PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay cleaning

MikeMitch
Thursday 28th April 2005, 21:58
Having had my car for a week now and very impressed, got an ITG Air filter and a full service next week.

I want to clean the engine bay everything is covered is black dust, hasn't been done in 10 years by the look of it. Question is can I jet spray or steam clean it or will this do serious damage to the electrics etc?

As an aside my average mpg is only 16.5 at the moment all urban, hope it improves after the service.

Thanks for help.

Mike

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 28th April 2005, 22:52
Be very careful jetwashing an engine bay. the jet power is likely to ingress into many of your electrical components. I have heard of people successfully jet washing their engine but I would only do it if you can live with any faults you develop.

Steam cleaningis an option getting hold of one can be expensive and it's probably cheaper to get a professional valet done...

Otherwise its just plain elbow grease, start at one corner and finish at the other.........

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th April 2005, 00:17
I am with Wayne on this. Don't jet wash your engine bay. I use engine degreaser on a cloth to wipe of the worst. I use autoglym engine sparkly stuff in a can to make it look nice and also some back to black on the bits that dont get that hot like the plug cover/throttle cover/airbox.

Chris Kay has polished up my fuel rail cover. Some time during the summer I will look to remove the cam cover and clean up the exterior castlelations and do the same with the top of the t stat housing.

Steam cleaning is not a good idea either IMHO. Steam and/or Water just dont mix with electrical connectors. No point having a clean bay if the bugger dont work! (excuse my french)

This is not the best mine has been but it is not bad!

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/rayannaJan2005/B52324FT.jpg

There really is no substitue for hard work.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th April 2005, 00:20
Mine is about 19 at the mo. I wouldn't expect much more for around town.

nikgallagher
Friday 29th April 2005, 08:57
Be very careful jetwashing an engine bay. the jet power is likely to ingress into many of your electrical components. I have heard of people successfully jet washing their engine but I would only do it if you can live with any faults you develop.

Steam cleaningis an option getting hold of one can be expensive and it's probably cheaper to get a professional valet done...

Otherwise its just plain elbow grease, start at one corner and finish at the other.........

What about an air line to blow away the crap from the the hard to reach areas? Would this still be unadvisable, as it's not humanly possible to get in to all the nooks and crannies without disassembling half the engine.

swordy21
Friday 29th April 2005, 09:46
Don't jet wash - I did and it didn't like it much - cut out on me overtaking - OMG :wtf:

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th April 2005, 10:20
What about an air line to blow away the crap from the the hard to reach areas? Would this still be unadvisable, as it's not humanly possible to get in to all the nooks and crannies without disassembling half the engine.
Yeah that would be OK.

MikeMitch
Friday 29th April 2005, 23:32
Seems like a bussy weekend cleaning then. thanks Mike

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 30th April 2005, 01:49
Airline's cool...but it will probably only remove dust and stuff....back to the elbow grease I'm afraid......

Oh and just in case you were wondering...I don't clean my engine bay...I have enough trouble cleaning the paintwork....

Dacvolvo
Saturday 30th April 2005, 15:26
http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/enginebay.htm

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 30th April 2005, 15:54
http://img77.echo.cx/img77/4752/23aut03043hm.jpg
the pictures doesn't do it justice, but took 6 monthes to clean his engine up, but did win him best 850 in concours believe it was 5 years on the trot (& the observant one's will have noticed its not a T-5, its a 2litre non-turbo)