PDA

View Full Version : mystery leak?????????

stainesy
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:36
ok here goes again. sumit els has gone rong with me car and this one isnt in my head. have noticed that the ssssssssss sound from the turbo is louder than normal as if there is a boost leak and the power feels as tho its leaking away to. but have chect all my pipes and there isnt a split or a bad conection in any of my hoses.

any ideas what this could be?

Alan M
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:38
A weak jubilee clip on the hoses may be.

Rob_ioClean
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:42
tbh you might be worth taking to a garage for a full once over, I took mine to russ at RT, they gave the whole car a once over, and gave me a list of everything that needed doing, was only £60 odd, well worth the piece of mind.

stainesy
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:42
A weak jubilee clip on the hoses may be.

thats the thing i have been round and chect all my conections today at work as it was a slow day and i cant find anything rong. but there is a defo louder SSSSSSSSSSS when turbo kicks in. used to have a ssssss but now have SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and it realy does feel as if the power is leaking away with the SSSSSSSS

Alan M
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 20:12
thats the thing i have been round and chect all my conections today at work as it was a slow day and i cant find anything rong. but there is a defo louder SSSSSSSSSSS when turbo kicks in. used to have a ssssss but now have SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and it realy does feel as if the power is leaking away with the SSSSSSSS

Take it to a good tuner. That way it can have a once over and have your mind put at rest knowing whats wrong and needs to be done. You could even get some pointers on what to do next.

stainesy
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 20:15
Take it to a good tuner. That way it can have a once over and have your mind put at rest knowing whats wrong and needs to be done. You could even get some pointers on what to do next.

theres no way i can aford to take my car to a tuner. i can barely aford fuel LOL

siamblue
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:12
come over to North Weald on Sunday and we will have a look over it for you,

Gary

stainesy
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:18
come over to North Weald on Sunday and we will have a look over it for you,

Gary

that would be great to have somebody that no,s what they are looking at take a look. where abouts and what time? is there a meet sunday?

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:25
theres no way i can aford to take my car to a tuner. i can barely aford fuel LOL

Buy a more economical car then lol. Yours sounds a bit dodgy, what with all the issues you have had since buying it. Time to get rid maybe.

when i had my t5-r it never missed a beat.

stainesy
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:28
Buy a more economical car then lol. Yours sounds a bit dodgy, what with all the issues you have had since buying it. Time to get rid maybe.

no i refuse to let it win LOL. i will have this car tip top one day. you lot will probly be fed up of me by then but it will be sorted oh yes. LOL

nobananas
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:31
Could possibly be a blocked/broken up cat, the back pressure produced could be leaking from a joint near the turbo producing a hiss and it would certainly reduce power. Would reduce boost as well.

stainesy
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:39
Could possibly be a blocked/broken up cat, the back pressure produced could be leaking from a joint near the turbo producing a hiss and it would certainly reduce power. Would reduce boost as well.

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm interesting. i do have abit of a blowy sounding exhaust thats abit bubbly sounding

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:49
no i refuse to let it win LOL. i will have this car tip top one day. you lot will probly be fed up of me by then but it will be sorted oh yes. LOL

Mine was nearly in tip top condition when i sold it,upgraded the wheels,suspension,brakes,rica304,carbon front splitter,trim panels,exhaust,repainted bonnet etc etc. The list was very long, as was the bill. Over £3000 on parts alone.I still wasn't happy though, so if your on a budget,these cars can cost a lot of money lol.

stainesy
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:52
thing is if i sell and buy a diferant car i run the risk of getting a car that may go rong to. at least with this i no what i have replaced and its alot. put to much money into this to give up now.

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 21:56
i know what you mean, but what i'm saying is these cars can't be run cheaply. Why don't you look into a more economical car. You say you can hardly afford the fuel lol.If something major goes wrong with it, what you going to do? A 5cyl turbo Volvo isn't as cheap as many other cars to repair

siamblue
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 22:55
that would be great to have somebody that no,s what they are looking at take a look. where abouts and what time? is there a meet sunday?

HI Mate my mistake it is actually this Saturday, I am picking some exhaust piping up around 1ish so will see you there shortly after around 1330,

Gary

For anyone that knew the Talbot, it’s very easy to find - Basically, when you get to the Talbot roundabout you take the B181 (High Road) signposted North Weald. Carry on along this road for around 0.5-1 mile and The Kings Head is on the left-hand side. For anyone else, its approx 5 miles from J7 of the M11

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=549700&y=203942&z=0&sv=cm16+6bu&st=2&pc=cm16+6bu&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

stainesy
Thursday 25th September 2008, 06:45
oh crap i dout i will beable to make it saturday.

Rob_ioClean
Thursday 25th September 2008, 08:14
oh crap i dout i will beable to make it saturday.

are you busy today?

stainesy
Thursday 25th September 2008, 16:44
are you busy today?

hello mate just got in from work. na was at work 2day.

i have just had a look at my engine and found sumit.
ok il try to explain what iv found.

the pipe that comes off my air filter box goes down and under the waist gate into what i think is the turbo. anyway just under the waist gate on the plastic pipe fvrom the airbox there is a rubber seal that pops into a hole in the plastic pipe. the rubber seal has 2 vacume tubes and what i think is a sensor in it. well the rubber seal has popped out of the plastic pipe as the rubber is coroded round the edge. i have put it back in and put a cable tie round it to hold it in place but still has the sssssss from engine. what is that? and could that be the cause of the problem?

dooby
Thursday 25th September 2008, 17:56
Hiya,

sounds like where the Positive Crankcase Ventilation hoses go back into the air intake to me. The 'sensor' is the PTC nipple temperature controller I think. Rufe posted a good diagram on another forum:

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3368

You mean around parts 9 and 13 in diagram 1?

If it's not air-tight there you may be sucking in unmetered air (the Mass Air Flow sensor won't have 'seen' it) which wouldn't be great news.

HTH, Pete

stainesy
Thursday 25th September 2008, 18:46
yeah thats the bit. the hole blooody thing has come out of the hole. im going to get some head proof silicone tomorow and put it back in. would that be causing the sssssss sound when i go into boost?

dooby
Thursday 25th September 2008, 19:16
You'd be hearing the turbo sucking in air, rather than a boost leak hissing out but yes I guess you'd hear the intake more clearly...

HTH, Pete

stainesy
Thursday 25th September 2008, 19:32
oh right coz yeah im getting the normal turbo sssssssssss but everynow and again another SSSSSSSSSSS aswell and when it gets loud i loose power. do you recon silicone will be ok to fix the rubber seal back in? its plastic and i dont think that bit gets hot.

Alan M
Thursday 25th September 2008, 20:11
Don't use silicone. The rubber that holds the PTC has a ridge around it that fits securely into the MAF hose. It can come out through an accidental pull or being knocked in the wrong place. Its best to remove the MAF hose and fit it back into place that way.

stainesy
Thursday 25th September 2008, 20:30
Don't use silicone. The rubber that holds the PTC has a ridge around it that fits securely into the MAF hose. It can come out through an accidental pull or being knocked in the wrong place. Its best to remove the MAF hose and fit it back into place that way.

ok nice1 i have tomorow off work to sort the car out. new vacume pipes all round and i will sort that pipe to.

danny-R
Friday 6th March 2009, 09:49
sorry to invade, but did you get round to changing pipes and has it sorted your problem
as i have same sort of boost leak but cant seem to find it
cheers