PDA

View Full Version : 2003 V40 T4 Sport NA52 FYU is a DOG, DO NOT BUY IT

Al115
Wednesday 24th September 2008, 14:24
Guys,

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of buying what initially appeared to be a rather nice dark grey 2003 V40 T4 Sport. It is in fact anything but rather nice - badly repaired after a frontal accident, ABS doesn't work, SRS and airbags are inoperative, alarm doesn't work, chassis alignment questionable, poor welding, poor spraying, I could go on!!! I have the full RAC vehicle inspection report here so I can say this with some confidence.

I still own the car, technically, but I very much hope it is on its way back to the seller for a refund!

Just wanted to post up here in case it comes back onto the market in its current state. It'd make a nice car if everything was fixed properly, but until then, don't touch.

readview
Thursday 25th September 2008, 08:42
Not something i'd be in the market for but well done for the heads up Alistair !

Al115
Thursday 25th September 2008, 16:25
And the trader who sold it to me is being a tosser... :)

RECIEVED THE REPORT TODAY...UPON LOOKING AT IT DOESNT SEEM TO BE AS BAD AS YOU WERE TRYING TO MAKE OUT IT WAS...THERE ARE ALSO A COUPLE OF ISSUES I WANT TO POINT OUT..
FIRSTLY THE MILEAGE NOW ON CAR HAS DONE OVER A 1000 MILES MORE..ONLY IN A FEW WEEKS SO CARNT BE THAT BAD????? ALSO I CANNOT MEET OR AGREE WITH THE DEMANDS OF REFUNDS YOU ARE WANTING..I.E. FUEL MONEY BACK??? REFUND ON REPORTS...THAT WAS YOUR CHOICE NOT MINE...I OFFERED TO HAVE CAR CHECKED OUT....ALSO THERE ARE NO RECEIPTS TO PROVE COST??? ALSO IT IS NOT DOWN TO ME TO COLLECT...I AM GOING TO SHOW GARAGE THIS REPORT SEE WHAT THEY SAY... WITH THE FINANCIAL DEMANDS ETC YOU ARE ASKING FOR I CANNOT SEE THIS BEING RESOLVED BY MUTUAL AGREEMENT....

His facts are wrong for starters, and I am inclined to post the RAC report up here just to give you guys some laughs!!!

I think this might be one for the Small Claims Court. Shame, I was hoping to avoid the hassle!

Oh well.

Baj
Thursday 25th September 2008, 20:28
Agreed he should refund if a dealer.
Wonky chassis sounds quite serious. I would be interested to know how he can spin that to not sounding too bad.
Trying to get the fuel refunded is pushing it a bit IMO

Al115
Thursday 25th September 2008, 23:30
"Not too as you were trying to make out it was" had me going as well! It's ££££ed! Can't upload the RAC report here as PDF too big but will try to get it hosted somewhere tomorrow and then we can all have a giggle :D :D :D

Didn't ask for a fuel refund, he made that bit up!!! :)

And the bit about 1000 miles, he put a few on it during delivery so I got it at 78k plus (nice eBay ad stating "77,000" - what, 77k dead? my arse!)

Asked for the delivery charge refunded, also the cost of the independent inspections (required to prove that the lemon was, in fact, a lemon..)

Cheers Baj... think this will be a long one.

Al115
Thursday 25th September 2008, 23:41
Here's the RAC report, for those that are interested... it makes for an amusing read:

http://www.naiad.org.uk/tomra1969_dodgy_volvo_t4.pdf

CONDYBOY
Friday 26th September 2008, 00:29
I don't blame you for taking it back to the seller. Even just the engine mounts would have me demanding a refund! Good luck mate. thanks for the heads up.

Stevie-Boy
Friday 26th September 2008, 09:33
With a report like that, surely there is no argument unless he has spent the money and trying to wangle out of it.

That's a heavy report, feel for you that you are in this situation and hope it turns out the way it should.

Al115
Friday 26th September 2008, 09:42
Thanks guys. I think he is indeed trying to wriggle out. Or else I am supposed to believe that the things mentioned in the report (ABS, Airbags, Alarm, Aux Belt, and that's just the ones beginning with "A") aren't that important???? :D

rs_andy
Friday 26th September 2008, 13:52
blimey, what a shed!

just goes to show these reports need doing, preferably before you part with the dollar.

Hope you get it sorted out.

stephenevans99
Friday 26th September 2008, 21:19
Wow...That's the first time I've seen one of those reports....very in depth.

I really hope that you get your money back and that you get it back quickly. The only question going through my mind is, with respect to the condeming report, how did you buy it in the first place.

The report refers to the bonnet/wings as being second hand & poorly painted with the previous colour showing through, this car sounds to be a dog. If I won a car on ebay and upon collection it wasn't as described or portrayed, I'd definately refuse to buy it.

