PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god!!!!!

Niles
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 11:09
had some strange clonky clippy knocky pops coming form the front drivers side over the last few days, particularly bad yesterday, I took a look today & wiggled the wheel from top & below of the wheel, no play, did the same from left to right.....MASSIVE play, the mother of all totally destroyed inner track rods!!!!! Never in all the field of automotive experience have I ever on any car had such a worn part!!! To be honest, it scared me. Straight on the phone to GSF and new part is waiting for me!! Phew!! lucky me spotted it before the whole thing let go!!! £14.50 well spent.
Is it possible that a EXTREMELY tired rod could prematurely kill a CV joint?

rs_andy
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 13:30
Wouldn't expect it to affect your cv joint, just like doing a lot of turning really...

Dan850T5
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 13:48
Hmmm mine is making those sort of noises from passenger side :S

scared now!

jonno12
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 14:00
i would change the track rods then i did mine and it cured it

badger1980
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 17:38
I had one let go on my rally car a good few years ago 90degree bend doing about 80 dug into the floor and rolled me oh what fun lol

Niles
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 20:03
i changed the inner track rod, you wouldnt believe how worn it was. Still didnt fix the clonkity clonk noise. Next job will be change the CV joint ASAP!!!

Anyone here changed an 850 T5 cv joint? Tricky or not?

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 20:14
I took my cv joint apart on my AWD propshaft. It was exactly the same as an outer cv joint. I took it apart, cleaned all the dry grease out, re-greased and refitted it, piece of cake mate! (it was that or fork out £750 for a new prop!)

D5 Stunt Man
Wednesday 1st October 2008, 21:55
I took my cv joint apart on my AWD propshaft. It was exactly the same as an outer cv joint. I took it apart, cleaned all the dry grease out, re-greased and refitted it, piece of cake mate! (it was that or fork out £750 for a new prop!)

Bomb just out of interest, before you took the Cv joint apart did you have the "popping noise" abd if so when you re-greased and put back together did it get rid of the noise?

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 2nd October 2008, 19:52
I had a clicking noise coming from somewhere round there, and it did stop it when I regreased it. But... it is only the propshaft for the rear wheels, a front driveshaft is a bit more important as it takes most (well, all on a FWD car LOL) of the power.

I replaced my cousins driveshaft a couple of weeks ago because his was clicking. When I got the wheel off, the CV boot had completely disintegrated (spelling?) and the joint had dried up, hence the wear/clicking. All the grease had sprayed all over the inside of the wheel rim and suspension components, so it was a messy job.

D5 Stunt Man
Friday 3rd October 2008, 09:54
I had a clicking noise coming from somewhere round there, and it did stop it when I regreased it. But... it is only the propshaft for the rear wheels, a front driveshaft is a bit more important as it takes most (well, all on a FWD car LOL) of the power.

I replaced my cousins driveshaft a couple of weeks ago because his was clicking. When I got the wheel off, the CV boot had completely disintegrated (spelling?) and the joint had dried up, hence the wear/clicking. All the grease had sprayed all over the inside of the wheel rim and suspension components, so it was a messy job.

I checked mine yesterday (touch wood) and everything looks all ticktey boo around the drive shaft area.

I'm sure it will go wrong soon like everything else on my S60! -(I'm not bitter much!)