main stealer!

gfurm
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 14:43
I'm in Manchester. I remember seeing posts about independents in this area but I can't find it. I think it was before the forum went down. The only two I know about is Hallmark in Stockport and Smithy's in Wigan, but they're both 20 miles from my place.

And yes, there were quoting for all three parts.

One more question: can something bad happen if I don't replace it for a few months? Can't really spend that much money right now.

v70torslanda
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 22:13
You could try taking the car for a 500 mile flat out burn and see what happens. . .

That should clear out the egr system quite nicely! and get the EGR valve freed up abnd working again. I don't remember changing many of these whenI worked at the dealership.

An 800 mile overnight drive to Limoges from Manchester made my D5 run like a train.

Get up at 6.00 on Saturday morning, fill the tank and go to Edinburgh for breakfast. Keep it between 85 and 90 on the cruise and give it the absolute full bananas up Shap.

Go on, you know you want to. :) ;)
Muahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahah aha!!!!!!!!!

Regarding independents you also have the choice of Trevor Burgess at Hyde, who get my personal recommendation FWIW. Rob is a very experienced and highly skilled Volvo certified technician and has access to VIDA and other 'Volvo only' software downloads/fixes.

Another good bet is Norden Motor Company nr Rochdale. Owned and run by John Lawn who has shedloads of Volvo and mechanical experience.

princepugh
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 22:33
I believe it's a likely MOT failure and whilst it's not working it will probably cause sooty carbon deposits, which could ultimately make matters worse in terms of the repair. Defo seek advice from an indie.

v70torslanda
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 22:52
It's only soot FFS!

Clean it out and it'll probably be like brand new.

Wot you got to lose by giving it an 'Italian tune up'?

J

princepugh
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 23:01
LOL @ 'Italian tune-up' - aint heard that in a while! :-)

gfurm
Friday 3rd October 2008, 16:16
Thanks for all answers.

Strange enough it passed MOT few weeks after I started getting this message. No trouble with emissions there. Just tiny bit higher then year before.

In fact I was thinking about cleaning it first. Just need some nice weather for a day.

I did a trip across Europe a month ago, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium and France. 20 hours straight, average speed on 1000 miles journey 70 MPH (until I hit Dover, then it went down to 40 :( ). So I don't think a long road trip will help.

greg

Rufe
Friday 3rd October 2008, 18:14
hi mate

have you seen the inside of it yourself yet? i have seen a few of these when they are coked up, and they are generally well beyond cleaning. they coke up worse than other parts i have seen by far, as it go's extremely hard. may be worth a go, but its a long shot unfortunately.

Simon