Loadsamiles
Saturday 27th September 2008, 17:13
Guys,

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of buying what initially appeared to be a rather nice dark grey 2003 V40 T4 Sport.

Should have gone to specsavers.

Sorry to sound callous, but any muppet should have spotted some of those issues and further examined the car before parting with cash.

Thinga like no ABS, No foglights, no airbags, poor paintwork, faulty air con, bad welding etc etc should all be easily spottable.

Considering you're still on such good terms with SW Auto's you could have at least borrowed a PPC dignostic box to check the car before purchsing.

I hope it was not "sold as seen" which so many used cars are these days.

Was it a private individual you purchsed it from?
If so I reckon you're stuffed.

stephenevans99
Saturday 27th September 2008, 17:46
Should have gone to specsavers.

Sorry to sound callous, but any muppet should have spotted some of those issues and further examined the car before parting with cash.

Thinga like no ABS, No foglights, no airbags, poor paintwork, faulty air con, bad welding etc etc should all be easily spottable.

lol.....that's what I wasn't brave enough to say !!

Hope this gets sorted though.

Al115
Sunday 28th September 2008, 16:59
I'm obviously too trusting!

Spotted the aircon and foglights and negotiated on that, but missed the SRS light (muppet as you say). Bad welding only visible from underneath. Paintwork isn't instantly obvious in the evening half-light.

Guy is a trader so I'm not overly worried about getting my cash back. Cheers for the helpful comments though guys :)

jonno12
Sunday 28th September 2008, 17:06
crickey seems like the only decent thing was the tyres going by the report hope you get it sorted mate

Al115
Sunday 28th September 2008, 17:16
Interior is in good nick and it drives well, as the report says. Superficially, it looks OK. Take a proper look at it and you realise that it's not quite as it appears! Thanks Jonno.

Oh, and nowhere did it say on the advert / was it ever mentioned "sold as seen"... or I would have taken much more care.

We live and learn...!

cookie
Sunday 28th September 2008, 23:09
have you still got link to Ebay ad, was it bidded for in an auction, classified add, BIN or Best Offer purchase, as obviously sketch details on an auction and you have little comeback, long description on a Best Offer/BIN or Classified and you should have decent leg to stand on. With Just the report to see, its a very one sided view.

Also whats a few weeks, and is there a reason why its taken a few weeks to verify it has what seem to be obvious defects

Al115
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 11:44
Update... just to let you all know that this has now been resolved and the car is back with the trader in question. I don't know what will happen to it, but won't be seeing it again!

Lesson learned and all that :)

pangster
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 12:01
Update... just to let you all know that this has now been resolved and the car is back with the trader in question. I don't know what will happen to it, but won't be seeing it again!

Lesson learned and all that :)

not like Joules (Loadsamiles/Nuisance/Sir Dribblealot) and Ben (Cookie/Lord B) to come on here and try and stir it on a thread! ROFL!!! :) "one sided story" from an RAC report? FPMSL!!!

Glad you got it sorted in the end Alastair! :) and that it didn't take too long or you didn't have to resort to the hassle of court action! :)

Al115
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 12:06
Thanks - great news. It did in fact require the court process to resolve, but we settled out-of-court in the end.

pangster
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 12:20
Thanks - great news. It did in fact require the court process to resolve, but we settled out-of-court in the end.

It's a pity you had to go through that hassle! - still at least it's resolved now! With any luck the car will be scrapped or crushed.. but by the sounds of it the ticket price has just went up to cover the costs of the court case! lol!!! - at least you've warned everyone about it! :)

Al115
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 12:28
Yep I expect it will go back on the market, but hopefully it might see some repairs first...

He offered me a significant amount of money to keep the car in the end, but we just don't know how extensive the damage is (crash sensor? ABS controller?... who knows...) and I don't need the hassle of finding out!

Hopefully the next buyer will be making an informed purchase.

Murphy
Wednesday 5th November 2008, 13:37
That is scary to read knowing that sort of thing still goes on, but great news all is resolved!

T4 NEIL
Thursday 28th July 2011, 08:24
Having just read all this, I'm hoping not to have this much hassle!

Haizum74
Thursday 28th July 2011, 11:11
Would it be worth making a sticky and listing those dodgy cars that are out there and the faults they had and updating as it goes on?

antz
Thursday 28th July 2011, 11:47
Would it be worth making a sticky and listing those dodgy cars that are out there and the faults they had and updating as it goes on?

Well I can account for where NA52 FYU is. Its in the carpark at my work :wink: and in better order than when this thread was started. It was a bit of a dog when I bought it but then, it was cheapy cheap.

Al115
Thursday 28th July 2011, 13:30

I think that is a great idea.

I was relying on Google to flag up NA52 FYU based on a single thread on here (which it does) - but a sticky on here with a list of known "dodgy Volvos" would help the whole community.