PDA

View Full Version : Are all Volvo S60's trouble??

mikest5
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 16:44
I am just wondering whether I may have bought a really bad choice in a Volvo? Got the car 3 months ago and its been slightly problematic to say the least....
Its a 2001 S60 T5 Geartronic, top of range with every single extra available, including TV and phone, automatic, 35,000 miles and full service history..Was an absolute pleasure to drive and was bought after just a 1 day test drive..
Then the problems started to appear, and now Im starting to wonder if I should have bought something else?
The first disaster was after having the car for only a week, and took the missus to M&S, only for the car to overheat, empty all its coolant in the carpark, and make me look line an idiot (primarily because i have no mechanical knowledge and stood staring blankly under the bonnet!).
The dealer who sold me the car came and collected it, and had it for a week while a new air conditioning and coolant module controller was replaced..
Then after another 2 weeks, came to use it and it would not start because of a completely flat battery. Managed to jump start it, and could hear a chirping noise, which the dealer decided may be a slightly worn belt.
He replaced the battery with a new one, and asked for the car to go in for a day while they checked and changed any faulty belt..
The car was dropped of in the morning at the garage, and collected after work, and they were ordering a new pulley as it was that what was worn not the belt..
2 days later they call me and ask me to take the car in again as they need the numbers off the alternator to order the pulleys as there are a few different variations...I agreed to drop it off the next morning, only for everything to fall apart on the way there, ending up with the pulley falling off, the belt burning out, and having to get it transported on a low loader..
They had it a full week and it then seemed like a new car (probably because most of it is!) when i got it back...I was happier than ever as the garage have always helped and sorted out the problems, even if a bit slow at doing it..and they have also extended the warranty for another 3 months as i was a little wary of having it back..But lo and behold i use the car today and now the bloody drivers window wont work!!! all the others work fine, but the drivers is very temperamental. And also every time i get in the car now the drivers door mirror instantly tilts to the sky, and doesnt stay where it should with the memory functions..So now i think the memory seats and mirrors are about to fail...

Has anyone else had a lot of problems, or have i just been unlucky???
I am only grateful that its all been repaired under warranty, but slightly scared of more things going wrong..
What other problems should i be wary of??

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 17:24
You need a new switch for the door, a lot of them get worn, or overheat (they use 12V to everything) as such the plastic can melt, stuff touches & it breaks.

Bout £25 off fleabay. (if you're lucky, the do go higher, make sure you have the right modle though!)

Tomcat is breaking a S60 just now, he could get you the switch panel no probs.... PM him for details....

lance
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 17:27
These are generally fairly reliable cars I have a 2000 v70 and its fast approaching 140k my only issues as such are noisy wheel bearings above 40 mph but not bad enough to know which one it actually is and the me7 doesnt always go as well as other times ie sometimes she want to do 140 other times it will go off the clock!
One major bill on these is when the etm goes and you are looking at around £500!

S60
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:02
i've got an s60 and not had any problems really so far had to get the pipe leading to the power steering pump changed cos it was leaking and now need to get the drop links changed aswell imo i think you've been unlucky thats all s60's are from what i've heard fairly robust cars

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:33
The best bit of volvos are the reliable tank you can drive forever reputation!

But I think the issues are more ware & tear than being sold a pup.

The etm thing is under a warranty if the car is under 100K. they sort the software too.

I know you may feel bad now, but once she gets good, you may find yourself in love with a car!

Stick with it for a few months, I guarantee you'll change your mind!

S60
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 18:51
once u go volvo u dont go back LMAO :thewave:

thebadger
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 19:02
Just think, the pump that went is probably due to the last owner going mad with the aircon every day!

The stealer probably left something out that caused the battery & alternator issue.

Just a bad string of mince from poor maintenance & worse repair jobs!

%&^$ happens!

Baj
Thursday 25th September 2008, 21:18
Mine is on 119k and the only problem I have ever had was a flat battery but that was my own fault.
I think you have just been unlucky. 35k seems a bit short for the belt pulleys to be knacked.

thebadger
Thursday 25th September 2008, 21:22
35k seems a bit short for the belt pulleys to be knacked.

Sounds like a bodged job by the stealer....

wegal
Friday 26th September 2008, 10:52
Think you have just been unlucky, they are pretty solid cars, you also seem to have a VERY good dealer who is sorting things without hassel, ok so you might say that they sold you a pup but in fairness they probably where not expecting these issues either.

Who is the dealer, after all the mark of a good company is not how they treat you when its all going right but how they treat you when its all going wrong.

Rufe
Friday 26th September 2008, 11:40
You need a new switch for the door, a lot of them get worn, or overheat (they use 12V to everything) as such the plastic can melt, stuff touches & it breaks.

Bout £25 off fleabay. (if you're lucky, the do go higher, make sure you have the right modle though!)

Tomcat is breaking a S60 just now, he could get you the switch panel no probs.... PM him for details....

i am not sure if they will work if fitted 2nd hand i will be honest.

i say this because they all require software to work, and there may be an issue if its allready had software for another vehicle. they may work, but i don't have any experience of fitting used parts as you can imagine we only fit new here, maybe someone can confirm this for certain. If you do go for 2nd hand be aware that you will still require software at a main dealer (or independent with ability to do software downloads), they wont just plug in and play.

New they are around £225 inc vat retail, plus £36.20 for the software plus any labour the dealer charges to do the software (usually around half hour labour, but vary's). there a re a couple of different modules depending on chassis number. (Just for the record while i have the price in front of me, our price is £197.66 inc vat and inc next day special delivery, if ordered by 1pm).

The seats and mirrors memory function are connected of course, but i believe both run through the DDM (drivers door module, or window switch pack). This means all the faults could be related, and new software or new switch and new software may solve all problems you mentioned. I've heard of similar problem on a later version of this model (05>), and it was a software issue, no new part required, so could be similar problem.

Generally, in my opinion S60's are a very good car, they have their problems like every other car, but i would happily own one, and that's saying something as i only get to their worst side really.

Simon :)

thebadger
Friday 26th September 2008, 16:05
Rufe, is new softwear required for a change of system (ie, different parts from the original type?).

I could understand that if it were say an S80 or V70 switch unit, but I'm told these are fairly generic to the v70 & s60.

I'll assume his dealer will sort it, but thought I'd chuck my 2p's worth at it for an alternative solution....

I also agree. S60, solid car, can last forever (well most of a lifetime) if maintained well!

Happy motoring!

mikest5
Friday 26th September 2008, 17:16
thanks guys for all the info, got it booked in next week for the new key and fob to be coded, and will get them to check all the electrics and switches, and will let you know if anything else happens