PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Boost and Oil Consumption.

Alex.
Saturday 27th September 2008, 18:08
Hi Guys,

I am getting more worried about the oil consumption in my '02 V40 T4. Since the last service 4k miles ago she has drunk 6.5 to 7 litres of Castrols finest.

Now the boost gauge is doing some strange things. It will go up when the turbo spools up and it will go down into negative boost when the engine is cold. But when the engine is warm the gauge sits at about 0 and does not go down!

Performance does not seem to be affected, but I'd rather catch any problem before it gets critical.

Any thoughts?

Alex.

abdul
Saturday 27th September 2008, 18:58
check for any leaks

jimka
Sunday 28th September 2008, 12:01
is it smoking underload? Smokey on start up? And loud tapping when engine cold?

Alex.
Sunday 28th September 2008, 18:04
She does smoke under load, especially going downhill at 30mph in 4th then flooring the throttle. Also she smokes more in the morning, but there is no loud or out of the ordinary noises.

Alex.

jimka
Monday 29th September 2008, 15:09
could be turbo seals, or a stinky value stem letting oil escape, creating the smoke.... can you see what colour it is?

Alan M
Monday 29th September 2008, 15:53
Do a compression test to see if your cylinder pressures are okay or down.

Alex.
Monday 29th September 2008, 18:38
I can see clouds of smoke out of the back window! It's light blue/white.

I'll see if I can track down a compression tester and give it a go. What size adapter would I need for the plug holes?

Alex.

ambu-phil
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 01:21
I am having a similar problem, driving nice and sensibly the car is fine and doesn't smoke at all but as soon as you boot it it starts blue smoking from 3500rpm upwards and then on deceleration back down through the revs....

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved!

Phil.