PDA

View Full Version : worth it???

Tiny 12
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 11:49
I was just wondering if these are any good (and easy to fit?)?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-Filter-Air-Induction-Kit-Volvo-850-2-3i-Turbo-T5_W0QQitemZ180294198533QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item18 0294198533&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or would I be best off sticking with a panel filter?

Thanks

MIKESC70T5
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 14:39
Had one on my t5, made a lovely noise,and looked good lol, but to be honest,no power gain. Replaced it with a panel filter.

woz
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 15:09
I was just wondering if these are any good (and easy to fit?)?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-Filter-Air-Induction-Kit-Volvo-850-2-3i-Turbo-T5_W0QQitemZ180294198533QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item18 0294198533&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or would I be best off sticking with a panel filter?

Thanks
Suggest you use a panel filter or you will need to set up an airbox / cold air feed etc to avoid it sucking in hot air. Much easier to retain the existing than to build your own. If you dont you will get poor peformance.
Cheers
Woz

badger1980
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 17:32
each to there own matey but ive i was warned more than once about using k&n not just on a Volvo but just in general as supposedly the quality has gone done and they are relying on the name now

JOHN OWEN
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 20:36
hello john owen here rica advise the reusable itg panel filter best £48

t5 stealth
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 21:56
iv got k&n on my 850,
its been fine,no problems,nice noise,maintenance free motoring.
i fitted it over a year ago,
cleaned it out for the 1st time last week,& i wont touch it again for another year lol.

Tiny 12
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 10:37
Thanks for your help guys!!

i think i may leave it and stick with my pannel!!

c70Portree
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 10:50
i have a k&n typhoon on my t-5 ill get some pics up later of my Direct air feed setup,

c70Portree
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 23:43
heres my setup up with the typhoon being linked to the standard intake pipe via aluminium foil pipe (tumble dryer vent) basically what it is, typhoon was weird (prob due to the hot engine air it was sucking in) at first until i fited the foil pipe, now a wee bit louder and a more throttle responsive yippee! you can also route the pipe out your fogglight hole or something if you dont want to use the standard intake, hope i help your desicison,

Iain

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 23:46
Stick with a pannel filter

BigV
Friday 3rd October 2008, 09:18
IMO these performance air-filters / induction kits are for boy racers and Vauxhall Corsa's......

I had one on my first car......it made the car run worse and added no performance at all.......... they are probably great on very old fashioned cars (old minis etc) where the induction setup is **** and the exhaust pipe is like a small straw - completely suffocating the engine, but just a marketing con on these more modern designed engines where the manufacturer has already spent lots of time and money squeezing out the best possible power / economy ratio.....

Same goes for performance cat backs IMO, unless your standard exhaust is shagged, why bother?

irf
Friday 3rd October 2008, 09:25
Same goes for performance cat backs IMO, unless your standard exhaust is shagged, why bother?

more flow = more power and lower exhaust gas temps. high exhaust gas temps will kill your car, not so important if the cars standard, it is important if the cars running higher boost though.

c70Portree
Friday 3rd October 2008, 10:03
IMO these performance air-filters / induction kits are for boy racers and Vauxhall Corsa's......

I had one on my first car......it made the car run worse and added no performance at all.......... they are probably great on very old fashioned cars (old minis etc) where the induction setup is **** and the exhaust pipe is like a small straw - completely suffocating the engine, but just a marketing con on these more modern designed engines where the manufacturer has already spent lots of time and money squeezing out the best possible power / economy ratio.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C70 T5 Auto

it wasnt running properley because you didnt fit it properley, either too much or too little air chocked filter endless possibilities..............and manufacture dont spend endless time getting the best power/economy ratio out of cars, why is there ricas for volvos then? more torque means lower revs when overtaking and such = less fuel.

BigV
Friday 3rd October 2008, 11:46
------

C70 T5 Auto

it wasnt running properley because you didnt fit it properley, either too much or too little air chocked filter endless possibilities..............and manufacture dont spend endless time getting the best power/economy ratio out of cars, why is there ricas for volvos then? more torque means lower revs when overtaking and such = less fuel.

