PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelts too short???

dazat5
Friday 26th September 2008, 14:48
Hi all daft question but on a 850T5 Estate do they do longer seatbelts?, only reason im asking is i have 3 childseats and i cant use any of them because the seatbelts wont go around the back , they are too short...

Cheers

Tiny 12
Friday 26th September 2008, 14:56
When I was getting my baby seat fitted in anticipation for the little fella we had to try about 7 different car seats for one that they fit round…even that one takes a little “working”!!

apparently Volvo's are renowned for short rear seatbelts!!...dam skinny Sweds!!!

let me know if you can get longer ones...good luck!

yellowt5r
Friday 26th September 2008, 16:32
depending on the car seay you can buy a base unit for the baby seat BS standard as well so no worries.then all you do is click in the baby seat saves keep putting the seat belt on and off i used one for my little one.if you have a graco make let me knoe as i still have the base (1 year old now so in good nick) you can have it just pay the postage.

dazat5
Friday 26th September 2008, 16:39
nah its a mammas and pappas, it does have a base and the seatbelt goes through it, then the seat clips onto that, is that safe though? only having the belt on the base

yellowt5r
Friday 26th September 2008, 16:47
well it has been fully tested to BS standard my wife/me wouldnt risk our childs safety i honestly think its safe as i used it till my boy was big enough for the next seat remember they have been on the market for some time now if they wasnt safe you wouldnt be able to buy them from the shops/anywhere also you would of hear the problems in the papers, watchdog etc....

dant5
Friday 26th September 2008, 19:53
nah its a mammas and pappas, it does have a base and the seatbelt goes through it, then the seat clips onto that, is that safe though? only having the belt on the base

i had the same problem with mine.

the base unit is very good and safe, i was doing 70 on the duel carrigeway and someone pulled out in front of me doing no more than 35. anyway slammed the brakes on and the child seat didnt even move!

i would always use the base unit, also if you got to get the seat out quickly its not going to get caught on the belt.

Rufe
Friday 26th September 2008, 20:37
volvo dont do extensions, but saying that, all genuine volvo baby seats will fit no problem. volvo dont really worry about any other make fitting, as only the volvo ones are crash tested in their own vehicles

(clever from their point of view i suppose, but a PITA i admit).

stevenb
Saturday 27th September 2008, 23:09
i have same problem so i bought some seatbelt extensions for 20 quid they just clip into original clip and have a clip on other end for seatbelt and adjust for extension from 3'' to about 20''

jeleebaby
Sunday 28th September 2008, 09:49
Hi
We had a mammas and pappas primo viagio (sp?) when our daughter was a baby and the lap belt goes through the base and if I remember rightly the other bit goes round the seat, but its really tight. I did feel quite content that the seat was safe and secure though.

For second seats we had Britax renaissance and this was a really good secure seat, but the rear head rests had to be tilted all the way back for it to fit correctly.

Hope this helps you.

Jennie

dazat5
Sunday 28th September 2008, 10:09
i have same problem so i bought some seatbelt extensions for 20 quid they just clip into original clip and have a clip on other end for seatbelt and adjust for extension from 3'' to about 20''

Hi where did you buy them from?

dazat5
Sunday 28th September 2008, 10:29
no worries i googled them :), i didnt even know they existed, thanks for your help guys and gals

Cheers

TenaciousC
Sunday 28th September 2008, 10:39
These people will lengthen a belt if you send them them the spool. I think it costed about £30.

Quickfit SBS

Inertia House
Stanmore
HA7 1EP
Tel: 020-8206-0101

"Quickfit SBS offer bespoke belts, harnesses, restraints to the industry or the end user."

cookie
Sunday 28th September 2008, 16:26
Hi
We had a mammas and pappas primo viagio (sp?) when our daughter was a baby and the lap belt goes through the base and if I remember rightly the other bit goes round the seat, but its really tight. I did feel quite content that the seat was safe and secure though.

For second seats we had Britax renaissance and this was a really good secure seat, but the rear head rests had to be tilted all the way back for it to fit correctly.

Hope this helps you.

Jennie

was a few years ago, but we had exactly the same, and primo thing with the base was tight, but did mean seat was tight, I used to put my knee against it whilst cliping in seat belt, the renaissance again when fitting I used to kneel hard into seat, and yank belt so it locked rock hard in the red clip/guide thingy, never had a problem fitting seats, but yes they are very tight, but if seat belt is at max extension and seat is tight, then IMHO thats an advantage.

TenaciousC
Sunday 28th September 2008, 18:13
but if seat belt is at max extension and seat is tight, then IMHO thats an advantage.

I'm no expert but I would be wary of using the seat belt at max extension.... IMHO under pressure the belt stands more chance of being ripped from the spool as the force will act directly on the spool/belt join. If the belt is wrapped around the spool the force is acting at 90 degrees to the join and the belt will tension around the spool lessening the likelyhood of it being ripped out.

That is why I went for the lengthening option... also to avoid the inconvenience of wrestling with it on a weekly basis!

Cheers

C

TenaciousC
Thursday 15th July 2010, 15:43
Hi,

I now have an 850 estate. My last posts on this referred to an 850 saloon. Same problem with the belts being too short.

So I have ordered a spare seat belt real from Salvo which I intend to have extended by 12 inches to allow the fitting of a rear facing child seat in an 850 estate.

Has anyone successfully managed to get the upholstery off the seat to enable access?? The Haynes manual says it's a stealer job, as it requires special tools and damage to the upholstery is likely.

Cheers

C

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 15th July 2010, 16:48
I would caution against anyone doing seatbelt extending.

I researched child seats extensively last year and we bought a Maxi Cosi Tobi.

Exactly like this:

http://www.boots.com/en/Maxi-Cosi-Tobi-Car-Seat-Tango-Red_859152/?CAWELAID=334516267&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-MaxiCosi%20Tobi%20Car%20Seat%20Tango%20Red

It fits perfectly and plenty of belt length to accommodate.

Don't ever skimp or modify kids seats / fixings.

stan lee
Thursday 15th July 2010, 17:16
Had same prob in my 850 saloon, so i use a base plate which works great.Regarding the seat strip down its not hard at all ( i work in a dealer and do loads of leather repairs.....mainly due to the modern cheap leather fitted to new modles ) Just take your time and be carefull.

TenaciousC
Friday 16th July 2010, 07:51
I would caution against anyone doing seatbelt extending.

I researched child seats extensively last year and we bought a Maxi Cosi Tobi.

Exactly like this:

http://www.boots.com/en/Maxi-Cosi-Tobi-Car-Seat-Tango-Red_859152/?CAWELAID=334516267&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-MaxiCosi%20Tobi%20Car%20Seat%20Tango%20Red

It fits perfectly and plenty of belt length to accommodate.

Don't ever skimp or modify kids seats / fixings.

Whilst I appreciate your good intentions, what I am proposing is NOT dangerous and will be performed by an organisation adhering to European standard R16 and under ISO9002 quality control procedures and tested to European standard R16.

Slightly resentful of the implication here!! :mad:

C

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 20th July 2010, 13:25
Whilst I appreciate your good intentions, what I am proposing is NOT dangerous and will be performed by an organisation adhering to European standard R16 and under ISO9002 quality control procedures and tested to European standard R16.

Slightly resentful of the implication here!! :mad:

C

Thats ok I was under the impression you would be doing it yourself!

Still if you went with the car seat we did you need do no mods at all.

Cheers