PDA

View Full Version : Will a cruise ABS ECU run a non cruise car??

mickhoon
Monday 29th September 2008, 12:10
Question as title for the great minds of this fair forum...
Cheers.

Neil
Monday 29th September 2008, 14:19
I don't think there's any connection / relation between cruise control and the ABS ECU, is there?

mickhoon
Monday 29th September 2008, 17:41
Cruise uses the abs sensors to maintain the speed, as does the speedo mate.

Neil
Monday 29th September 2008, 20:12
Cruise uses the abs sensors to maintain the speed, as does the speedo mate.

Surely cruise just uses the same feed that the speedo and engine ECU do for road speed.

So I'm really not getting that cars with cruise would have a different ABS ECU - I've never heard of that before.

I've heard of people adding cruise to a non-cruise equipped car - but I've never heard of them having to replace the ABS ECU, nor the engine ECU or gearbox ECU for that matter.

PNuT
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 04:38
yes

mickhoon
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 18:06
Surely cruise just uses the same feed that the speedo and engine ECU do for road speed.

So I'm really not getting that cars with cruise would have a different ABS ECU - I've never heard of that before.

I've heard of people adding cruise to a non-cruise equipped car - but I've never heard of them having to replace the ABS ECU, nor the engine ECU or gearbox ECU for that matter.

I just want to be sure i get the right part as it's for a mate and therefore not my cash to spend, I would have thought the same as you, but car electronics can be bloody weird so thought best to check the fair brains on this here forum as i know the tracs ones are different to non tracs.

Neil
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 18:36
I just want to be sure i get the right part as it's for a mate and therefore not my cash to spend, I would have thought the same as you, but car electronics can be bloody weird so thought best to check the fair brains on this here forum as i know the tracs ones are different to non tracs.

I would have thought somebody like Rufe would be able to be absolute - but you can see a difference where TRACS is concerned - that has direct links to ABS, because it's the ABS system that's used to modulate the traction control (it's braked, rather than spark / fuelling, as I understand it).

PNuT
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 18:42
i have used tracs ecu's on non tracs cars & non tracs ecus on tracs cars with no problem

my wifes car has an awd tracs unit fitted to it at the moment & its fwd

Alan M
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 18:47
My car is FWD and has an AWD tracs ECU. I used one of PNuT's non tracs ECU's on my car and it has Tracs. I have had and have no problems using different model ABS ECU's on my car. You should be able to use a number of different ABS ECU's that are not specifically for your car.

mickhoon
Tuesday 30th September 2008, 20:30
Cheers folks.

T5n00b
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 23:25
At the risk of asking what has already been answered; My V70Rawd has tracs and ABS lights on, I have found the ecu controlery bit -8634411 on fleabay for 30quid. Anyone know if it will do the trick? salvaged from a V70 T5... sounds mega cheap to be the right bit knowing my luck. A pre-emptive thanks.