No, actually I don't agree, my first car ever came with one fitted already, and when I put the car back to standard it ran much better.

If you buy into all the marketing guff about big exhausts and powerflow air filters then IMO you are misguided.......... it is just not going to become an issue on your average road car.

It is just madness to think that throwing a £300 exhaust and £75 air filter onto a modern car which would have cost millions to develope and thousands to buy is going to add any significant power gains........

Remapping and other types of engine mods are a whole different ball game, and usually aren't achieved by nipping down to halfords with 50 quid in your back pocket.

SyKo
Friday 3rd October 2008, 12:15
BigV you have a valid point there, there are a lot of mis-guiding thigns on the market, especially when it comes to induction and exhausts, also these performance boost 'chips' (which are effecticly a resistor which tricks your ecu to thinking its getting cold air all the time).

I actually run no air filter on my turbo. that does make a difference, gets to boost quicker, much cooler air as less 'stuff' to go through and get heated too.

On the exhaust side, a cat back system will show very very little improvement, mainly just sound. On the other hand if you replaced your cat OR got a decat and modded the o2 sensor accordingly, you would see a mild performance increase. The most limiting factor in terms of the exhaust is in fact the manifold. Most manufacturers just make it so it fits in the engine bay and they make it as cheaply as possible.

If they spent time and money on designing it then the headers would all be equal length and of the right diameter to provide adequate gas flow the vent the exhaust gasses and also to allow for the needed back pressure for any EGR measurements etc.

If you look at any high performance modified car with or wthout turbo, you will find that they have had new camshafts mainly on the exhaust side and the manifolds done to provide a much faster less restrictive escape from the engine/turbo.

in regards to your car running poorly with an induction kit and then better with the standard, this will be your ecu doing this. your drawing in more cold air than a standard panel filter would throught he maf, iat or w/e you have and the standard programming on the ecu doesnt have the necessary values stored within it to adjust the fuelling correctly.

I understand with the rica ecu remaps, every time, say you change your air box to induction or exhaust or performance mod in any way, it is required to get the best performance that you have a remap.

Matt

irf
Friday 3rd October 2008, 16:02
look at the power gains for induction kits http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/.

with regards to manufacturers not doing it in the first place, simple reason is that they have a lot more criteria to fill. noise, emissions etc etc. this is less important to the modifier.

stating that the manufacturer has made an element filter so good that it cant be improved upon is simply laughable.

i will add however that the volvo one is designed well and isn't really necessary for mildly tuned cars.

point is, without being condescending to others, let people do what they want, it may be a small increase in response, it may make a better noise, up to them and as long as it isn't actually harmng the car who bloody cares?

BigV
Friday 3rd October 2008, 16:21
look at the power gains for induction kits http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/.

with regards to manufacturers not doing it in the first place, simple reason is that they have a lot more criteria to fill. noise, emissions etc etc. this is less important to the modifier.

stating that the manufacturer has made an element filter so good that it cant be improved upon is simply laughable.

i will add however that the volvo one is designed well and isn't really necessary for mildly tuned cars.

point is, without being condescending to others, let people do what they want, it may be a small increase in response, it may make a better noise, up to them and as long as it isn't actually harmng the car who bloody cares?

In all honesty I don't really care, I was jjust trying to bring a different perspective to the discussion.

I never stated that the manufacturer made the original filter (or whatever), SO good that it can't be improved (depends on how you classify improvement mind you...), just that any gains or changes were likely to be insignificant, especially when compared to the cost.

Take a look at this article, http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm , written by a guy who tunes / used to build very hot engines..... I think it sums up what I feel about most bolt on tuning gear better than I can express myself here.

If you want one, go for it, but don't expect to actually notice any difference re: performance. These things are basically fashion accessories, and bloody expensive ones at that.

I just want people to be aware of what they are buying, there is nothing worse than spending £XXX and then being disapointed because it doesn't live up to the claims / hype.