PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts.

Alan M
Saturday 27th September 2008, 16:11
I decided to fit new ones on the car today and its made so much of difference. The old one from the Timing belt end was kaput to say the least and the one off the subframe at the front wasn't far behind. I just have to do the rear one now when I get some more free time. I would advise anyone thinking about theirs to just go and do it as all my rattles I couldn't trace at the front have now gone. I've noticed my track rod ends need doing again so thats another job before the MOT. I am going to do the rear delta links to when the time is there. It's not a hard job if anyone wants to do it as the front subframe engine mount and the timing belt end mount only took about an hour and ten minutes. I just had to go out so the rear engine mount has to wait.

Niles
Saturday 27th September 2008, 16:27
well done. I've been considering doing this for a while. How much did the mounts cost you & where did you get them from? Any piccys alan?

pangster
Saturday 27th September 2008, 16:48
I decided to fit new ones on the car today and its made so much of difference. The old one from the Timing belt end was kaput to say the least and the one off the subframe at the front wasn't far behind. I just have to do the rear one now when I get some more free time. I would advise anyone thinking about theirs to just go and do it as all my rattles I couldn't trace at the front have now gone. I've noticed my track rod ends need doing again so thats another job before the MOT. I am going to do the rear delta links to when the time is there. It's not a hard job if anyone wants to do it as the front subframe engine mount and the timing belt end mount only took about an hour and ten minutes. I just had to go out so the rear engine mount has to wait.

i've got a full set sat here waiting to go on as well.. :)

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 27th September 2008, 17:58
Yeah, my front right one went while I was in Wales not long ago

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/01092008065.jpg

Just need to do the rest of mine too.

Like Alan said, piece of cake to replace

Alan M
Sunday 28th September 2008, 11:10
Thats near enough what mine was like Bomb once I got it off. The mounts come from FCP Groton and only set me back £85 delivered. I'm going to do the Torque arm aswell when I get it. I'm going to poly bush that one though. I didn't think to take any pics but I can take pics of the old mounts once I have all three off so you can see thier condition.

pangster
Sunday 28th September 2008, 11:39
Thats near enough what mine was like Bomb once I got it off. The mounts come from FCP Groton and only set me back £85 delivered. I'm going to do the Torque arm aswell when I get it. I'm going to poly bush that one though. I didn't think to take any pics but I can take pics of the old mounts once I have all three off so you can see thier condition.

I got all mine from FCP Groton as well - except the engine pad (cambelt side) which i got from Rufe.. i got a Powerflex poly bush for the small tie bar bush and I'm waiting on an IPD poly bush for the larger tie bar bush.. :)

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 28th September 2008, 18:13
Mine was completely buggered, it was knockin on the subframe.

I had to get mine from Rufe (what a great guy), as 1) its a genuine volvo part, and B) being the AWD, the mount is different (as far as I know) as there isn't one on the back of the engine.

Alan M
Sunday 28th September 2008, 18:37
Mine was completely buggered, it was knockin on the subframe.

I had to get mine from Rufe (what a great guy), as 1) its a genuine volvo part, and B) being the AWD, the mount is different (as far as I know) as there isn't one on the back of the engine.

That picture of the mount that you took looks exactly the same as the original one I took off. The design of the volvo one isn't much different to the pattern one I bought and the patten one believe it or not seems a really good part if not more up to more abuse than the old, only time will tell.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 28th September 2008, 22:08
The one I put on was different though (even had different part no.), it might have been done before with the wrong part. But then again, Volvo could have just used the same part and renumbered it LOL.

I have been looking for rear brake pads, and mine uses the same pads as the 960/V90, so I've managed to find them £10 - £15 cheaper!

pangster
Sunday 28th September 2008, 23:26
That picture of the mount that you took looks exactly the same as the original one I took off. The design of the volvo one isn't much different to the pattern one I bought and the patten one believe it or not seems a really good part if not more up to more abuse than the old, only time will tell.

i'm not sure what make your part was for that mount - but i came across this:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=103728

:eek:

Dangerous Dave
Monday 29th September 2008, 00:01
but i came across this:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=103728

What a tit.... "how do I undo my hub nut with the driveshaft loose", guess he never heard of using the brakes. Actually, is it safe to use the gearbox to hold the driveshaft still without breaking something? I know I wouldn't do it

pangster
Monday 29th September 2008, 00:08
What a tit.... "how do I undo my hub nut with the driveshaft loose", guess he never heard of using the brakes. Actually, is it safe to use the gearbox to hold the driveshaft still without breaking something? I know I wouldn't do it

lol!!.. i think you risk damage to the CV joint if you raise the engine more than 30mm when replacing the mounts... i guess you'd soon find out after the job! lol! :)

Alan M
Monday 29th September 2008, 07:59
I did the timing belt mount first. I then left the bolts to the side of the engine undone on that mount, I then raised the engine up after undoing the torque arm and undoing both top and bottom nuts on the front mount and only raising the engine to a point where I could just about get the front mount out. I did see the the drivers side CV joint was stretching in the boot a little and that is why I only raised it a little at a time. I undone the top engine mount aswell just to help. The joint in that link must have been nowhere near home to throw the engine out like that to break the mount where it did because the bottom half of the mount is all rubber.